Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2007 :  9:53:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
How are the Texan farmgirls fairing? Are any of you being impacted by the above normal rainfall and the flooding? I hope everyone is safe, sound, and dry!

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  07:28:00 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
thanks so much for asking,
we are about 24 miles east of the beginning of the flooding. we have had also way more than our average amount of rain, but we have not had the flooding that occurred recently in gainesville and sherman. sherman is a bout 24 miles from us and i guess gainesville is about 50+ miles. they really received the worse of the flooding in our area.
we really needed some rain, as we had been in a drought for about 7 years, but now the ground is saturated and it is too wet. ah, texas weather, very unpredictable.
thanks again for asking, we are really doing fine here at the farm.

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

maserz
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Masey
Irving Texas
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  12:12:15 PM  Show Profile
Yes...thanks for asking. I'm originally from the desert, so all of this rain is crazy! It's not been too bad were I am (North Irving), but some areas have definately been hit hard! At least its not like the bad storms we used to get in New MExico...the wind itsn't near as bad here.

Teaching is 1/4 planning and 3/4 theater!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  4:19:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am glad you ladies are doing okay! I am hoping all of our other farmgirl sisters are fairing as well. I hope this is a turning point for the drought!

Alee

Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  7:23:14 PM  Show Profile
Our pond is full and ten times its size from last year. But we are nowhere near a creek or river, so we are doing okay.

That said, we can't get down to the farm as often since the main highway has been flooding over in spots. And the soil is so saturated that we can't get our fencing up for the goats. Which we desperately need to complete within the next two weeks.

And the road (which was nearly done) has been washed away in a number of new places. *sigh* The longer the guy waits, the more he needs to do. That's the most frustrating part of all this rain!

So, we are extremely frustrated, but we are doing okay...

But lots of other folks are not doing okay at all. There's lots of flooding, esp. in trailer parks and subdivisions situated next to bodies of water... Lakes, rivers and creeks... All those folks are in trouble.

A bunch of people have died, mostly little kids. A lot of the rain is coming at night when folks are asleep. Some of the towns that were hit hardest last year by the tornados and hailstorms are the same ones being hit by the flooding. And they are being hit over and over and over because it is raining EVERY SINGLE DAY. Lots of water every day with nowhere for the water to go.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Edited by - Bluewrenn on Jun 27 2007 7:28:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  8:43:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is so sad! It breaks my heart that little kids are the victims of this disaster.

I hope your farm dries out soon and you are able to get the work done that you need to. Hopefully the rain will move on to other places that need it as well.

Alee

Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  06:49:36 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
we are still doing fine here, but the ground is saturated and it is continuing to rain.the prediction is for rain everday for the next week. where is it all going to go?

love
fran

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  09:38:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh My gosh Fran! Is your house above the flood plain?

Alee

Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  10:04:45 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
i believe we probably are, but we are having so much rain here that i'm not sure the flood plain means alot right now.
i feel like we are on relatively high ground, and our house is on piers, about 3-4" above ground so i guess we will be okay. i know there are certainly more folks in the state that are having it a lot worse than we are. our house is literally in the "red river valley", we are about 6 miles from the river.
we are okay, but i am ready for a nice dry day.

love
fran

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  5:18:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am wishing for a nice sunny day to be coming your way!

Alee

Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  9:52:18 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
well,
it rained again today, not so much just a 30 minute downpour. but we had a distraction, which took our minds off of the rain.
we unexpectedly had a baby goat birth!....and an unexpected litter of kittens.
when i say unexpected what i mean is that our goats are usually born in february.....and our kitty just had a litter and we just placed all of her kitties in homes.
the goat birth really ended up being an all day ordeal as this mama usually has twins and is a superb mom and never has any problems.
anywho, she delivered baby number 1 all is well and then she has labor and more labor and more labor and nothing.
she begins to look pretty worn out, and we know that she needs some help, any who after a trip to the vet,well first we had to carry her to the truck because it is soooo wet that you cant drive the truck up to the barn, then we load her into the truck and the upshot is that the baby number #2 was dead and breach in the birth canal.
we spent the better part of the rest of the day in the barn working and keepin at least one eye on mom and her newborn.
she really had some bad times today and at one point i told dh, i dont think she is gonna make it.....but this evening she was standing up, nursing her little one, and eating and drinking.
keep your fingers crossed,she is a sweetheart and a great mama goat.
we call her...what else, mama.

love
fran

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  10:03:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Frannie! So the momma kitten just hadn't delivered all of her kittens or what? I'm sorry your goat had such a hard time and that you lost one of your kids. I hope she recovers quickly!

Alee

Alee

Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  07:06:42 AM  Show Profile
This is an example of some of the very basic problems we are having here in Texas... It's so saturated that you can't drive vehicles up the gravel and dirt roads or across the pastures. They are too wet. Makes for some very long muddy walks from the main road, or in Frannie's case, from the driveway.

The rain doesn't stop long enough for anything to dry out, and if you hang your clothes out like we do, it makes for some very BIG piles of dirty laundry waiting to be washed. We tried hanging them in the house but it takes three or four days to dry, given all the humidity in the air. And you may have mildewy smelling clothes when they do dry. I guess it's about time to find a laundromat and some quarters.

And the worst part is that the rivers and lakes are finally about to crest and if we thought the flooding was bad before, it's about to get much worse. (Frannie, didn't we wish pretty hard for some rain last year??? We must have done too good a job.)

Edited by - Bluewrenn on Jun 30 2007 07:07:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  08:50:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Erin-

You can buy some crystals in a container at Wal-Mart that absorbs the moisture out of the air. You are only supposed to need one or two- but buy several, and open those up in a closet or small room, and hang your wet laundry in there- It should help them dry pretty quickley. Also a air conditioner will help de humidify as well.

I hope you get some sunny days here soon! I can just imagine how muggy it is going to be when the sun breaks through the storms!

Alee

Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  12:49:04 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
mama and baby goat are doing better. when i said we had an unexpected litter, i meant the mama just had a litter, weaned it and they have been placed for adoption, and then she turns around and had a nother litter yesterday. whatever happened to the gestation period?!
anywho, erin, if you have high ceilings you could hand the clothes in the highest arc of the ceiling. we have some racks that came from england and they hang them up high where the hottest air is and then bring them down. they are probably hooked up with some kind of pulley system.

love
fran

Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  1:47:11 PM  Show Profile
I'll have all the right stuff out on the farm but for now here in our city house (which has low ceilings and is built to "Breathe," it's too humid. I'm still going to try to dry the clothes anyhow (or use this as an excuse to go clothes shopping since I so rarely ever buy clothes!)

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  9:28:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
How is the flooding situation doing?

Fran- I am so glad the goats are doing better!

Alee

Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  9:14:57 PM  Show Profile
Well, I managed to do some laundry and most of it has dried in 24 hours. The jeans will be done tomorrow so we'll see how they dry.

Also, it's supposed to rain for at least another SEVEN DAYS straight. Another entire week of this!!!

It's so bad that all my cats, including the "always-outside" cats, have moved inside to be dry.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  4:09:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh my word! I just saw that you ladies are supposed to get another 2-12 inches today alone! I hope you are doing okay! Do you have enough supplies in case the road or water lines get washed out?

Let me know if you need those closet dryer things. I could ship them to you if you need. They contain a crystal that absorbs something like 200x their weight in water. You can buy them for soil conservation. They absorb a lot water and plants then can access it, but you have to be careful because if things get too dry, they will suck the water back out of the plant too! :0

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tpying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  11:38:05 AM  Show Profile
No, but thank you Alee. We're okay. I'm in the city so if it gets really bad, I'll just drive to the laundromat. We have the AC on and it's helping to keep the air moving and dry things out a bit.

We are lucky. We live on a hill and are safe from the running water so far.

We also tend to stockpile groceries, so we have a full pantry. The hardest thing is the dog and cat food. We go through so much of it. But I have a grocery store within a block of the house so that's not a problem. We also have tons of candles etc. if the power goes out.

I have to admit, the biggest thing is the boredom. We are so tired of the rain! It's not letting us get anything done at the farm because we can't get down there. (The farm is getting way more rain than we are here in the city.) We aren't big shoppers so going to the mall or to the movies is not really something we enjoy. The TV selections are boring so we're spending a lot of time reading or online surfing the internet. But even that's getting old now. It just makes us want to go out and build something on the farm.

Edited by - Bluewrenn on Jul 04 2007 11:41:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  6:15:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Erin- I know what you mean. I get pretty gloomy when it rains here for a week- I can't imagine what you must be feeling like right about now! Hey- I have an idea! Can you take a weekend trip North to get some sun? That sounds weird...driving North to get sun... LOL!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  11:23:26 PM  Show Profile
Oh Mr. Sun won't you come out for Erin Please. I pray things dry up there for you soon so you can get outdoors and play.
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  11:19:23 AM  Show Profile
You won't believe this... I just looked at the seven day forecast and we are expecting rain for at least the next seven days. And they just said on the news that we'll get 1-3 inches this afternoon with tons more coming tonight. The lake closest to our farm (but still quite a bit aways) is 24 FEET above normal.

No offense but how do the folks in Seattle stand this?

P.S. I have to say thanks though that we didn't get the 128 degree weather they had in the Southwest yesterday!

Edited by - Bluewrenn on Jul 05 2007 11:21:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  12:30:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Erin-

I don't even know if Texas COULD have 128 degree weather right now! With all that water, the swamp cooler effect would probably be happening and you would actually be pretty cool, even if the sun was out! It would probably be really muggy though!

No offense- but why isn't Wyoming getting some of this rain! Texas doesn't need more rain! Send it on up the corridor and have it rain on Wyoming a bit! lol

I can't believe you are getting more rain! I couldn't live in Seattle- That much rain would drive me nuts! I know that when we are in the rainy months for Moscow, I have to put in the brightest bulbs I can into all my lights, light candles and use Bright Orange essential oils.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  4:22:54 PM  Show Profile
You're right. Our weather has ranged from low 70s through 90 degrees, but it doesn't feel hot at all. Nothing like what it should be. Normally we'd have had tons of 100+ degree days by now. Not this year - not one yet. (Knock on wood.)

The area 35 miles south of our farm got over 9 inches last month ALONE and our little town is getting nearly twice the rain that Waco has been getting.

The neighbors in Dallas lost one of their huge trees yesterday and now that's a huge concern... All the trees hanging over the houses... The ground just can't hold the weight of the soaking wet trees.
The good news is that our ponds are doing really well! The water has washed out all kinds of baddies and the ponds are re-energized after last year's drought, and the hay problem won't be an issue unless the rain prevents us from harvesting it...

Our neighbor used our hay pasture to keep his herd alive last year, in return for cutting it for us, and this year he's telling us that he's gotten all he needs for the year. Which means that we can save the rest for us and sell some of it, or trade it (good karma) to one of our elderly neighbors in return for the cutting/baling costs.

Unfortunately I did NOT have my garden planted yet, so I'm missing all the great cucumber and melon weather! (It's actually cool enough for growing crops this year.) Unfortunately, I think that means it'll be too hot later on for fall crops, but we can hope. Right?

Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  10:43:45 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
i am just checking in since yesterday my computer wouldnt let me script.
we are still doing okay here and have actually had 2 days without rain.
yesterday i woke up to hear on the national news that the damn just west of us was threatening to break and that they were evacuating.(lake texoma, it is huge)
well, later they reported that was not true, it was a mistake of reporting, the water was going to go over the spillway to prevent flooding and pressure on the lake and they were doing some evacuation of livestock and people who are in the river bottom.
if we have any farm girls in oklahoma, just north of sherman/denison this could affect them......but right now we are muggy but not as soggy as we have been. pray for sunshine,and thanks for all the concern. erin, i hope your farm will dry out soon, i am keeping my eyes on your part of texas as well.

love
fran

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Weather Report: Previous Topic Texas Flooding? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page