Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Achey, restless legs? Next Topic
Page: of 2

hapyhrt
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  03:35:16 AM  Show Profile
Anyone suffer with this wretched condition where you legs ache horrible and the urge to move them is impossible to avoid? I think it's called "Restless Leg Syndrome". Seems to mostly happen at night while trying to sleep, though lately I've had the restlessness and aching at times during the day too.

I read in Dr Gott, (Peter Gott, MD. who writes a nationally syndicated medical column) that others have great relief from placing a bar of soap under the bottom sheet of the bed somewhere near the legs. I've used this remedy for awhile now and haven't seen as good results as hoped.

Anyone have any tips or ideas to help with restless legs, aside from using medication? If so, your sharing is appreciated! Thanks!

"Think HAPPY Thoughts...any others aren't worth your time!" Ü

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  04:25:16 AM  Show Profile
If I remember, I saw something about that in one of my books.
I'll take a look and see if there's a natural remedy to try.
I'm thinking in was a certain mineral you might be lacking... I'll check it out and get back to you.
Here's a site I found I haven't read it yet though, so I don't know what they are saying.
http://www.restlessleg.net/
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  05:11:14 AM  Show Profile
I think you're right Karen. Vitamin E is recommended, as well as possibly B6 and zinc. I think a good multi-vitamin might be a good all round choice, since iron deficincy is also associated.

In one of my home remedy books these things are also recommended: Take a walk before bedtime, take your vitamins, have a glass of wine before bedtime (?they don't explain this, but hey, maybe it's just relaxing for all of your body, not just your mind??), stop smoking (if you do), soak your feet in cool water (50 degrees) before bedtime, massage your legs, don't eat a big meal late, don't drink coffee at all.
Hope this helps!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  05:50:11 AM  Show Profile
My mom (HorseyRider) has this problem, and she really likes Rooibos tea for it. Try a cup right before bed, and see if it helps you. Celestial Seasonings makes a lovely Madagascar Vanilla Red tea, and it's *excellent* with some vanilla sugar in it & a small tea cookie alongside. :) Hope this can help you...mom loves it!
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  06:54:14 AM  Show Profile
I've had RLS since puberty. Researchers think it is related to estrogen, they're just not sure how.

There is some question as to whether the pain causes the movement OR the movement causes the pain. I experienced the pain until around thirty when, as a part of treatment for a nasty case of pneumonia, I was put on a vitamin regimen. So I would say that the advice above mine is very valid.

Now I have no pain at all BUT I still have the movement. My cats love it. I have to get used to them pouncing on my legs at odd hours.

Lucinda

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  07:40:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have RLS also- It can make long care rides UNBEARABLE! I hate how you stretch your legs for a second, and then suddenly how HAVE to keep trying to stretch or move or somthing because your legs get so compressed feeling. It does not actually have _pain_ for me, but sometimes it can get really frustrating because my legs are telling my mind that they have not been moved enough and then in car rides or plane rides that can spark a low-level clausterphobia feeling. :( I have to drive so I have more leg room and can move my legs around more.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  08:35:37 AM  Show Profile
Yep, I have it. My husband thinks I'm a little nutty. Often if I get up and move around a little bit, that helps. Most times it works for me to get up and get a big glass of water and take Tylenol. That's not exactly a natural remedy but it seems to help me and I think my "restlessness" is on the mild side. Oh, but I've learned to make plane reservations with stops/layovers, so I don't have to sit for too long and can get up and move around. And when we take road trips we make lots of stops. I actually enjoy road trips better than flying because it's more interesting and I have control over how long I'm sitting.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  08:40:00 AM  Show Profile
I have it too and so does my dad
Drives us both NUTS!!!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  7:40:17 PM  Show Profile
Yes, as Celtic Coyote mentioned, I have it. I've had it since she was born, but it's grown worse through the years. One of my doctors had me take low doses of Elavil for it; it has the side effect of helping restless legs. Unfortunately, it also made me very sssssllooowww. My chiropractor suggested taking megadoses of mixed magnesium salts, and that's helped some. She says some do better on different types of calcium, such as calcium aspartate, but that one had no effect on me.

The rooibos tea has been such a Godsend! I can have a cup in the evening, and stay up much later than I used to ever be able to without feeling insane. Gosh, I used to stand to watch TV. It comes on me at most any time, most often early evening, and it helps to just have a cup of tea or go to bed. Rooibos tea is very fruity, has no caffeine, and if you're familiar with herbal teas you'll find it similar to hibiscus blossom tea. I loff it!

I sure do understand what you folks are saying about the car rides and aversion to planes. I haven't gone to a movie theater in many years or attended concerts or plays because of it. Even the pressure of my own jeans can bring it on. Ugh.
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  9:11:37 PM  Show Profile
I have this as well and have noticed it worsens if I have been on my feet more than normal and also around the time of my menses. If it's really bad, I have found that a warm bath or heating pad on my legs before bed is helpful. Valerian root has worked better for me than any medication that the doctors tried me on(horrible side effects and no releif). I beleive chamomile would also be helpful as it is an anti-inflammatory. You have to be careful with advil and tylenol because they actually suppress your immune system and the tylenol causes liver damage. I have a very sensetive body and have found that natural works best for me. Our bodies aren't meant to have chemicals put into them.

Blessings,

Missy

"Show me you're garden and I shall tell you what you are."
-Alfred Austin 1905

Edited by - lamarguerite farm on Aug 13 2005 9:12:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  9:16:47 PM  Show Profile
I forgot to mention that I also take a lot of vitamins including magnesium, calcium and lots of b-vitamins which help your nervous system. If for some reason I forget to take the Ca/Mg a couple of days in a row I notice that I feel jumpy and my legs will act up. Hope this is of some help. I know how hard it is to function without sleep.

Missy

"Show me you're garden and I shall tell you what you are."
-Alfred Austin 1905
Go to Top of Page

hapyhrt
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  01:53:49 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all for sharing with me. Goodness, but I totally understand the "drives ya crazy" feeling, as it surely seems that way.

I will try the tea and vitamins suggested, also heard that if one's potassium leval is low it can cause the RLS to be more intense. Not sure if that's true or not?

Many thanks for replying to this thread, sometimes knowing others understand and we're not alone with these feelings sure does help!Ü (((Hugs)))

"Think HAPPY Thoughts...any others aren't worth your time!" Ü
Go to Top of Page

Lazycreek
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Charlee
Mt Ida AR
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  11:31:21 AM  Show Profile
This can be a sign and symptom of decreased circulation in your legs. Leg exercises are very important. As your leg muscles work and require additional blood and oxygen, your body will make more blood vessels over time. Wearing support hose (the real support hose) during the day will really help. A warm bath soak will get the blood flowing to your legs.

Avoid any food with the word "partially hydrogenated" in the ingredient list.

Charlee

Believe in the power of your dreams
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  12:12:29 PM  Show Profile
I have this condition too. I only have it at night and not really pain associated with it... just the wacky sense that I must move my legs. I've never known anyone else that has this. What a relief to know I'm not alone!!!! AND not nuts!!! I usually try to tough it out and walk around the house in the middle of the night to calm it down. I will sure try the vitamins and Rooibos tea thats been suggested. Again, thanks so much for the info. Seems like I'm learning something useful from you wonderful farmgirls everyday. What did I ever do without you?!?! Luzy
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  08:49:29 AM  Show Profile
I've got this too. I just recently realized what it was. I had never heard of RLS before. I saw a commercial on TV about and and I guess there is a medication for it but I won't take medicine unless it's really necessary. It drives me nuts though!!!!
Go to Top of Page

primjillie
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Jill
Antelope CA
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  11:43:43 AM  Show Profile
It's been interesting to read all the comments on this. I have had RLS all my life and nothing helps. I've tried a lot of different things (no medication) and nothing seems to make a difference. It comes and goes and I have learned to live with it. I hate it though!
Go to Top of Page

mdotterer
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Marlene
Pleasant Hill CA
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  4:47:47 PM  Show Profile
Oh Yes! I certainly have it! Drives me crazy! I'll get out of bed and go into the bathroom to stretch my legs by propping a foot on the sink and stretching the leg out. Then I'll sort of run in place (although I'm not really running - just moving quickly back and forth between each foot, without really lifting them from the ground). Then I shake each leg, REALLY HARD, several times. It's quite a little dance! This usually helps, but on bad nights, I'm up as much as 8 times! Sometimes I just walk around the house for a while. The dogs lose sleep, too, since they feel it's their duty to follow me everywhere!

I'll try that tea; it sounds like it has possibilities. I also have all kinds of trouble sleeping, the RLS is just part of it! I've had sleep problems for about 8 years. I think it's mostly peri-menopause and in a couple of years, I'll be able to sleep like a normal person. I actually have been sleeping much better since I started taking evening primrose oil and flaxseed oil. Taking magnesium made the biggest difference, though! My doctor had me taking Trazadone, but I've been able to stop taking that completely! Now, I sleep pretty well, most nights, except for the RLS, or an occasional "bad" night where I'm just awake! But, it's a big improvement over the last 7 or 8 years!
Marlene
Go to Top of Page

Park Avenue
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Michele
Paradise Valley Alberta
Canada
57 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  5:49:08 PM  Show Profile
I have this also, and have tried going for walks before bed, and not going for walks before bed. I have tried baths vs no baths, etc etc..and nothing really seems to stand out as making a difference or not.
all I know is it makes me crazy...my husband is just used to it. I find making a rocking motion with my legs helps, and does just getting up, going to the bathroom, having some water and doing a couple laps around the house. When I go back to bed, i can usually relax and just find that comfy spot and go back to sleep.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

AnneElizabeth
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Anne
Freeland Michigan
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2006 :  2:22:53 PM  Show Profile

I have this at times too, not all the time though. I bought some powdered magnesium because I had read it was good for migraines (it is!) and maybe that's why I haven't noticed rls for some time now? Everyone is low in magnesium anyway, might be worth a try?
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2006 :  05:09:04 AM  Show Profile
Anne, I take five hundred milligrams a day of magnesium. I used a mixed magnesium salts one recommended by my chiropractor for superiour bioavailability. It only helps 'somewhat.' It'd definitely be worse without it, though.

Emily, I've never heard of the cold water thing! I wonder if ice packs would works as well? I have loads of those frozen gel things from vaccines being shipped in through the years; I don't know if I could stand a shower. I'm dry skinned and cold blooded. Thanks for sharing that!
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2006 :  9:13:05 PM  Show Profile
Well, it looks like I am among friends with this one. I have had this problem for many years, well, since I was pregnant with our oldest. I always thought it was from the way the baby was laying, but even after all of our children were born it continued.

Like most of you, when driving we'd have to stop at least every 2 hours so I could get out and walk around and stretch. It's a real pain when you are the one driving by yourself. The trip just takes longer.

For the longest time I just thought it was something I was dealing with, never knew it was a common problem or even had a name and that so many suffered from it. And here on the forum is the first time I have ever heard that it was possibly due to a vitamin or mineral difficiency.

Whenever I feel it coming on I know it's time to lay down and go to bed, since for me it ususally hits at night. I'm a night owl, so that is my signal that I've been up too long. I haven't noticed it while sleeping and I don't have any pain associated with it, just the tremendous need to move and stretch or wiggle and shake my legs - anything to make it stop.

Not that I'm glad that you all have the same problem, but it does make it more bearable to know that I'm not the only one who must deal with this. I'm going to go back and reread all the posts with the information about the mineral and vitamin recommendations to see if that will help as well. Thanks so much for sharing and everyone being a help to each other. God bless you all.

In His hands,
Lynda

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
www.pamperedchef.biz/lorenzfamilycooks
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2006 :  05:52:03 AM  Show Profile
I have this problem also. I don't have any pain but just an impossible urge to move. I'll never forget the time I was on a four hour plane trip, I had the middle seat and had a bag under the seat in front of me. Could not move. It was pure h***. Finally, I convinced hubby to let me move one leg over next to him so I could at least stretch it. It was like the relief you feel after having to go to the bathroom really bad.
Sometimes at night, I'll drop my one leg off the side of the bed and move it back and forth.
I'm going to have to look into some of your suggestions for relief.
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2006 :  6:05:39 PM  Show Profile
Dar, I really identify with what you said. Hubby's company once gave us a trip to Hawaii as thanks for some work well done. They have a gorgeous two bedroom condo on the beach on Maui, and they said we could have it for a week. They also gave us car rental and a big wad of spending money. We had a plane ride there that stopped and changed in L.A., and then went to the islands. The way home was from Honolulu to O'Hare, from six in the evening to six in the morning. I thought I would absolutely DIE!!! Not only were we switched from our original plane, but I got put in a seat away from hubby sandwiched between a couple other people, and the guy with the aisle seat was radically overserved and had all the accompanying disgusting body functions that result. Ugh! I wanted to get out of the plane and WALK home! It was the longest night of my life.

I also dangle my feet or a leg off the edge of the bed. Sometimes I jiggle it, sometimes I don't. I can't stand to have anything on my legs like pajamas or animals in the bed who might compress the covers, nor can I stand anything weighty like quilts. I sleep with a sheet and a down comforter in winter, and use a heated mattress pad if it's very cold.

My rooibos tea helps a lot, and going to bed usually relieves it. But every once in awhile it'll keep on going, and I'll toss and turn and feel like I'm going mad! Sometimes it helps to get up and go sleep on something different, like the couch. But sometimes nothing helps.

And here's my own personal he** lately. I got in a couple of wrecks last summer on a horse that bolted. Imagine standing on top of a car that accelerates to about 20-30mph and then they slam on the brakes. You go splattering! Good thing I had on a helmet; I got three cracked ones for my trouble. Now I have problems with my back, which cause weird pain to go down one leg. I'm seeing a chiro twice a week, but it's hard to get ahead of the inflammation. Sometimes I can't straighten out my left leg because of the injury, but the only thing that feels like it'd make it feel better is stretching!

*sigh* It's impossible sometimes.
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2006 :  04:46:01 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tips, Emily! Do you remember which allergy medicines got to you? I take Claritin now, but I'd gladly switch around to find something more benign.

Funny about the alcohol, too. Sometimes red wine (merlot) helps me, but sometimes the RLS is still there. I usually forget to drink it; I love it but liquor has long been a luxury, and I can't seem to get out of the habit of treating it as such.
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2006 :  10:08:33 AM  Show Profile
My sister has this. It's a nerve problem. She takes a medication that has resolved it. I'll ask her what she takes.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2006 :  8:51:26 PM  Show Profile
My sister takes Requip. It's fairly new on the market for restless legs syndrome. She said that it was originally for Parkinson's disease and now they have it for rls. There are 3 levels for it. She is on the highest level. With this medication she finally has had relief after many many years of dealing with it.

HTH,

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Achey, restless legs? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page