Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  1:16:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Is anyone else going to buy this book?

Ciao

Alee

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  1:33:22 PM  Show Profile
I will have to if I want to live through the weekend with my kids!!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  1:37:38 PM  Show Profile
Of course! We have to have them all. I've enjoyed them as much as Cameron has.

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  2:51:05 PM  Show Profile
No I will not be buying the book. My husband and I made the decision when our daughter got old enough that Harry Potter would not be something that we would let her read.

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

North Clark County Farmgirls and
Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  5:05:35 PM  Show Profile
I was never really interested in that type of story, so I have never read any of the books. I have a lot of friends who will be!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  5:12:47 PM  Show Profile
I think my husband is going to go get it for our kids tomorrow...we are big fans!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  5:53:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love the stories. When they first came out I was the biggest Anti-Harry Potter person EVER. I thought it was crazy how many people were reading the books and so I did not want to be a "sheep" so to speak. Then on a school trip I found, to my horror, that I had not brought a book along to read. I finally found a team mate that had brought books, but the only one that was not being read at the time was HP 1. So I caved and started reading...and I could not put it down! I even ended up skipping the next event that I was scheduled to be in because I lost track of time!

Then when I went to New York, I bought HP2 at an airport bookstore and read it on the plane. Our travel agent got us HORRIBLE seat at Phantom of the Opera and since I could not see or hear anything, I read HP2 during Phantom of the Opera on Broadway! LOL.

I think that characters are very well put to gether and I think JK Rowling understands people, especially children because they are so believable. She has a great talent for describing things and making you see what she was seeing as she wrote.

I also am a fan of the books because they get so many kids into reading. So many children have read these books and it has changed their perceptions of the written word. I think it is amazing to see children turn off the TV to pick up a good book.

For me (my opinion only) I don't see why people are so against the books. I have heard that arguments that it is encouraging people to belive in magic ect. But I personally think that if parents are honest with their kids and let them know that the books as _fiction_ most children understand that concept. In my opinion, these books don't encourage beliving in magic anymore than telling Fairy Tales or telling kids that Santa is real.

Anyway I think that each parent does and should have the right to decide what to expose their children to and what to teach them (morally wise) so whatever you beliefs are I respect that. I just sometimes get the feeling that some people take the books too seriously...

Now I must go work on making my cloak since my real one is in Wyoming... :) (my sister made a satin cloak in her "goth" phase about 10 years ago that i usually drag out for HP premiers. but I forgot to pack it so I will have to make do with a cheap cotton replica!)

Ciao

ALee
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2005 :  09:51:27 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
When the books first came out, I heard so many horiible things about these books. There are "real spells" in them and all kinds of terrible things. I was in my 20s already when they started coming out so it didn't matter to me...

But then my husband (a teacher) brought the first two home from school about a year ago so he could read them and connect with the kids better. He likes to use analogies like "remember when Harry was in here, and he had to do this, well, this part of Social Studies is like that." Anyway, being the fast book-reader I am, I picked them up and read them. They're great! I've never had time to read the others but someday I will.

I think people avoid them because it puts witches and warlocks in a favorable light. It makes their world interesting and people fear kids will want to study witchcraft because of them.

I read all sorts of books as a kid that I shouldn't have read at the age I did. I read "Catcher in the Rye" at 9 because my mom was a high school english teacher, I was bored, I had read all the other books she had that looked interesting (Huckleberry Finn, Lord of the Rings, etc.) I don't see that these books are any worse than many others out there.

Edited by - greyghost on Jul 16 2005 09:56:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2005 :  10:16:51 AM  Show Profile
I never had read them at all ...my older kids were beyond them when they came out at first and youngest ones not yet old enough, but my daughter in law was so excited when #5 came out and so I read her copy...then went to the second movie with a freind and her kids..didn't take mine yet since I wasn't sure how I felt about it...well, then I had to rent the first movie and read all the books. We are all hooked now. MY kids are all advanced readers (except youngest) so they caught themselves up. We listened to #4 on vacation..audio tapes...and then I read #5 to them and so they are excited about the next one.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2005 :  9:35:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I finished book 6 already. I promise I won't say anyting about it except that JK Rowling has not lost her touch!

Cheers!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2005 :  10:51:38 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Oh yes! I went and picked up three copies at 7 yesterday morning. My two girls and I read all day yesterday and finished last night about 6. It was great. And during all that we still got laundry caught up and 4 batches of soap made!!!

We love Harry.

Blessings & Bliss!.· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´ -:¦:-~Susan~
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*
Wife, Mother, Natural Woman, Savonnière, Writer, Baker, Gardener.
Wife to Jerry for 27+ years
Mom to Zach, Gesikah, Nathan, Hannah, Rachel and Benjamin
Yetta to Sam

Proprietress of Dahlem's Soapworks
http://www.thesoapmaven.com

"It's no bad thing to celebrate a simple life" ~ Bilbo Baggins

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2005 :  10:14:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I'm glad I am not the only one that had soap and laundry on the brain while reading Harry Potter! That is exactly what I was doing also! LOL

Ciao

Alee
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  04:25:03 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Hey we farmgirls can multi-task with the best!!!! I don't want to spoil it for those who havent finished but did you love it or what??? Harry actually redeemed himself to my 16 year old...a little. She just disliked him so much in the last book and now it seems he's coming around. I think JKRowling has an exceptional knack for character development. I hear she already writing the 7th...so maybe we wont have to wait so long!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Yetta to Sam

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  06:13:37 AM  Show Profile
We are big fans and have followed the story from the very beginning having read it out loud together and now all us swapping this newest edition around to read it and discuss it while we are on vacation.
(I'm cheating w/ the laptop right now!)
I was known as the book lady at my son's elementary school because I always did the Book Fair. The kids know I am always interested in what they're reading and it's a nice way to stay connected. Harry Potter has been at the top of my recommended reading since the very beginning because the messages it conveys are that good triumphs evil, the right choice is often not the easy choice, bullying should never be tolerated, friendship and loyalty are to be valued and that integrity is something of value. Not bad messages , but frequently overlooked by many parents today.
This is meant to be fun and fantasy, not a conversion of any sort!It is fiction after all! Of all the children who have read this book, have any actually been the worse for it? I think not! Verbal and comprehension scores have improved, language arts teachers are actually seeing children interested in creative writing again! And children are READING again! All sorts of books!
I will admit there are some dark scenes in the books that might be tough for small children. When my son was small he was very upset with The Lion King when the Dad is killed and with Bambi when the Mom is killed. Did you ever notice the weird vibe in Disney stories and films ? There is always a dead or missing parent...just strange.As for Harry Potter, we are enjoying this newest installation and it will continue to be on my recommended reading list!

Here is where my curious nature will get me in trouble.... For those of you that are "against" these books, may I ask if you have read them and made that decision or based the decision from something else? I only ever had one parent tell me she would never let her children read these books and when I asked her if she had read them she hemmed and hawed and finally admitted "No she had not , but she had heard..." This was a woman who only let her children play outside on Tuesdays and Thursdays only because of the their overexposure to other children! And her children were the worst behaved of the bunch! Needless to say I did not and do not take her too seriously!
As parents , we are all doing what we think is best for our own children and I am not here to judge, I would just like to hear a more intelligent and articulate reason for not allowing children the pleasure of this fantasy!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  08:13:32 AM  Show Profile
I need to order it for my husband. He's an avid Harry fan.

Robin
Thyme For Ewe Farm
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  08:26:45 AM  Show Profile
I bought it Saturday and finished it last night! Boy it was good! I can't wait til the next one. I think it's the last. The worst thing about reading the HP books is when you finish and you want another. The wait is agonizing.
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  09:08:45 AM  Show Profile
Hi Girls, Harry Potter, I read somewhere over the weekend that people were burning the books. Something to do with witchcraft versus the bible. For us as a family, we read alot of different books, especially after all the hard years we had w/ my daughter and a reading problem that took years to overcome. If she wants to read a book w/ questionable material we discuss it before and after AND it also depends on the material. We are a strong christian family, she reads the books but knows their stories. I think thats what is important, they know its a story. If parents are nervous about it or they just dont like the material then they decide whats best for their kids. BUT to me, burning books is, well among so many other words I could use to describe it, just plain stupid, they will never burn the story, never make it go away. I never did understand that move. Have fun reading. Michele

"she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands". Prov. 31:13
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  12:09:30 PM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
I saw a bumpersticker once that said "First they burn books. Then they burn people." I supposed it was referring to the witch burnings of the 1700's. Lots of people to lots of things for lots of reasons...when really live and let live will usually suffice. We are a part of a very large homeschool group. There may be 3 other families who are not against HP. Now, they let their children read/watch Star Wars, Lord of the Rings...but not HP. I see a HUGE contradiction. But it really isnt any of my concern. It's FICTION. I did not learn one usable spell and I have read all 6 books!!!! I personally have a library book bag that says in big BOLD letters ~ I READ BANNED BOOKS. My children are required to read ban books in our homeschool. REQUIRED. If "they" ban one book, whats to stop "them" from one day banning say...The Bible. It has happened elsewhere. Censorship irks me to my core. I am a HUGE fan of The First Amendment. In fact I have had a long list of grievances for quite some time now - just no time to whip it into a petition. Come to think of it, I'm kinda fond of the whole Bill of Rights.

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Yetta to Sam

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  2:25:01 PM  Show Profile
Whenever a new Harry Potter book is released it seems that a lot of emotions are also released by those that read the books and those that don't. First let me say that I think those that burn the books are acting very foolishly. What purpose does that serve? If they are Christians then it sets an example to those that aren't that Christians are a bunch of book burning nuts. I believe that everyone has a right to read what they want. There are many people that enjoy the Harry Potter books and I agree that they have made many children love to read that didn't before. That is wonderful. But we have made the decision that we do not want our daughter to read them because of our Biblical beliefs. And we also sit down with our daughter to discuss why we have made that decision. She whined about it for a while and now doesn't even pay attention to whether the books have come out or not. I am not condemning anyone because they read the books -- we all have different things that we enjoy doing, or reading. That is what keeps us unique and interesting. It would be a boring world if we all wandered around like a bunch of wooden soldiers saying and doing the same thing. Unfortunately, that is what I think the book burners, no matter what book they are burning, would like to see.

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  3:16:42 PM  Show Profile
In contemplating the whole Harry Potter phenomenon I cannot see that there is anything wrong with the books in that it is fantasy. Everyone has different likes and dislikes. When you think about the Grimms fairy tales they are and were pretty scarey...and had magic and witchcraft. Little Red Riding Hood was about werewolves and lost innocence, Snow White I don't even want to think about the meaning of all those little men and a young girl and the kiss of a handsome prince. When you think along the lines of Fairy Tales and Fables generations of children grew up with and read...Harry Potter seems pretty tame to me.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  5:17:26 PM  Show Profile
Point well taken Jenny!! I remember the first time I heard Hansel and Gretel I was scared to death!!

Go to Top of Page

Erin Raincrow
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Julie Erin
New Mexico
65 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  6:30:17 PM  Show Profile
I haven't made it to the bookstore yet but I can't wait. We've read the first 3 aloud but I haven't let Ds read the 4th or 5th book because he's not ready for that yet but when he is we'll do them the same way.

Read somewhere that the 4th movie is supposed to be out in November. I hope it is as good as the other 3 have been and am sure glad not to have to wait so long for this one.

We'd gotten used to going over Thansgiving weekend to see them (good way to get away from the holiday relatives...lol)and really suffered last year when there wasn't anything to go see.

But once in while the odd thing happens,
Once in a while the dream comes true,
And the whole pattern of life is altered,
Once in a while the moon turns blue.
Auden
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  08:04:45 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bramble

Here is where my curious nature will get me in trouble.... For those of you that are "against" these books, may I ask if you have read them and made that decision or based the decision from something else?

Thank you Bramble! That's what I do too! When people tell me they won't let their kids read the books or are against them, I always ask if they have read the books themselves. I, for one, prefer to check these things out for myself and form my own opinions regardless of what the critics or others might say. We also raised our 4 children--3 are now adults--to do the same. Sometimes it worked too well...lol...especially the opinionated part.

And what about The Chronicles or Narnia? The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  08:26:30 AM  Show Profile
Bramble and Marcia you both have a very valid point! One story that came to my mind is The Wizard of OZ. I loved that movie but boy it sure scared the pants off me when I was a kid. I won't let my 4 year old watch the movies or read the books to her because I feel she is too young to understand it and will be too scared. My 11 year old loves H.P. and he knows it's not real.
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  09:56:28 AM  Show Profile
I'm not taking sides here but someone mentioned "The Chronicles of Narnia."

Many people do not know that C. S. Lewis was an avid atheist in his youth but found later that the more he tried to prove God did not exist, the more evidence he found that He does exist. He became what he called a "mere Christian". "The Chronicles" are an allegory of the Christian Faith.

I have heard from some of my fellow Christians that they are opposed to the Harry Potter books because they mix everyday life with witchcraft instead of the characters being taken into "another dimension or realm" for the fantasy. I have read both series and like them both. I don't have any problems separating fantasy from my beliefs and I believe most children are the same way. I have a nephew who has Aspergers Syndrome (similar to Autism in his sensitivity to light and sound and a need to withdraw from a world which is just too stimulating for him at times). He is very bright and an amazing learner but he has such a rich fantasy life that stories like this do tend to skew his view of reality. So, I think it depends on your kid.

I respect the right of any parent to choose what their children read, watch, and participate in. So many busy, overworked parents don't seem to give any thought at all to what their children are exposed to. As with anything, I think we always need to talk with them about it. We all need those lines of communication open

Edited by - thehouseminder on Jul 26 2005 1:35:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  2:26:18 PM  Show Profile
I got the Harry Potter book Yesterday..halfway through..company just left so I will no doubt read until I finish now!! Sure is good so far

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page