Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **Welcome Wagon
 Wannabe farmgirl in Northern NY
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Wannabe farmgirl in Northern NY Next Topic  

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  11:33:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
Hi Everyone,

I live in suburbia in Northern New York State where it really snows. We average close to 200" of snow a season.

My current household consists of 3 dogs. Molly is an elderly English Cocker Spaniel Good Golly Ms Molly Am/Can CDX. Gypsy is a Belgian Sheepdog Folklor Love Potion No. Nine Am/Can CD and Colt who is an Australian Shepherd Agape Back in the Saddle. Obviously I am very involved in training dogs. And should I ever manage to own livestock, I would hope that Colt or Gypsy would be able to help by herding. Of course, the fact that Gypsy seems to be slightly afraid of sheep could be a bit of a problem. But you know what? I love her anyway.

I've lived mostly in northern and central NY in and out of the country but my only true farm exposure was to my Great Uncle Bill's farm. He plowed and did all his work with huge draft horses. I was just a tiny little girl and I remember that one was blind in one eye and I had to be careful when I approached him. I remember him milking the cows by hand and squirting milk to the kittens that always seemed to around. Some adult also told me if I fell in the pigpen that the pigs would eat me so I scared of pigs for a long time. I was also a little afraid of chicken. Not good for a wannabe farm girl.

I do handicrafts, including crocheting and knitting. I love Mary Jane's book. It's gotten me making knitted and crocheted dishclothes for all my relatives and I also love to make lacy doilys. I also sew and would like to try quilting.

I've been carrying around Mary Jane's book as if I'm spreading the work and I'm looking forward to being part of a community who is interested in the same type things that I am. I've also been researching alpacas and Dexter cattle lately. They both sound like really interesting livestock opportunities.

Kathy

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  11:56:10 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Kathy! Glad you are here! You will fit right in! Liked the story of your great Uncle Bill's farm! By the way, I raise Dexters. Any questions you have I will be glad to help! They are wonderful! Jenny from Kansas

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  12:12:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
Hi Jenny, Thanks for the welcome. I just started looking at Dexters today. They look like they would be easy to care for. The problem that I've discovered with Alpaca is that they are very expensive to get started in. Of course with the Dexters, I just want them for the milk or use as draft animals. I don't think I could raise an animal for it's meat. I'm a softy!!!
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Wannabe farmgirl in Northern NY Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page