DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  9:46:21 PM  Show Profile
I find it so hard to know what to cook for hungry but hot workers. Tonite I baked some really nice talapia and made a mango/salsa type thing to put over it. We had broccoli from the garden and I took Largo zucchini slices, topped them with tomato slices and asiago and broiled them. The Largo zucchini is a new variety for us and I really really like it...it doesn't get soggy or spongy the way regular zucchini does.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  9:59:32 PM  Show Profile
Now THAT sounds wonderful!!! I love mango anything and talapia...to die for!! YUM!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

EagleNest
True Blue Farmgirl

192 Posts

Mary
Yakima WA
192 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  11:08:59 PM  Show Profile
We used leftover taco meat and had Taco Salad. And lot and lots of fresh raspberries with yogurt. I bought a flat of raspberries today. Froze half and we will eat the other half. One son finished up last night's cold corn bread. The rest of us worked on peach cobbler. I have fresh green beans for green beans and hamhock tomorrow night with more raspberries and peach cobbler. (If there is any left)

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Gal 5:22
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  1:52:39 PM  Show Profile
It's too hot to cook. Stuie made his famous Antipasto salad last night - a huge salad filled with roast beef, turkey and cheeses, plus the lettuces, spinach, red bell peppers, carrots, a couple of different kinds of olives, marinated artichokes and we had TJs parmesan crackers with it. And iced coffee. I made a blueberry sour cream pound cake (I love fresh blueberries). Julie Bell came over for dinner. She brought cheese scones and a potato-rosemary bread from the culinary school. so tonight is leftovers. Yummy!

check out my etsy site http://ThePlayfulFarmgirl.etsy.com

Take me home, country roads
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  3:00:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
yum Patricia! And I bet it was fun having Julie over! I am going to be eating left overs tonight as well. The spagetti/lasagna thing was a hit!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  6:16:04 PM  Show Profile
We had a simple taco salad tonight!!
Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  7:15:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
I had jazzericse tonight, so the guys had baked potatoes and sausages. I had leftover chickpea, broccoli and zucchini bean patties with homeade tomatoe sauce.

pics from my world.. http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/tra-dun/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  8:37:07 PM  Show Profile
Hey, guess what we had? Penne with homemade Pesto and chicken sauteed in white wine. AGAIN. I may have mentioned a few posts before in this thread, dh says, "your pesto is the new meatloaf"....

Now he's asking if I want more basil plants!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  1:03:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
That is funny Jonni, lol.. I have a cold frame full of sweet basil, want some?? I cut it back this morning and froze a mess of it for winter use. Then I covered over the frame with screening to prevent insect damage again.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  6:55:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think I am just going to have Cheese and Crackers or something like that for dinner. I don't feel like cooking! :) I am going to make cabbage burgers tomorrow with cabbage from MaryJane's Farm!!! I have never seen cabbage that is so nice and compact before! It is beautiful! It is almost a shame to be chopping it up! LOL

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  10:11:58 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I give, what are cabbage burgers and hw do you make them?
Carol Sue

Enjoying the moments.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2007 :  12:54:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Carol Sue!

Cabbage Burgers are a German food that is a big hit in my hometown area in Wyoming.

First you start off by making up a batch of fresh bread dough (or defrost uncooked bread dough that you can by at the grocery store). While it is rising or defrosting you make the filling.

Scramble hamburger and chop in a food processor:
Cabbage
Carrots
Celary
Onions
Garlic

Cook the veggies together and add to browned hamburger meat. Season to taste. I usually use salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder, a little chili powder sometimes, and italian seasoning. You can add anything from tabasco to just salt and pepper if you want.

Once your dough has risen and your veggies are all cooked together with the meat, roll out the dough as thin as you can. Take a cereal bown and turn it upside down on the dough and use as a template. Cut about half an inch around the bowl. Turn bowl right side up. Lay dough circle on top like a lid. Put a good sized dollup of meat/cabbage mix in middle of dough lid. Then bring the sides of the dough lid together like a drawstring purse. Pinch to make a seal and cut off extra dough. Make sure you give plenty of dough so it isn't bursting apart, but not so much that bottom of burger is going to be doughy and uncooked.

Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray and bake at bread baking temp in oven until bread is golden brown. Anywhere from 10-20 minutes depending on dough and thickness. I usually eat mine hot and with ketchup. They freeze very nicely. Just freeze in baggies and to reheat- put in microwave while still frozen and zap them for 2-3 minutes! Yummy!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2007 :  1:23:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi Carol Sue

Tonight will be a Marinated Pasta salad with homemade sourdough bread

160z of whole wheat Penna Pasta
2 small jars of marinated artichokes ( chop artichokes and KEEP juice)
1 package of button mushrooms ( slice them)
1 can of Black Olives ( slice them)
Feta Cheese (optional)
Cook the pasta till tender. Drain. Drop in mushrooms and chopped artichokes ( with juice). Stir add black olives. Stir. Let set for about 15 minutes. Add cheese if you want and ENJOY

I think vanilla ice cream and fresh berries for dessert.

NOW I AM HUNGRY

there is a seed to plant in every heart
Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2007 :  3:46:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
I bought some Highland ground beef at my farmers market. I wanted to taste test it and compare it to the Angus/Devon beef. Making bugers from the highland and baked cheese fries, along with chili, garlicy sauteed green beans.

Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2007 :  6:13:23 PM  Show Profile
It is just too hot here to cook but I did anyway! I made a quick chicken stir fry with tons of fresh veggies!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2007 :  6:58:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Okay- I am really craving protein tonight. I know it is a major component of breast milk so I suppose my body is telling me what to eat tonight. I am making some hard boiled eggs! Yum! And i already ate more than my fair share of cheese!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2007 :  9:11:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Tonight we cut up some chuck roast and had them as steaks. We also had some cheese ravioli with parmesean and seasonings. It was yummy, but for some reason I am thinking Green Beans. So I might go make some really quick :)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2007 :  9:14:19 PM  Show Profile
It was just dh and I eating here tonight (ds was at a birthday party and dd went to the beach with friends) so we grilled hamburgers and had a big salad.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2007 :  10:03:33 PM  Show Profile
We WERE going to barbque some steaks (t-bones hoarded in the freezer) but it was SO hot here today (over 100) and we were so lazy and worn out from gardening that we had cornbread and home canned peaches and milk. Not much of a supper..but we had a big breakfast and cottage cheese and tomatoes for lunch (my favorite!) so we were okay. I LOVE my cornbread recipe...just right! and all gone now.
We will have those steaks tomorrow..picked enough greens for a salad to go with them and got a loaf of french bread ready too...so tomorrow is planned. I usually plan for a week at a time on Sunday night but didn't get a menu made this week and have been floundering all week long. Well, mostly cuz of the heat I think!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2007 :  9:29:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My Father in law to be took me out for dinner. I had a salad with grilled salmon on it :) Yummo!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  07:27:22 AM  Show Profile
Well, I don't know what I'm making tonight, but last night I made 100% kosher tostadas with homemade salsa, homemade guacamole, and homemade refried beans, as well as shredded cheddar and monterey jack cheeses, sour cream, and corn tortillas (I get the kosher corn tortillas and then sautee them in olive oil). I made Mexican hot cocoa with cinnamon for dessert.
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  08:29:23 AM  Show Profile
same for me!! Have NO idea what so ever what we'll do tonight.. But last night.. Sunday.. was our big Family Dinner together..
All the Kids try to make it home for Dinner on Sunday's.. & did last night..
We had Fried Chicken, Mashed Potatoes & Gravy, Corn..
Biscuts, & beofre dinner was finished earlier in the day we'd made fried green tomatoes, Fried Okra & A batch of Gizzards & Hearts!
We had Ice Cream for Dessert!
Yes.. our Arteries must have been hardening while i was cooking.. & everyones cholesteral shot up several points yesterday too..
But whats a family get together with out all that fun?

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  08:36:12 AM  Show Profile
I don't know...I have some frozen salmon patty mix that I made last week. They had wild chum salmon on sale at the grocery store. It's very low-quality salmon (they call it "dog salmon" in Alaska because it's considered food for huskies), but it makes fabulous salmon patties (I don't eat canned fish). Maybe I'll defrost those and fry them up. I'm going to make some quickbread with chocolate, bananas, and dried cherries this afternoon, and we've got a ton of broccoli in the house...so I guess that will make a good dinner.
Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  4:03:07 PM  Show Profile
I don't think I am going to cook tonight.....it is still just way too hot here. I think we are going to eat out of the garden tonight. We have more tomatoes than I know what to do with! Cucumbers are ready too and it is taking all my patience to just leave the watermelon alone! I want so badly to pick it and cut it open! Dh has called me several times today to remind me to "stay away from my garden!" LOL I think he is worried I am going to snag the watermelon and he doesn't trust me!! I also have cottage cheese and lots of fruit we can eat!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  7:32:19 PM  Show Profile
Tonight: Tuna Steaks with herbed aoili (fresh herbs from the garden) green beans with balsamic vinegar and shallot butter (also from the garden) and "green" rice with herbs.

Tomorrow night it's Cowboy Stew, from a few months back (Farmkitty's recipe). Had a pork roast in the freezer I wanted to use up and money is TIGHT this week. Forces me to be creative

Wednesday night I have family coming in from Atlanta, and dh has already requested homemade pesto, penne with chicken. I'll probably add a loaf of italian bread, sea salt and roasted garlic head as an appetizer, along with a nice salad.

And Thursday....I've NO idea.

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's for dinner tonight? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page