Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 What to do with too many zuchinnis
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What to do with too many zuchinnis Next Topic
Page: of 4

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  06:51:13 AM  Show Profile
Spiced apple rings take four days to make. It is best to use large, but firm, cucumbers. You can use those that are turning yellow as long as they are still firm.

2 gal cucumbers, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4 - 1/2 inch slices
3 c vinegar
8 sticks cinnamon
1 pkg red heart candy
10 c sugar
4 c warm water
2 c pickling lime
1 bottle red food coloring
1 Tbsp alum

Mix lime in 8 1/2 qts water. Pour over cucumbers and let stand 24 hours. Drain, wash in cold water, let stand in cold water 3 hours. Drain and put in large cooking kettle. Mix food coloring, alum and enough water to cover. Simmer 2 hours. Drain. Keep in cold water while you mix the brine. Mix vinegar, cinnamon sticks, candy, sugar and 4 c warm water. Let stand 3 hours to melt candy before you bring it to a boil. Drain water from cucumbers and add them to the brine. Let it stand overnight. Drain and reheat syrup and pour it back over rings. Do this 2 more days. On the 3rd day, pack in jars, pour syrup over and seal. Process in water bath for about 5 minutes.
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  07:13:24 AM  Show Profile
Sorry to sign off so abruptly. There was someone at the door and I submitted as a reflex. I wanted to add that these are great as a snack, or a side with breakfast or dinner. I do have a problem with them breaking into chunks due to the constant draining and moving from pot to pot. Also, I use the "pineapple" for fruit cocktail, gelled fruit salad, cakes, etc. Anything you would use the real store-bought canned type for. I hope you enjoy the "apples".
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  10:17:07 AM  Show Profile
Hello - I just wanted to let you all know I tried the pineapple rings. Wow! They're great. Really crisp and full of flavor. I used the same method as the spiced apple rings and when I got to the "brine/syrup" stage, I substituted the "pineapple" ingredients (and added some extra pineapple extract instead of the cinnamon sticks). Then I let it go through the next two days of draining and reheating the syrup. Today they are being "canned". Hope you all give it a try with your extra cucumbers and enjoy them as much as we will ours.
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  08:23:13 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mommom

How about "mock crabcakes", anyone? In the blender, shred a couple of zucchini's. Drain in collander. Mix: zucchini, two eggs, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Then, add a dash or two of Old Bay garlic and herb seasoning. I don't have exactly a recipe for this so I just wing it. We had so many zukes one year I just kept experimenting and this tastes just like a crab cake.Fry them up in a pan. I make several at a time because my family likes to heat them up and eat them plain! Susan

Susan, I made the mock crabcakes last night. Awesome! Only issue I had was using the blender to shred the zukes. It jammed constantly and yes, I should have thought this through and used my food processor instead, but, I ended up with chunks and julienned pieces that I cut up by hand. By this time, DH came into the kitchen to see what all the fuss and noise was about, and I said, I'm making mock crabcakes, using zucchini. Well, a little history here: We are blessed to live almost within sight of the Chesapeake Bay, and we are honest-to-goodness crab-pickin', seafood lovin' foodies! Another side note, DH has never really cared for zucchini, on a good day. So I waited, and here came the expression, the puzzlement, the "WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?" that finally came out of his mouth. I laughed and said, yeah, the whole title of the recipe just doesn't work in this house, does it? I am going to rename them Zucchini patties, is that better? Oh maybe, we'll see, what else are we having?
Anyway, fast forward through the preparation, which went well, just like crabcakes, I even dipped them into dried stuffing mix after I formed the patties, just like I do with my legendary crabcake recipe, and fried 'em up in a skillet with butter laced with a bit of olive oil. They browned up nicely and stayed firm, and looked remarkably like the crabcakes they were impersonating! I served them with those thin-sliced pork chops that you also fry up in a skillet.

I tasted mine, and said WOW, these are really good. No comment from DH, he had taken one bite. Then another, and then, as I waited with anticipation, he said ... Quote "these are surprisingly tasty" Unquote! Hooray! Anyway, I wanted to share that funny story, and also add my recommendation for the recipe.

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

Amybug
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Amy
Grand Island Nebraska
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2007 :  07:02:41 AM  Show Profile
I am so glad some of you tried the "Pineapple." It was one of my Grandmother's recipes from the depression. It is amazing how creative one can be when necessary. I think of the old saying, "Necessity is the mother of invention."

Thanks, Shirley, for the apple ring recipe. I will try that soon. I have always wondered if I could make "pineapple" rings, using zukes or cucumbers. Thanks for that, too, Shirley.

Amy

"The secret to a successful life is to take the cards you are dealt and play your best hand with them."
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2007 :  06:32:23 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
One of our favorite quick meal accompanyments is simple; roasted zucchini. Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Slice, sweat (optional) & arrange zucchini (stacked, single-layer, doesn't matter, they'll cook down) on a jelly-roll or similar pan. Drizzle w/olive oil & toss to coat. Use seasoning of choice (I love Tony Chachere's) and then put them in the oven. Reduce heat to anywhere from 375 to 400 degrees. You'll need to watch them and sometimes I toss them midway, sometimes not. Cook to desired doneness; the length of time will vary. We like ours a bit crispy.
Note: you can add any sort of veggie with it...we use gooseneck, tomatoes, greenbeans...whatever there's an abundance of in season.
It's a family favorite.

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2007 :  07:23:38 AM  Show Profile
Chandra,

SHowing my ignorance here, but what do you mean by "sweat" after slicing the zucchini?

Jo

Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2007 :  2:40:41 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Hi Jo,

"Sweating" is a method for removing some of the excess moisture. These squash tend to "weep" and this excess moisture is wonderful for some dishes, but others need the moisture reduced before cooking. Sweating the zucchini or any squash including cucumber, is done with or w/o salt. Slice each veggie into a colander, lightly sprinkle with salt (optional), repeating with each squash and then let them sit for up to 30 min. to release excess moisture. I have omited the salt on many occasions and while it is still effective, not as much moisure is released. If I use salt, I either rinse and turn out onto a clean towel & dab to absorb excess moisture, or with one of my fav recipes, I just wipe the excess salt off w/o rinsing.
Does this make sense?

Chandra

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.

Edited by - MasterGardener on Oct 17 2007 2:43:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2007 :  08:47:54 AM  Show Profile
Yes, makes perfect sense and thank you for explaining it so well!

Jo

Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2007 :  08:56:20 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Jo, thanks for the reply...glad it made sense.

Does anyone else find it difficult to remember which "threads" you've posted to? I know the subscribe feature is available...but I'd wind up with over 100 emails daily if I subscribe to all the forums that interest me. What do the other farm girls out there do to keep track? Anyway...such a source of joy reading posts on this site.
Chandra

Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2007 :  09:04:47 AM  Show Profile
Chandra, good question!

Why don't you post it again as a New Topic so more people will respond. I did that a while back, asking how people kept track of their barter exchanges and got a lot of very different and helpful responses.

Jo

Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2007 :  09:26:44 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Excellent suggestion Jo, I'll do that...thanks.

Chandra

Go to Top of Page

happyhousewife
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Mary
North Pole Alaska
201 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  11:54:35 PM  Show Profile
Wow! Now I have to buy zucchini seeds tomorrow... :)
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - May 24 2008 :  10:28:55 AM  Show Profile
I don't know how I missed this post last year. What a wealth of information. I'm bummed. I forgot zucchini seeds this year. It might not be too late to start them. What do you gals think? I would only need 3 or 4 plants anyway, maybe I should just splurge and buy the plants.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - May 24 2008 :  12:20:30 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I planted some zucchini years ago. After a while we were contemplating building a catapult so we could lob zucchinis at the cows next door, and any passing pickup truck with an empty bed.....Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - May 25 2008 :  10:03:11 PM  Show Profile
Not sure if anyone suggested this, I haven't read all the pages. When I have too many zucchinis, I whirl them up in the food processor and add a little of the "goop" into baking recipes for added fiber. It also makes things moister so brownies, quick breads or muffins melt in your mouth.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What to do with too many zuchinnis Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page