True Blue Farmgirl

9329 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9329 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  06:17:41 AM  Show Profile
Morning all,
I was wondering how you ladies shop for fabric?
Do you write down what you need and then look or how do you remember say how much you need for an apron if you just happen to be out and don't have the patterns with you?
Hugs,
Denise

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  07:26:06 AM  Show Profile
I just buy it all! ;) heehee

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  07:36:53 AM  Show Profile
I start in the clearance section, then move to the sale stuff.... then the non sale.
I typically dont buy anything less than 2 yards in cotton, for linen I buy 5 yards and silk I buy between 5- 10 yards.

I buy fabric like they will never make any more. I have to have it all.... and I typically don't have a project in mind, although I do see fabric that will inspire me to make something specific

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com www.Botanical-Bath.com www.BotanicalBath.etsy.com http://botanicalbath.blogspot.com/

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."
Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  07:51:38 AM  Show Profile
I buy lots of little quirky remnants. I use them for bags, small aprons, and eye pillows among others. I love the x% off the alreadyd 50% off remnant sales.

Crunchy crafty goodness and psychoses...;-)http://nashbabe.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  08:23:52 AM  Show Profile
I buy remnants for little projects if the piece appeals. Bigger pieces I always buy at least 3 yards with a general idea of what I would like to make with it. If it is super on sale I might buy 10 yards. I will sometimes buy with a specific pattern, but usually it's the fabric that inspires the project not the pattern.

Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth!
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  08:39:53 AM  Show Profile
I purchase whatever I like at the moment with no project in mind. A girl can never have to much fabric. As far as yardage somedays its decided by funds and others it is anywhere from 1-4 meters. But I did start with my stash of fat quarters for quilting.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  08:58:00 AM  Show Profile
I ususally don't buy less than 3 yards if I'm not sure what I'm doing with it. Some things, I have memorized - for my business I ususally buy a bolt, when it's on sale.
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  11:24:49 AM  Show Profile
I never buy less than 3 yards unless it is a remnent that I can use for applique. I buy good quality muslin by the bolt and interfacing by the bolt.
Hugs, Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  1:48:30 PM  Show Profile
wow..
i always head to the clearance isle too.. depending on what i find.. & what the deal is.. i seem to lean towards just a yard or two though!! unless like you say.. have a set project in mind.. that i KNOW i need more for.. then i stroll around the store & see what ever else catches my eye too! but still , just a yard or two.. My project tend to be fairly small though.. alot of you are doing actual business with yours.. my things are still just for my own hobby!!! I do like to keep lots of Muskin too though.. that really seems like a given, doesn't it.. kind of like a universal fabric!

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  2:01:20 PM  Show Profile
Well, I know I can make a kids shirt with 1 yard, a pr of kids shorts with 1-1 1/4 yrds, a kids dress with 2 yards, and some aprons with btwn 1 and 2 yrds, so there I am in the clearance aisle with a cart full of bolts, and want to buy it all!!
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  11:51:04 PM  Show Profile
here was a reference a quilt friend gave me when I first started out 5 years ago, 1 1/2 yards if you like it, 3 yards if you like it a lot and at 5 years if you you really love that. That rule of thumb has really worked for my quilting. I buy not necesarrily knowing what I am going to use if for. Fat quarters are fun if your are feeling fabric deprived. You can get a small piece and feel good about it.

Enjoying the moments.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  12:35:27 AM  Show Profile
I do love fat quarters and charm packs..but tend to buy 2 yards of fabric I like..especially nice quilt quality fabric on sale...I love Moda fabrics. I can make a nice apron with 2 yards, or a skirt, or a tablecloth for my kitchen table. I have alot of 2 yard pieces on hand that will be used "someday!" haha

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9329 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9329 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  12:27:40 PM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone,
Went to Walmart today and found 4 great remnant pieces. CHEAP! They range from 1/2 yd to 1 1/8 yds. I got them all for less than $3.
I was definitely a happy camper when I came out of there. Funny how a little fabric can make you happy.
Hugs,
Denise

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jun 29 2007 12:28:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  1:16:39 PM  Show Profile
I just can't walk out of a fabric store emptyhanded. I go to the flat fold table first-1/2price. Even then I usually get several yards of the same fabric that is still on the bolt for full price. I think in terms of pillowcases- 2yds. skirts-2yds, depends on how much I love the fabric. Anywhere from 2yds. to 12. I know that if I am going to make drapes I figure how many panels I will need and get 3yds per panel. This works everytime. For 27 years I had a custom window treatment and bedding business and the 3yds per panel works perfect everytime for 96" length drapes with a 27" repeat or less. I have aquired some beautiful fabrics through the years and for some great prices. If I hang on to them long enough they will someday become "vintage". Some are 27yrs. old. Boy am I making myself look old!
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  6:40:31 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I start at the $1 a yard rack and if I like it, I buy it all! A bolt of fabric is just about right to make 3 very long full dresses for the girls and I.

Trina

http://glitteringgoat.blogspot.com/

If you would know Love, you must know pain too. -Hannah Hurnard
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  9:30:49 PM  Show Profile
I am a touchy-feely kinda fabric shopper,,,,,I have to touch fabric, drape it to see how it hangs and even scrunch it in my hand to see how it feels...I kinda feel like the "Please don't squeeze the charmin" commercial, looking over my shoulder to see if anyone is going to chastise me for handling the fabric the way I do!!!!!
I am also a impulsive fabric buyer,,,,if I like it, I gotta have it!!!
>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Jun 29 2007 10:24:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  1:02:43 PM  Show Profile
hee hee I go to my moms and we see what we come up with ;) rotfl

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine; O What a foretaste of Glory DIVINE!
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9329 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9329 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  1:10:40 PM  Show Profile
Jessie,
Oh you're funny you are. A barrel of laughs my dear. Just wait till you get here and see what I bought at the bargain table today. Of course, it may be made into something by then.
hugs~~ mom

Go to Top of Page

Naomi Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

1563 Posts

Naomi
Sunshine State
USA
1563 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  4:01:54 PM  Show Profile
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be-Abraham Lincoln

Edited by - Naomi Michelle on May 29 2009 8:53:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  07:51:59 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Hey...has anybody thought of a fabric swap? Obviously we all have enough in our stash to trade and it could be a lot of fun. I've never hosted a swap before, but I guess I could give it a go if anybody was interested.

Trina

http://glitteringgoat.blogspot.com/

If you would know Love, you must know pain too. -Hannah Hurnard
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  09:10:55 AM  Show Profile
I have been thinking about a "stuff" Round Robin. Clean out the sewing room, craft stuff, extra stuff that you have and that you no long have room for that you know someone here would love to have.... and you just have to put stuff of equal value back in the box and ship it to the next person on the list....

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com www.Botanical-Bath.com www.BotanicalBath.etsy.com http://botanicalbath.blogspot.com/

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  7:44:37 PM  Show Profile
Like Grace I'm a touchy feely shopper. Shopping online for fabric doesn't work. I have to like the feel or I'm not buying it. I lean toward cottons mostly or linen. Not real crazy about synthetics.Wether I have a project in mind or not I go to clearance first, then sale, then regular price. If I just stumble onto something I like then I decided yardage on price. If it's a good price( 1.00-2.oo) then I'll get maybe 5 yds. When in doubt 2-3 yds is my standard length. I can decided what to do with it later and usually that's enough yardage for me. It doesn't matter what I go to Walmart to get, the first place I go is fabrics! You never know when there might be something new!
It's so refreshing to think there are other fabricholics like me. I am not alone! Thanks gulz!

Teddie

Too blessed to be stressed!
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - May 30 2009 :  06:43:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hello, my name is Teresa Sue, and I am a fabricaholic *GRIN* I buy it all!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - May 30 2009 :  06:45:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Oh, I guess I should say, I don't buy it all, I don't waste my time on cheap, as in not good quality fabric, I figure if I'm putting all my time into something I don't want it ruined with inferior fabric.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - May 30 2009 :  09:47:18 AM  Show Profile
If you keep a peek on Walmart these days, alot of their fabric departments are going out. Their fabric is on sale anywhere from 50 -75% off. Even the good sturdy 100% cotton stuff. I found some nice things not too long ago that were super super cheap so I bought a bunch! :D
Another cool place to look is at yardsales. People just don't know how good their "junk" material is until they get rid of it and it goes so fast! :) (Of course you have to watch out for those people that have junk and think they have a treasure trove so they want a fortune for it. Chances are, it will be at goodwill that evening or the side of the road) :P
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - May 30 2009 :  11:32:37 AM  Show Profile
Hello, Teresa Sue....I am a fabriholic too! If I had to pin it down as to how much to buy for a full apron then I'd probably get 3 yards in case I want it reversible and it can also be a longer apron with this yardage.

Queen of Dreamsz ~ keeper of dream kingdom
* * * * * * www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com * * * * * *

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Albert Einstein ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic amounts of material Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page