Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Hey Doll Face! Next Topic  

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2007 :  2:46:45 PM  Show Profile
I would love to start making stuffed dolls. I have no problem finding body and clothing patterns but am struggling to know what to do about the face. I bought a McCalls pattern for a doll with an iron-on transfer face but it came out so faint that you can hardly see it! What do you doll makers do? I am not an artist so am not comfortable 'drawing' on a face but I am stuck. I do not want to mess her up! Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Angie.

"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2007 :  3:07:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Could you do the transfer and then color in the face to make it darker?

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2007 :  3:37:09 PM  Show Profile
I've never used the transfers... I usually embroider mine. Check your library for a book called Anatomy of A Doll by Susanna Oroyan- excellent dollmaking book that includes faces. Is it a baby-type doll you want to make? There's a really good book called Baby Dolls and Their Clothes that has a simple Waldorf doll face. Look through Amazon for dollmaking books as well- Patti Culea has great ones.

As far as your current doll, I'd probably embroider the face you have faintly transferred. I'm scared of drawing them myself!

Kim in NC

PS- If you need any other links/ideas/books, let me know. Maybe I can help.

:)
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  03:23:24 AM  Show Profile
I tried to add some color to the transfered face with very fine line markers but it wasn't pretty! All the color bled into the fabric and she looked like a little girl that got into her mommie's make-up! I mean, I know that she will need her own personality but she looked like an extra for a chucky movie!
I will check out your suggestions on the books. I looked on-line but got over-whelmed by how much is out there, once my eys started to cross I figured I needed to narrow the search down! Hence my posting here! ANY help is appreciated! Oh, no, not baby dolls, I am hopeing to make more colonial and primitive/prairie dolls.
Angie.

Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  04:27:30 AM  Show Profile
There's a yahoo group I belong to- called Vintage Cloth Dollmaking http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VintageClothdollmaking . It's worth joining if you plan to make more dolls. The women there can offer lots of suggestions and experience.

Good luck!
Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  08:01:31 AM  Show Profile
there are lots of great patterns on the market .. and great books too! decide if you want her to be 'cute, prissy, primitive' .. and look for patterns with faces that you like.

ha! when i was a beginner dollmaker .. a made a face that was 'horrid' .. sooooooooo .. i simply stitched hair all over her face and started over on the t'other side!

i also did one one that looked like she was a little drunk when applying her make-up .. (but she was a 'young' dolly) .. so i simply got some 'vintage makeup (lipstick and rouge) and put them in a little 'drawer' .. and made up a little poem called:

Mama's Make-Up Drawer .. .wish i could remember all the words to it!!

here's another:

My Mama's Make-Up Drawer
is my favorite place to play.
I often go to it ..
when it's a rainy day.

I rouge my cheeks and paint my lips
a lovely shade of pink.
i look jus' like my momma
so pretty .. i do think!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  1:40:16 PM  Show Profile
there's not too much to a prim dolls face. A couple of button eyes - usually a traingular nose, and a straight mouth. So maybe you could start with primitives. Look on line at pictures for ideas.
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  09:43:20 AM  Show Profile
Thank-you for the suggestions!
If I were to embroider her face, would I do it first and use a hoop, or after the doll has been assembled?
Ang.

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Hey Doll Face! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page