Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Help! I'm addicted to sugar
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Help! I'm addicted to sugar Next Topic  

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  2:47:43 PM  Show Profile
Since I had the baby I can't seem to get enough sugar. I think I am addicted to the stuff. I really need to clean up my diet. Any suggestions for getting off the stuff?
Laura

You only live once,if you do it right once is enough.

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  2:55:52 PM  Show Profile
Cold turkey is one way, although very hard. You can go through major withdrawal symptoms and it's easy to give up. Some suggestions would be to switch over and use stevia to sweeten things, start cutting down - for instance, instead of buying whole chocolate bars, buy things that are little pieces and eat one instead of a whole chocolate bar. Substitute fresh apples and carrots, which are still sweet, but not white sugar.

Also, if you are nusring baby, it's like the reason you are needing the extra carbs. So whole grain breads, lots of fruits and veges, real juice instead of pop, lots of water, etc. It also may be that you are needing more healthy proteins.

The stevia will also help level our blood sugar as well as take the place of white sugar.
Just my thoughts.

Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth!
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  3:02:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi Laura...I can relate! Since I had my baby I crave chocolate and sweets too. Only problem is, my baby is 26 yrs old!!!!! You're smart to try to get a handle on this now! I'm trying the stevia too and really like it. I don't know if I'll ever get totally off sugar, since I'm such a sugarholic, but I'm certainly cutting back. Good luck! Lu

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  3:43:28 PM  Show Profile
I agreee with Angie. Cold turkey is the way to go. Even a tiny little bit of sugar will re awaken those cravings. I would go a whole week with no sugar and no suger-free sweet stuff eaither becausse even though there is no sugar it causes the same reacations in your brain as sugar does. The second week you can reintroduce the sugar-freee stuff only when you absolutly can't stand it anymore.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  4:14:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Me too! Nora is 3 months old and it can be hard to resist the sweets! I just have to try and manage what is in the house! *hugs*

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  6:52:05 PM  Show Profile
You know, I used to put an absurd amount of sugar in my tea, which I drink several times a day, every day. But recently I switched over to honey and I've felt better. Honey isn't completely guilt-free, but it's certainly healthier than refined sugar.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com

New Rt 66 blog: http://historyinthemaking.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  7:51:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Anything sweet will due for me... baked goods, honey, chocolate...mmm...

Alee

Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  8:40:11 PM  Show Profile
Most American's are............The Maker's Diet recommends Cold Turkey except for 1Tbsp of raw honey a day. It's hard but after a few days you won't miss it.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  9:58:40 PM  Show Profile
I haven't had a baby recently and I'm addicted to sugar! The only way to quit is cold turkey. I did this a couple of times and had a headache so bad I could hardly see. Honey on bread will help some. It will only last a couple of days and then you won't crave it anymore. Now if I just would've stayed off sugar!

Visit my Etsy shop at http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

wovenheart
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Dona
Washington State
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  10:36:08 PM  Show Profile
Agave Nectar is a good substitute!

"It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder...It's the stillness that fill me with peace."
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  11:13:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have been having really bad headaches for the past week or so. I think it is because I am not drinking any caffiene or consuming much sugar. I did make carrot cake yesterday... so I am not doing so well on the no sugar thing :)

Alee

Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  7:46:10 PM  Show Profile
I am quite addicted to sugar too. I only drink sugarfree beverages, which helps with the caloric consumption, but no sugar substitute comes even close to satisfying my sweet tooth. When I have a real strong sugar urge, I'll drink a diet soda, Pepsi One in particular. To me, this particular soda tastes very sugary, and it often satisfies my sweet tooth. If it doesn't, I've noticed that eating strongly flavored sweets, like real black licorice, will work.

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net
Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  8:20:00 PM  Show Profile
Ladies, Starting Monday I am going off sugar. I may posting alot. I am also giving up fastfood at the same time. Normally I use to eat very little sugar and a good organic diet. The pregnancy changed all that. Please wish me luck. I was thinking of sending hubby to his sisters this week, In case I'm not a nice person to be around.
Laura

You only live once,if you do it right once is enough.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  9:56:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Good Luck Laura! Remember to drink lots and lots of water to flush that stuff out of your system! I get headaches if I eat too much fast food!

Alee

Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Help! I'm addicted to sugar Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page