Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **Welcome Wagon
 Honorary farmgirl from Chicago
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Honorary farmgirl from Chicago Next Topic  

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2005 :  07:08:56 AM  Show Profile
Hi, ladies, I've never lived on a farm and likely never will, but I love this site! I found out about Mary Jane Butters a couple of years ago. I was looking for people like myself: people who are interested in traditional cooking, avoiding processed foods, possibly learning how to sew, garden, can, etc.

I was initially attracted to the slow food movement, but quite turned off by the Chicago chapter. Membership was expensive, and there was very little in the way of recipe swapping or doing any cooking that was not gourmet. (In fact, when I asked someone about this, her snooty answer was, "We are not a cooking school.") Slow food in Chicago seemed to be an excuse to go to an expensive restaurant every month to do a "tasting." Not for me, thanks. I wanted to learn about how to bake bread and make soup stock.

I was also intrigued by the simplicity movement but wasn't as interested in the money and politics end of it.

I think I've found exactly what I'm looking for right here. I'm so happy to share what I've learned and to learn from those who are willing to share with me.

brownswissgal
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Julie
Plainfield Wisconsin
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2005 :  07:16:05 AM  Show Profile
Welcome... Living on a small farm, I guess I'm spoiled to drink fresh milk everyday... have fresh eggs and vegetables... you get spoiled living this way. :) My parents live in a chicago suburb and I know exactly what you are talking about.... keep up the good work and you are definately a farm gal at heart! You can enjoy gardening right in your backyard or garden boxes on your deck. Canning is a lot of fun and I make it a Sunday deal here... put on some good music and can away :) Good luck and enjoy this wonderful group of gals!

Julie/North Central Wisconsin

I never met a cow I didn't like
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2005 :  07:30:18 AM  Show Profile
Which suburb do they live in? I live in Albany Park, which is on the border of the north and northwest sides of the city (right near the river)

My husband and I just got married six weeks ago, but when we buy a house (we currently live in an apartment) I'd love to have a garden. When I was growing up on the north side of Chicago, we had a small garden plot in our back yard. I'm looking forward to growing tomatoes.
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2005 :  07:45:14 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Ivmeer to the connection! I'm just 2-1/2 hours north of you in Wisconsin, looking forward to getting to know you!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

brownswissgal
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Julie
Plainfield Wisconsin
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2005 :  07:46:54 AM  Show Profile
They live in Deerfield. Congratulations on your marriage :) Hope you two have lots of good times together :) You are more than welcome to come and visit anytime :) Too bad you don't live closer... we'll have a ton of tomatoes this year... it's fun to make tomatoe preserves... yummy on anything (especially when you grill out) I put apples in it and it makes it kind of sweet so if you're a meat eater, it goes well with chicken/beef. My father in law raises beef cattle so we're spoiled with good beef that isn't feed lots of junk. I have a brownswiss cow who I milk everyday and it's lots of fun to make icecream and butter... would love to get an easy cheese recipe... email me privately if you two want to take a drive and come and visit. It might be fun for a change. I do come down to visit the folks as well.....

take care, Julie

I never met a cow I didn't like
Go to Top of Page

justacitygurl
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Dorothy
Haysville Ks
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2005 :  1:59:00 PM  Show Profile  Send justacitygurl a Yahoo! Message
Welcome! Come in and try us on for size. The floks are fiendly and you should be able to find an answer to what ever questions you have.
Have fun!
Dorothy

just a city gurl wishing she was a farm girl
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  5:23:26 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Ivmeer! I live about an hour-hour & 1/2 straight west of the city.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2005 :  05:56:12 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ivmeer,

Welcome. I'm pretty new too!

Like you, I do not live on a farm but I have a big backyard which I have turned into an edible landscape.

There is plenty of love and sistership to be had here. In an era where we don't often, if ever, have the opportunity to sit around the kitchen having coffee and exchanging ideas with other "girls" like our moms did, I think this is the next best thing.

Lucinda
Go to Top of Page

atwell
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

susan
Laporte IN
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  4:13:49 PM  Show Profile  Send atwell a Yahoo! Message
hey Ivmeer!!!!! and welcome!!
I live in NW Indiana right off the toll road in Laporte!!Im starting a farmgirls chapter here in the area!!Check out the tribunes home and garden section this sunday for an article about me and the MJF
connection.I worked at the Mart in chicago for 6.5 years until this April when I lost my job and couldnt be happier!!I took the southshore in everyday which took about 4 hours of my day everyday!!
now that I am working at home this chatroom has been the absolute best!!! lots of great support, friendly advice and inspiration!!I know first hand trying to connect with anyone in the city on this level can be an exercise in frustration!!(" you mean it grows wild... in your yard???")We all speak your language here!!!!!!
Kim from Hinckley and I keep threatening to finally get together and meet and you are certainly welcome to join us whenever that may be. I have a huge willow tree thats just the spot to do so!!And If you make quilt tops bring them because I have a long arm quilting machine business and can help you get them done!!One word of warning...you can spend a LOT of time on here making a LOT of new friends!!!ENJOY!!!!!!
susan

FatQuarterQuiltFarm
Long Arm Machine
Quilting ~and~
Fabric Flea Market
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Honorary farmgirl from Chicago Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page