Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 What to do with too many zuchinnis
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What to do with too many zuchinnis Next Topic
Page: of 4

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  05:58:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
Hi gals. It seems that no matter what I plant in the garden....the zucchini is always the most prolific. I have a great recipe for zucchini pickles if anyone is interested and you can do the entire process in less than an hour... from this:

to this:

Keep Smiling.....Bev
Check out my shoppe at www.honeybeez.etsy.com
www.beehavenacres.blogspot.com , www.beehavenmaven.blogspot.com

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  06:15:38 AM  Show Profile
Hi,
I would love that recipe! What do they taste like? At all similar to if you did it with cucumber?
Last summer, I only planted three plants as the five plants from the year before were too many. And we still had them everywhere!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  06:55:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
Yes, these pickles taste like "bread and butter" cucumber pickles.... Here is the recipe:

6 heaping cups of sliced zucchini
1 or 2 large onions sliced
2 peppers in strips or chunks
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. celery seed
1 tsp. mustard seed
1 C. white vinegar
2 C. sugar

Place the above ingredients in a large kettle and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes. Add 1/2 tsp. turmeric to juices for added color. This recipe will fill about 4 pint size mason jars.
Fill sterilized jars with hot mixture, press slices down in jar and fill to 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the top with juice. Place lids. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Remove jars from bath and lids will seal as they cool.

If you have never canned pickles before, this is a great recipe to start with. I also suggest that you get a publication entitled the Ball Blue Book of Preserving. It has great instructions for all types of preserving.

Also....you can use this recipe to make chow-chow: basically, you can add any vegetable to the recipe for color, taste, etc. like carrots, limas, cauliflower, kidney beans, etc. You will have to partially cook the vegetable before adding to the zucchini mixture, though.

Keep Smiling.....Bev

Edited by - Bee Haven Maven on Jun 27 2007 06:56:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  08:43:45 AM  Show Profile
(Writing down recipe) Thanks, and what a pretty photo. I hope to grow too many zukes, but so far it hasn't happened. Those look so yummy!

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  08:59:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You can also make Zuchinni cookies! That is what my mom did when my garden overproduced zuchinni. Yum! Even the kids at school loved the cookies. ( I was in about 3rd or 4th grade at the time)

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  09:00:52 AM  Show Profile
I got a cookbook at Barnes and Nobel that is all zucchini recipes. It's a great cookbook, recipes are wonderful. It's at the cabin, so I don't know the name, but it's current - got it last year.
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  1:06:12 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I love zucchini...I doubt I could ever have too much! We eat it in fresh slices, stirfrys, muffins, salads, stews, and veggie burgers. What I cannot use right away I shread and freeze in 2 cup packages, so I can use it to make zucchini bread or muffins in the off season. This year, I want to season and dehydrate some into "chips" for snacking. Oh, and now I am going to make some into pickles too.

Trina

If you would know Love, you must know pain too. -Hannah Hurnard
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  2:11:27 PM  Show Profile
I have a terrific Zucchini Bread Recipe that i love to make.. do you have one?

Corrine I love the idea of shredding ahead of time.. & freezing ahead of time..

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..

Edited by - Kathie on Jun 27 2007 2:12:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  2:27:26 PM  Show Profile
zucchini bread!!! nummy!!!

Crunchy crafty goodness and psychoses...;-)http://nashbabe.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  4:14:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kathie- Please share your recipe!!

Alee

Go to Top of Page

wovenheart
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Dona
Washington State
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  5:08:13 PM  Show Profile
We use zucchini as a replacement for pasta. Marinate diced tomatoes, onions, garlic and basil in olive oil & red wine vinegar(used this instead of adding salt). Let that set at room temp. for an hour or - when ready to eat I cut thin short strips of zucchini and spooned the tomato mixture on top! Delicious!

"It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder...It's the stillness that fill me with peace."
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  6:13:26 PM  Show Profile
I will definitely be writing down that recipe to keep for next summer (winter here of course, so we are on pumpkins, broccoli, cabbage and the freezer!)
One of my new favourite uses for zucchini is a recipe I found in a harvest cookbook. They call them Zapple Muffins, as they end up tasting as though you have used apple (good for my children as one daughter cannot stand zucchini - but she loves these muffins!)
You just dice the zucchini and cook it with sugar, water and whatever spices you would normally put in stewed apples - I use cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and some lemon peel. They don't need much cooking as you want them to keep their shape, about 5 minutes. Then use them in your favourite apple muffin recipe. A great way to disguise zucchini! I make heaps and then freeze the extra. I also do the shredding and freezing thing and add to spaghetti sauce, soup, etc through winter.
Love zucchini! I once read an article about the top ten value for money items in the world - it covered everything and anything. And number one came out as a zucchini seed, as you just get so much from the plant.
Happy cooking all,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  1:21:09 PM  Show Profile
Like Michelle, I keep hoping for too much zucchini and it hasn't happened. Maybe this is my year.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  04:35:30 AM  Show Profile
I was intrigues with the Zapple Muffins that Jayne mentioned -- did a quick search and found the recipe~ here it is:

ZAPPLE MUFFINS
MAKES 18

ZAPPLESAUCE:
4 cups peeled, seeded and diced zucchini or summer squash
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
MUFFIN BATTER:
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1/4 cup buttermilk
To make the zapplesauce: Combine zucchini and lemon juice in a non-reactive saucepan. Bring to a boil at medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Add the brown sugar, the cinnamon and the nutmeg. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes, until slightly thickened. Let cool to room temperature.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 18 regular-size muffin cups with butter.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg in a large bowl.

Beat together the butter and sugar in another large mixing bowl. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in the flour mixture, alternating with the buttermilk, until smooth. Stir in the zapplesauce just until evenly distributed.

Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups. The batter will be stiff; an ice-cream scoop does a great job of distributing it.

Bake the muffins for 25-30 minutes, until they have risen and a knife inserted in the center of one comes out clean.

Turn the muffins out of the pan to cool on a wire rack.

From "The Garden-Fresh Vegetable Cookbook"
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  04:02:44 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for posting the Zapple recipe - at the time I was in a hurry and didn't have time to type it all out!!
The book it comes from The Garden-Fresh Vegetable Book, is a FANTASTIC book. The title pretty much explains it - it is divided into seasons and has recipes for things that will be in the garden in that season. I use it all the time to make vegies more interesting!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  05:20:44 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I am making zucchini pickles tonight!!! I wonder how yellow summer squash would work...might have to cook it a bit longer. Oh...would it mess up the ph to add some dill? I have beautiful dill in the garden, but most modern pickle recipies do not use it.

trina

http://glitteringgoat.blogspot.com/

If you would know Love, you must know pain too. -Hannah Hurnard
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  06:11:40 AM  Show Profile
How about "mock crabcakes", anyone? In the blender, shred a couple of zucchini's. Drain in collander. Mix: zucchini, two eggs, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Then, add a dash or two of Old Bay garlic and herb seasoning. I don't have exactly a recipe for this so I just wing it. We had so many zukes one year I just kept experimenting and this tastes just like a crab cake.Fry them up in a pan. I make several at a time because my family likes to heat them up and eat them plain! Susan
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  10:02:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
Wow, thanks guys....so many great ideas.....good thing, too, because I just picked 20 zucchini and there are many more growing!

Keep Smiling.....Bev
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  3:13:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Bev! You are making me wish I had planted some Zuchinni this year!

Alee

Go to Top of Page

Amybug
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Amy
Grand Island Nebraska
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  5:00:51 PM  Show Profile
During the depression, my grandmother started making mock pineapple using zuchinni. It is terrific! And you can really "fake someone out." What you do is cut up the zuchinni, either in chunks the size of pineapple chunks or chopped up to resemble crushed pineapple. Then you can it using pineapple juice as the liquid (I do a hot pack). I then use the jars of "pineapple" for lots of things including pineapple cake. People are always shocked when I tell them it is actually zuchinni. My kids also like it just plain, cold out of the fridge.

Amy

"The secret to a successful life is to take the cards you are dealt and play your best hand with them."
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  6:23:43 PM  Show Profile
WOW! What a great bunch of ideas!! Can't wait for the crop to come in. Oh dear, what have I said?! I usually grate and freeze some for baking and I always make zucchini relish (from theBall or Kerr book).
Happy harvesting,
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  08:45:36 AM  Show Profile
Here's a recipe I found on the internet - if your family is protesting too much zuchini, you can hide it here:

Double Chocolate Zucchini Cake

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups zucchini, shredded
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9"x13" pan.
In large bowl, with mixer at low speed, beat sugar, butter, vanilla, and eggs until blended. Increase speed to high, beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Reduce speed to low; add flour, sour cream, cocoa, baking soda and salt; beat until well blended constantly scraping bowl. Increase speed to medium; beat 1 minute, occasionally scraping bowl. With spatula, fold in zucchini, chocolate chips and nuts(if desired). Batter will be thick, spread evenly in pan. Bake 40-45 minutes until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on wire rack. There is no need to frost this cake, but if you want you can sprinkle sifted icing sugar on top of the cooled cake.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  10:40:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
Brenda, looks yummy....Thanks.....I picked 10 more zucchini on Wedneday....so far I have made 5 loaves of zucchini bread and 22 quarts of zucchini pickles. More zucchini coming, too! Yikes!!!!

Keep Smiling.....Bev
Go to Top of Page

mdotterer
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Marlene
Pleasant Hill CA
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  6:43:52 PM  Show Profile
Mmmm. Zucchini chips! Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em!

Marlene
Go to Top of Page

Amybug
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Amy
Grand Island Nebraska
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  10:14:50 AM  Show Profile
I just canned some "Pineapple," using zucchini and here is the exact recipe:

12 cups zucchini, chopped up to resemble crushed
pineapple
1 46 ounce can of sweetened pineapple juice
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice

Put the juices in a large pot with the sugar and bring to a boil. Add the zucchini and boil for 20 minutes. Put in sterlized, hot pint jars and process in a water bath for 10 minutes. Makes about 8-9 pints.

Amy

"The secret to a successful life is to take the cards you are dealt and play your best hand with them."

Edited by - Amybug on Jul 12 2007 10:17:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  2:53:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
Going to try those mock crab cakes.. That "pineapple" sounds intriging, will give it a go..

I made this bread this morning.. its fast,easy and yummo!!

Zucchini Parmesan Loaf

1/3 c olive oil, plus some for oiling the pan
2 c flour, spooned and leveled, plus some for flouring the pan
1/3 c milk
2 lrg eggs
1 c grated parmesan cheese
2 ts baking soda
1 ts course salt
1/4 ts black pepper
1/2 lb grated zucchini (about 1 med sized one)

Preheat oven to 375, oil and flour pan and tap out extra flour.
In a small bowl whisk oil, milk and eggs. In a large bowl,whisk flour,parmesan, baking soda, salt and pepper. Mix in zucchini, then egg mixture until til moistened.
Transfer batter to prepared pan, press in gently.
Bake until a toothpick inserted intothe center comes out clean about 60-70 minutes, tent with foil if it is browning too quickly.
Cool 15 minutes in pan, then turn out onto a rack to coll completely.

pics from my world.. http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/tra-dun/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What to do with too many zuchinnis Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page