Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2007 :  7:00:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
Tonight we had tilapia, drunken pasta with beets and swiss chard and breaded fried zucchini slices. For dessert we had homemade frozen hot chocolate.

pics from my world.. http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/tra-dun/
Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2007 :  7:19:41 PM  Show Profile
We had chile relleno casserole and a yummy salad...

steam baby red potatoes (cut into uniform chunks before steaming, leave skin on)
mix with either fresh or canned corn
add cut up tomatoes or cut up cherry tomatoes (I used the latter)
add diced onion or some onion powder
add some basil, lemon juice, and olive oil
toss gently and add some salt/pepper
yummy!

Crunchy crafty goodness and psychoses...;-)http://nashbabe.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2007 :  7:24:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Tonight we ordered in Pizza since that is what my father in law wanted. Yummy but basically junk food. Oh well. The rest of this week will be better.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2007 :  7:52:19 PM  Show Profile
We had panini sandwiches tonight! Dh got a panini press thingy and he loves it. I am glad he does because that means he is doing the cooking! He made turkey and cheese panini sandwiches and he put some cranberries on them too.
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  06:51:49 AM  Show Profile
Tonight it will be a roasted chicken (maybe with beer and a little honey with spices mixed in), potatoes, sauteed string beans, biscuits and yellow squash. Then tomorrow we will have leftovers for lunch since we have a party tomorrow evening.
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  6:35:30 PM  Show Profile
We had steak with a port wine and shallot reduction and garlic mashed potatoes. And brownies for dessert. It was SOOO good...

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com

New Rt 66 blog: http://historyinthemaking.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  7:21:44 PM  Show Profile
We cheated a bit tonight and got sandwiches out! We had a bazillion errands to run when dh got home from work and it just go too late for us to bbq the steaks I was planning for dinner tonight! We will have them tomorrow!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  9:07:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am so wiped out and I need to go to bed because I am doing Farmer's Market in the morning. I will probably just eat a tuna fish sandwich or something. I know- Not very inspired...but oh well! Sometimes it is good to fall back on the classics.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2007 :  6:51:17 PM  Show Profile
What did everybody end up having today? We had gnocchi (which I taught myself to make just today) with andouille sausage and beer. Yum yum!

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com

New Rt 66 blog: http://historyinthemaking.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2007 :  7:11:23 PM  Show Profile
We had the steaks I was suppose to make last night along with baked potatoes and corn on the cob!!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2007 :  8:13:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It looks like we are going to have beef stroganoff tonight. It is kind of a cheating meal because we use cream of mushroom soup. It certainly isn't organic and it isn't really the best meal, but we are both so tired and Doug is cooking. At least it isn't hamburger helper which he actually likes...

Alee
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2007 :  8:15:22 PM  Show Profile
First of all what in the world is a "gyro"? :)
We had chili dogs - yes I checked to see that it wasn't recall chili- and chips. Blue Bell ice cream for desert. This time of year I start longing for some "gumbo weather".It's time for a good gumbo!!!
Autumn

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2007 :  07:26:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
A gyro is a greek sandwich usually on pita bread. The meat is a mixture of beef and lamb that is mushed together (kindof like meatloaf) and then cooked on a spit. Usually it is served with Feta cheese, and Tzaiki (sp?) sauce which is a yogurt/cucumber/dill sauce. I like mine with onions, lettuce and tomatoes. Yummy :)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2007 :  7:36:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
For us it was leftover chicken noodle cassrole, peas and marinated veggie salad. last night, we had it with fresh green beans but when I checked the garden today, there weren't enough beans for supper. The beans are just getting big enough to eat.

pics from my world.. http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/tra-dun/
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2007 :  7:45:26 PM  Show Profile
Alee
That gyro just doesn't sound good to this cajun. It seems like a funny mixture of flavors.
Did you ever eat a real gumbo or boudin? Food is so different way up there-
I'm enjoying hearing what ya'll cook.

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2007 :  7:51:30 PM  Show Profile
Tonight we had hamburgers.....very quick and simple!!
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2007 :  7:57:25 PM  Show Profile
I made my first BakeOver tonight. Kind of funny you all were talking about gyros because I made sort of a Greek BakeOver. I had some ground lamb and didn't know what to make with it, so I used it, some summer squash and zucchini, feta and parmesan cheeses, and basil. It was really good! I ate most of it myself! My son actually liked it too, and he's a picky little 2 1/2 year old!
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2007 :  9:06:22 PM  Show Profile
Chicken Pot Pie tonight. I think it must be my spouse's favorite, since it's the only meal he actually asks me to make. He eats to live, I live to eat..so he mostly will just eat whatever I make and never comments one way or another. Last night was Brisket left over from what I cooked on the BBQ the day before. Sliced and simmered it in BBQ sauce and served with fresh pineapple and fried potatoes. I buy a whole brisket and usually have enough for several meals.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2007 :  9:15:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Autumn-

I don't think I have ever had what you would call a real gumbo- no. I don't really like food that make my mouth burn- is your very spicy? My fiance, Doug, loves hotly spiced foods. The hotter the better. His dad bought a case of shrimp boil when he was in New Orleans. It has a great flavor but is way to spicy for me! LOL

The Gyro is good- I didn't think I would like it until I ate one. Someone actually had to buy one for me! Now I love them!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  06:05:24 AM  Show Profile
Most people think cajun food HAS to be hot & spicy- not true.
A true gumbo is a luscious soup full of flavor and rich and filling.
New Orleans is almost like another country to some of us in louisiana. I've never been-dont plan to ever go. It's called "sin-city" for a reason.
I've eaten gumbo only once away from La and understood then that it is a VERY regional food. It changes the farther away from the "home kitchens" it gets.(Much less like the real thing)
How did you use the shrimp boil? Some people sprinkle it-though it is too spicy for most folks I know. We don't even boil shrimp in it- we just boil em with plenty of salt and season with Tony's(another regional spice).

Eating organic around here is challenging to say the least- some of us have to settle for getting close. Not only is is expensive but in very limited supply. Even though I'm in the country we don't have a garden-(please dont throw me out of the group) :) so I depend on Kroger organics for now.
Autumn

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  06:06:46 AM  Show Profile
***Hey Autumn*** Looking for a good gumbo recipe--have my daddy's, who was from Louisiana, and it's GOOD, but always looking for new additions...

Ronna, that's funny you said, your husband "eats to live...."mine is the same--or at least he was when we first met. To this day, he's only gained a pants size (30 now, first 2 years of our marriage was 28--AHEM) but now he REALLY likes to eat, but only MY food, so we don't get out much

Last night, I put up 8 pints of bread and butter pickles, so the kitchen was pretty hot and I didn't feel much like cooking, so we had toasted onion bagels with cream cheese and salami, and homemade apple turnovers with sugar glaze for dessert. The bagel sandwich is a really good comfort food for us.

Saturday night--stuffed red bell peppers with sundried tomato wild rice and ground beef, along with sweet corn. Yum!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  06:07:45 AM  Show Profile
I'd like to hear from someone who has used the Chill-Over powder. Some of my friends are interested but not sure about it. Anybody have firsthand experience?
Autumn

Go to Top of Page

EagleNest
True Blue Farmgirl

192 Posts

Mary
Yakima WA
192 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  08:01:46 AM  Show Profile
I love Chill Over. It works with any liquids. You can make jello like fruit desserts or pudding like chocolate, My favorite is a Cayenne Chocolate. There are recipes in MJF's magazines and book. I like getting away from the beef based jello. Another plus is that it doesn't melt in the heat like jello products . But the texture is different. It took my sons' a while to get use to the texture. I think it is a great product and I've been very pleased with all of the results.

PS It cooled off a little yesterday so we had clam chowder and corn bread.
Mary

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Gal 5:22
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  08:35:34 AM  Show Profile
Jonni,
Larry eats plenty...and both of us weigh 60# more than when we first got married 45 years ago. With him being gone half the time, working in Alaska, he doesn't like to eat out when he's home. He eats too much salty snacks and too much sodas and that keeps the weight up. I love to enjoy my food and trouble is, I like my own cooking too! Nothing in our little town that's worth eating at, so if we want to go out (which rarely happens and only if we go to Reno for something else or on a trip), it's a 45 minute drive each way. I eat what and where I want when he's gone, so it works out okay.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  10:01:56 AM  Show Profile
Ronna--Oh, he's like mine, too! I bet there isn't too much foodwise in Alaska, and some men just don't cook for themselves. If I didn't cook for Justin, he'd eat doritos, or a bag of donuts, or my personal favorite, a lb. of bacon.
When we first started dating, he was fairly unhealthy (the above referenced food items give you any idea?) even though he was still thin--painfully thin. He only weighed 127 lbs...now he weighs 131. He would even go through periods where he didn't have an appetite for 5 days or so and wouldn't eat.

I guess I'm glad he likes my food, though it would be nice to go out once in a while!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's for dinner tonight? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page