Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince Next Topic
Page: of 2

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  2:08:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
I am new to this website, and am very interested in all the subjects that are posted here, although it is hard to try farming organically when I'm living in the city and trying to go to school at the same time. But I can talk about HP!!! I was so excited to see a huge message board about #6!! I don't know if anyone who is a fan wouldn't continue to love Rowling's style. She sure knows how to throw a wrench into the mix doesn't she? I pre-ordered it and was so frustrated when the mailman finally brought it at 3pm. How long is a girl supposed to wait?
Hopefully it won't be another two years before #7 comes out!!
Go to Top of Page

primjillie
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Jill
Antelope CA
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  1:11:09 PM  Show Profile

I am so excited to see this thread! I loved book 6, but it was also very sad. I am almost afraid to read book 7! I never thought I would like this type of fiction (I am an avid reader), but after reading the first one, I was hooked. I read that J.K. Rowling is starting book 7 after the first of the year. She wants to spend time with her baby before she gets immersed in writing again. She does say that the last chapter was written a long time ago and is locked up in her safe. I can hardly wait! I think it is great that children are reading again. I think it is so sad with all the video games and cable television, that many kids never read at all.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  4:17:59 PM  Show Profile
I am answering this with all four of my kids at home sitting reading..haha
I really enjoyed book 6 and can't wait to see how it all ends up. Interesting how it was more info this time (and surprizes!) and hardly any Quidditch, and after Nevel was so important in book5 he was not at all in book 6. I hope it dosn't take 2 years for the next one too!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

Erthdancr
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Rebecca
Gregory Michigan
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  6:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Erthdancr an AOL message
We got the book the night it came out. (Hubby works for a national book chain, so that helped a little..LOL) My daughter, middle son and I have read all of them. Daughter has the book with her at Grammie's house, so it'll be another 2 weeks before I can get my hot little hands on it.

Rebecca

An immaculate house is the sign of a wasted life.
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  3:58:30 PM  Show Profile
Nicol, I agree with you, I want the next book!!
But the next movie is coming out in Nov, anyway thats what I heard
Shirley in oly
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  5:10:29 PM  Show Profile
I finally finished book 6 over the weekend, and I am full of theories and ideas, so if anyone wants to send me a message to discuss so as not to spoil anyone else, please do so.

And to jump into the "controversy" of the HP books, I am sorry, but I just don't get it. Since most people who are anti-the books haven't read them, it's really difficult for me to accept any reasons they might give. With that said, I'd like to respectfully ask therusticottage what your "biblical beliefs" are that keep you (or your daughter) from reading them? Because to me, one of *the* main themes of the books has been the power of love - the power that it has to protect, particularly in terms of parent (or parent-like) and child. I also think the books very clearly show right from wrong (or evil vs. good). Just mho.
Go to Top of Page

Anastasia
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Anastasia
Telkwa BC
Canada
56 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  8:05:21 PM  Show Profile
I was so excited about the 6th book that I asked my brother to buy a copy and Xpress Post it up here to the Arctic! It came in on the plane last Saturday and I managed to fit it in to my work schedule and have it read by Monday. Heheheh. Good fun, she's a wonderful writer. It was sad...not sure if I want to read the 7th just 'cause it'll be the last and that's that!

I, too, am an avid reader and have never understood the book burning thing. I think you will find whatever you want in a story; that is both the strength and the weakness of fiction. If no one identified with the characters/story/setting/whathaveyou in some way, the book would be a dud.

Going out on a limb here, and counting on everyone to remember the Freedom of Religion ideal, for those of us who follow a different spiritual path, much of what the Christian Right seem to believe about witches has absolutely nothing to do with reality. These HP books are stories, just like the fairy tales, song lyrics, poetry, advertising campaigns (that fill our heads with impossible ideals), movies, etc. that make up our society. If a child (or adult for that matter), is brought up to be intelligent and educated, then that person should be able to tell the difference between fantasy and reality, whether or not it's based on religious principles.

An imagination is a terrible thing to waste, yes?

Blessings,
Anastasia :)

"Speciality is for insects." -Robert Heinlen
Go to Top of Page

lirene
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Irene
WA
16 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  09:20:36 AM  Show Profile
Originally posted by laluna
I finally finished book 6 over the weekend, and I am full of theories and ideas, so if anyone wants to send me a message to discuss so as not to spoil anyone else, please do so.

Hi, laluna --

I'd really like to talk about your theories (I've got a bunch, too) but don't know how to reach you off list. I'm new here and haven't quite figured it all out!

lirene

Trillium Woods
Latitude 46.905, Longitude -122.316
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  04:35:49 AM  Show Profile
lirene,

Hi there! I just realized that my profile page doesn't have my contact info. I will remedy that now and hopefully I'll hear from you. Also, I haven't been around my computer much lately, so hopefully you'll still get this message. :-)
Go to Top of Page

lirene
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Irene
WA
16 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  07:44:01 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Laluna --

I've just checked -- no contact info for you yet. I'll keep checking.
I'm listening to The Half-Blood Prince on CD for the second time, and I keep finding more dangling threads!

lirene

Trillium Woods
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  3:33:37 PM  Show Profile
I just finished the Half-Blood Prince last night. When I had about 10 pages to go till the end, I kept thinking there better be an explanation pretty quick. Little did I realize there wouldn't be! Boy, I can't wait for the next book because there sure are a lot of things to clear up. This one sure was a cliff hanger. I have some ideas, but you never know. I would love to hear your ideas on the book; email me if you'd like. Jan

Edited by - owwlady on Aug 24 2005 3:45:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  12:04:40 PM  Show Profile
@lirene...sorry about that - I can't remember my password to update my profile, and I'm not sure how to rememdy that. I'll try and contact the board this weekend and hopefully will be all set in a few days. But all I will say here is that I don't believe Snape is what he seems. (How's that for "cryptic"? ;-)
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  2:10:55 PM  Show Profile
Laluna, I don't believe anything at the end of the book is what it seems, do you?
Go to Top of Page

lirene
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Irene
WA
16 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  10:17:25 PM  Show Profile
quote:
But all I will say here is that I don't believe Snape is what he seems.

I agree, Laluna. I think you can contact me through my profile even if I can't contact you. There are just too, too many dangling threads at the end of this last book...
lirene

Trillium Woods
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  1:07:49 PM  Show Profile
@lirene - Finally got my profile updated - sorry for the delay!

@owwlady - *nothing* is what it seems at the end, is it? ;-)

p.s. has anyone seen the trailer for Goblet of Fire yet? It looks amazing!
Go to Top of Page

AuntieJen
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Jenny
Tacoma WA
9 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  3:19:56 PM  Show Profile
I saw the trailer....just finished re reading the book. Can't wait to see the movie!! I think I'm going to have withdrawals or something when I finish reading the 7th book. I'm excited to read it, yet I dread it too. I may have to wear black for a few days...sniff. Oh well, at least there will be the movies to look forward to.
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  3:12:50 PM  Show Profile
Jenny,
I keep hoping that there will be more books coming after the 7th. Harry's career as an adult wizard! It seems that all the loose threads left by book 6 may not be tied together in only one book. I too don't know what I'll do with only one left. Hope the 7th doesn't take too long though. I've got lots of questions.
Jan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page