Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 It's official the fabric dept. is closing!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic It's official the fabric dept. is closing! Next Topic
Page: of 2

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  12:29:07 PM  Show Profile
Went to walmart today and half the fabric was gone. They have a big remodle set for August. Out goes fabric and crafts and in comes PArty Supplies (we have 4 party stores in town) and a Subway (3 of these in town)! I am sooooooo bummed. Oh well Hubby said I should watch for sales and stock up(how awesome is that!!!!)when I find things I like. They had gotten rid of a lot but I didn't see any good sales. Oh well I check back in a few days. I imagine they will try to move it out pretty quickly.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  12:33:02 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Good to know!! I will check my local Walmart.

Cheers,

Heather
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  12:37:55 PM  Show Profile
The decision was made to close many of them nationally. My stores was not on the original list but was recently added. I asked several months ago and they said they were keeping it but after today they obviously are not!

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  12:41:39 PM  Show Profile
I will have to check mine, They said we were safe until next year, but who knows.

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com www.Botanical-Bath.com www.BotanicalBath.etsy.com http://botanicalbath.blogspot.com/

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  12:47:22 PM  Show Profile
When I went to Walmart yesterday, the area by the bindings, trims, etc. was crowded out with huge fake plants. I could hardly get into the area. There was still fabric, so hopefully they are not closing down ours yet. Generally I buy fabric for quilts from the local quilt shop in town (the quality is better), but I do buy fabric from Walmart too. I hope some of you girls can still get fabric at a reasonable price when the Walmart stops selling it.
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  1:36:52 PM  Show Profile
Creeps!
i am so.. SO sorry!!

I am fortunate enough that where i live currently.. i have several other locations to buy fabric..
But, if they DO stop selling Fabric at one of the Wal-Marts i use..
i WILL not shop at that store for ANY other thing.. & i will make sure know that I've stopped too.. & i think i'll send them pictures periodicly from my many other shopping trips too.. both to the grocery store.. craft center.. garden centers.. & any thing else i feel they may be missing out on.. By my not shopping there for fabric..

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  1:49:58 PM  Show Profile
You are too funny! I usually just went to walmart cause I would get groceries and then look at the crafts. I too will most likely be switching stores now. Unfortunatly we do not have any other craft or hobbies stores in the area. We have one fabric store but it is so expensive.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  1:58:17 PM  Show Profile
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............we have a giant Wal-mart, I do not shop there, it gives me the heebeeegeebees. The people are scary, the clothing is frightening, and I feel like there are sonars sending signals to my brain to buy the worst crap...I will just stick with Jo anns for my crafting needs, and leave the walmart shopper syndrome to my mother.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  2:21:24 PM  Show Profile
I wish I had a joanns!

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  2:39:14 PM  Show Profile
I think they are going to find out their closing of fabric is going to affect much more than they intended. That will leave only a Joanne's in the Olympia area. There are a few quilt shops around that have really nice fabric, but $$$$$$$$$$. Also, you can only buy quilt related fabrics there. I use a lot of fleece - don't know where I"ll go for that. Tacoma has a Hancock right now, but who knows how long before they close that store too.
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  2:48:30 PM  Show Profile
Some people have problems with alcohol or drugs.... I have a problem buying fabric. I am like a junkie and I dont care where my fix comes from be it walmart, Joanns, hobby lobby or the internet. As much as I buy, I am thinking hard about just getting a wholesale account at the US distributer for Alexander Henry, moda etc... it may be cheaper inthe long run. Also I found out that I dont like sewing under the gun... I can soap and make lotions all night every night, but I only like to sew for fun.

By the way I found a wholesale supplier for rick rack and bias tape by the spool. We will se how much I go though before I commit to a full spool of one color.

http://www.jkmribbon.com/main.html

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com www.Botanical-Bath.com www.BotanicalBath.etsy.com http://botanicalbath.blogspot.com/

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  2:49:33 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh - I buy so much Moda fabric for my crib quilts. I would save a TON of money if I could get them wholesale!
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  3:38:08 PM  Show Profile
I have a girlfriend who bought from Moda, you have to buy a certain amount though or was it a dollar amount. She still does it ever once in awhile. Sometimes I get to join here. AHHHHHHH to have money.........

Enjoying the moments.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  3:40:36 PM  Show Profile
Yeah - something I'll never know anything about! LOL
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  3:47:58 PM  Show Profile
money...? what on earth is that? I was thinking this morning...what would it be like to win the lotto? I do not even know how to buy a ticket, but it would be fun!!
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  5:05:22 PM  Show Profile
Jess,

You are so right about Walmart....I do go in the one in this little town south of me and I really don't like to....Walmart is as bad as the Dollar Stores when it comes to spending money...it's like it just sucks it out of your bank account! LOL

I restrict my entrance to them altogether becuase I need that extra cash for Joann's...Woo Hoo!!!

I will check out the fabric dept the next time I make a pass through it to see if they plan to shut it down...It's good for picking up needles and stuff so I don't have to drive 50 miles for it.

Later, Stephanie
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com
A Creative Journey

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  8:50:33 PM  Show Profile
They really are creepy!!
Just walking in the door.. Hello..! i don't want to be accosted by a Sr. Citizen forcing his favorite cart on me.. I want to decide.. ! & THAT is just as i walk in the door.. so you know the rest of the experience is Brain wash 1 0 1!.. I really hate them.. But sometimes.. we go.. & if i'm there.. yep.. Fabric here I come..!
But if they think i am going to continue to come back & ridicule their employees when they can't even offer me Fabric anymore.. well.. they have another thing coming!

Elizabeth.. I like the idea of the ric rac as a bulk purchase..That stuff gets so expensive.. we'll have to check it out.. I bet some of us can go together & split some things if we want to..

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  9:57:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You ladies sure are giving me a good chuckle! LOL I haven't shopped at Wal-Mart for a while. I too get sucked into pending more than I ought to! LOL

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  10:04:25 PM  Show Profile
I have my list, I am in, I am out. Okay, that is how I normally do my shopping. I don't seem to over spend that way. I am not saying it always works either. It is those dratted things you forget to write down and you know that you need. But fabric, oh what a grand addiction to have. And all that goes with it. Heee heeee heeee

Enjoying the moments.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  10:11:49 PM  Show Profile
Our Walmart fabric department is one of the ones that is staying open. However I don't shop there much. Mostly for my interfacing because it's the only place I can find it without paying an arm and a leg.

Visit my Etsy shop at http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  10:57:22 PM  Show Profile
Kathie, the bulk prices are so cheap, even for bulk jumbo rick rack....in tons of colors, I am just so tempted to just go ahead and buy it. But what would I do with 25 yrd each of Lime & Turquoise rick rack.... Oh and they have felt too!

I just need to set a spending limit and just buy some!

E-

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  07:47:10 AM  Show Profile
Kay I hope yours does stay open. Mine told me about 2/3 months ago they would stay open. They were wrong though!

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  07:58:37 AM  Show Profile
Kathie - you crack me up. I can't stand the little cart pushers either.
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  1:02:56 PM  Show Profile
ooh i love it. u girls just dont know. i have to stay clear as in take my car keys and check book away or id be poorer than dirt. i love the little though it is fabric shop i spend hours in there. my dh has to drag me away. the worst is the impulse buying...like..hmm..thats kinda pretty. ill buy that..now who knows what ill use it for or when or why, but it is amust have an din my buggy it goes!!

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine; O What a foretaste of Glory DIVINE!
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  1:31:31 PM  Show Profile
I must be lucky, but the Walmarts here aren't so pushy. The one nearest to me just reduced the fabric area, but still has a pretty good selection. I can drive about 10 miles north and there is one with a really large fabric dept. They even have home dec! One is a brand new store and the other was recently remodeled, so they have Subways and eye clinics and all that, so I'm hoping the fabric stays. The Amish and Mennonites shop there for fabrics a LOT! Makes me feel a little strange, sometimes, being the only woman waiting at the cutting table not wearing a dress and bonnet!

Jana
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  2:31:42 PM  Show Profile
i am so mental.. i prefer Joann's.. but when i read this.. I am getting fired up..& want to go check out the few Wal-Mart's that i..
JUST MIGHT GO TO .. once in a while .. to 'make sure" that they haven't done anything foolish.. because if they have.. you know I'll just have to pitch a fit right there in the store!
& i WON"T EVEN BE THERE TO SHOP, OR BUY ANYTHING!!!
i just HAVE to make sure they are behaving themselves!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic It's official the fabric dept. is closing! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page