lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  09:50:20 AM  Show Profile
I took a couple of mean roosters to the auction last Thursday and was there earlier enough for the household/barn stuff. I love old wire baskets and scored about 15 old rusty oblong wire baskets for 1.00. I could hardly contain my excitement! I love to use them in the garden and they are really cute lined with fabric to use inside. I also got a pink chenille twin bedspread for 3.00 in perfect condition(washed up beautifully!), an old heavy duty sewing machine for 5.00 for my mom and a vintage folding knitting bag for 3.00. That's the first time I've been to that auction and not brought home any chickens or a goat! I was so proud of myself. ha ha

Blessings,

Missy

"Show me you're garden and I shall tell you what you are."
-Alfred Austin 1905
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  10:21:23 AM  Show Profile
WOW Missy! Mother load girls, right here!!!! ^^^^ Cool treasures!

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  4:54:45 PM  Show Profile
I have had the best time reading about everyone's treasures! There is something about the thrill of the "hunt" and bringing home the trophy of the day.
Every week (when the weather is accomodating) my mom, my friend Cilla and I head out for "Yard Sale Friday." It isn't so much the things that we find that are the treasures ( although we have found some incredible stuff) but the time we spend together. There is never a Friday that we don't have a great time talking about everything from family to "Can you believe they were selling that so cheap?" to current events and girl stuff. Will I remember years from now what I bought? Probably not. But I will remember who I was with and how our time was spent. Those memories will be the best treasures of all.
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  9:31:40 PM  Show Profile
I have been looking for a Hoosier cabinet for about 20 plus years. I have been to literally thousands of yard sales and they are a rarity in our neck of the woods. I went to a yard sale today and there it was! An oak Hoosier. The lady was asking $850.00. But she took $600.00. I bought it! Exciting, huh? MY Dh is going to do a little 'cleaning it up' and then it will take a corner in my already outgrown house. We can hardly get around my dining room table for all of my 'found treasures.' But a sacrafice has to be made for such things! My Dh even paid for it for me. Wow, what a guy. The timing was not really the best for making a purchase like this, but he knew I had dreamed of finding one for so long, so he was good to me. I thank The Good Lord, too. I will write about this find in my 'found treasures' journal. I cannot wait to get it in place a and fill it up with my old bowl collection. After I get it in place I'll take a picture and post it.

Thanks for letting me share my 'found treasure.'

Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"

Edited by - Photobugs on Sep 09 2005 9:37:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2005 :  6:29:23 PM  Show Profile
Well,I thought of you all this morning at 7:45 am !!
On my way to sell my wares at the Farmer's Market, I drove by a barn/yard sale and thought I saw a wooden ironing board out of the far corner of my eye!! Literally, it was just a flash of brown!
I justhad to turn around to be sure......on market day, no less! Sure enough, there were two of them! One far better than the other, covered in yucky old muslin but otherwise perfect..$10
Threw it in my truck (on top of an already brimming load) and hurried on to the market, with an enormous smile on my face.
Hours later, I was dragging my tired old body home, and remembered that I would be passing the barn sale again...ENERGY RENEWED!!
I stopped, with little expectations for 2:00 in the afternoon.
But,please allow me to list my found treasures for a mere $9 more....... (deep breath now)
* one old metal tray that says Sunshine Seed Company and has seed packs and flowers on it.very colorful
*a farmer's almanac from 1970...thinkin' mail art!
*a stunning old ironstone vase with three receptacles
*a set of 6 hippie farmgirl craft books from the early 70's.I think there were originally 10. Examples: How to make: a sawdust kiln,paper kites,spoon rings!(remember??)leather mittens and muklucks,
awesome magic tricks,linoleum block woodcut printing (love that!)
all sorts of costume making and needlework, cigar box crafts(amazing),how to do an outdoor pitfire clambake for a large crowd...on and on AWESOME!!! This only scratches the surface of what is in these books, wish you could see! (50 cents each=$3)
*a beautiful floral tin with handle and lid
*an old pink rickrack package wrapped in original paper wrapper with a rose on it.. beauty! mail art again
*and finally,an India parcheesi game from 1959 (my year!)perfectly intact with all the pieces, orginal box.
I am blissed beyond belief.

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2005 :  6:40:30 PM  Show Profile
Holy smokes!!!! I think you win the prize for "Most treasures found in one day, for the least money, with only two stops, and a full day's work in between!!!" Very cool!

Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2005 :  6:53:17 PM  Show Profile
Pamela! That's so awesome about your hoosier. I too am drawn to those. I had a few when I owned my shop and they were very hard to part with. I probably sold them for way too cheep! My husband is really good to me about my treasures as well. He knows when I get that look in my eye over something and he actually will encourage me to get it which I think is pretty unusual.

Anyway,enjoy!!!!

Blessings,

Missy

"Show me you're garden and I shall tell you what you are."
-Alfred Austin 1905
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2005 :  7:15:16 PM  Show Profile
Wow..what a haul Sue!! That is so fun when you have a day like that. I am due for one..haha
And missy..hang onto that guy..he IS rare!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2005 :  8:07:39 PM  Show Profile
BlueEggBabe!!! You da WOman!!!!! I felt the rush just reading about your day!!! I've been ironing today on my vintage ironing board, so I just know you'll enjoy yours however you choose to use it!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2005 :  8:34:04 PM  Show Profile
Attention farmgirls!!! Sue and Pamela, More Mother Loads of treasure!^^^^^^ RIGHT UP HERE!!!!! I can junk and and junk vicariously through these fabulous women, can't I????? Oh, I found an antique Arthur Singer Meadowlark bird print framed on Ebay for ten bucks!!! Didn't realize so many states have the western meadowlark for state birds. And it also has the flowers of these states too. Very Cool.

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2005 :  10:37:57 PM  Show Profile
Susan -- you're the champ!! I got goosebumps just reading about your adventure and the treasures. Way to go!!!

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  12:58:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Can I brag a little bit too? 4 weeks or so ago I scored a Hoosier cabinet (wanted one for YEARS) at a Barn sale for $100. Painted that lovely 1960's shade of Orange...almost finished stripping that off, lovely oak underneath yahoo! I know what you mean about can't wait to fill it up, Ms. Photobugs!! me either.Okay I feel better now.XXOOXXx
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  02:00:10 AM  Show Profile
I don't have a treasure report, but I have a question and I don't know if it belongs in this forum. I have several treasures from my family and have read about beeswax on this forum or somwhere on the site. I tried to buy some at Hobby Lobby, went on the net and now I am confused. I would love to use beeswax for my furniture. Where do I purchase it and how do I use it. Do I melt the blocks ? As you see, I don't know anything on this subject, but I want to perserve and enjoy my pieces. I purchased something commerically (not beeswax) I like it but I want something more natural...

If this is the wrong forum, please send me to the correct one.

Thanks for your wisdom.

Linda H.
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  8:36:05 PM  Show Profile
Diane, You really scored! A hoosier for $100. Mine was much more, but it did not have any paint on it to strip. It had been white at some point, but it had been stipped down to the wood years ago, which is what I like. So it took my Dh a couple of hours to use some touching up techniques to make it look even better. I will try tomorrow to get a digital shot of it to post. I looks great in my old fashioned kitchen. I feel like I can breathe now that I have found my treasure...may sound silly. But it has been on my "I'd love to have..." list for so long. I am so thankful and feel so blessed.

Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  05:32:38 AM  Show Profile
Anyone else absolutely addicted to china??? I can't pass up pretty plates, cups, etc. Yesterday, Salvation Army store was calling my name. I found pure white Haviland china from Bavaria: 5 salad plates (40 cents each), 1 large vegetable bowl (1.50), and 5 butterpats (.40 each). Also 3 gorgeous bone china sauce dishes for .70 each, and a lovely little Lefton china butterpat for 40 cents. Love them! I thought I'd really scored, however, when I found 5 vintage restaurantware dinner plates -- red designs on white. But through the layer of grunge on them, I could tell that they were quite worn out. Couldn't justify the 1.50 each. Sigh. Now all I have to do is find room for all this china. I love the pure white for the holiday entertaining.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  06:30:28 AM  Show Profile
I found a nice quilt at a thrift store for $6 yesterday while I was up north!! It is a nice star pattern, and dosn't look vintage or anything, but does have hand quilting and is a star pattern with colors I like alot..off white background with burgandy and dark green mostly in the stars. It needs a couple very small peices stitched where it has been washed and the stitching pulled apart a little..I can easily do that.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  06:51:10 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE my Hoosier cabinet! I inherited mine from my dad. It was his Uncle's and my dad bought it at his estate sale when my great uncle passed away. It sat untouched in my grandmothers upstairs until I took it home in 1995.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  11:59:04 AM  Show Profile
This is my finds for the last week.

A awesome cabinet with 3 woven baskets that are on frames $5
A ice cream maker $6
neat ol picture frame 25 cents
pair of Old Navy overalls $4
Pair of Short Alls $4
Ceramic flower pot$1
Levis for DH 50 cents
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  7:02:54 PM  Show Profile
4 Vintage ice cream parlor chairs for my screened porch and they were just sitting at the curb next to someone's trash can!

Goodwill:
Turquoise and silver signed belt buckle 2.99
Waverly queen size sheets still in the package 3.99
Brown and cream "moonshine" jug 1.99
Tall candlestand 2.99(loose leg, easily fixed!)
New watch in box with marcasite band 5.99
Med. ironstone pitcher with roses 1.49

Not too shabby and that wasn't even the yard sale bonanaza!
GMA Cut the Calories Cookbook .50
Vintage Dobbs hatbox 1.00
old fingerhold oil lamp 1.00
1001 Low Fat Recipes (enormous book!) 1.00
Oak picnic basket 3.00
Box of vintage lace, eyelet and trims 1.00

Some things I'll keep and some I will sell next weekend at our Fall Festival in town (I have a vintage booth this year (Think FarmChick type stuff!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  04:08:20 AM  Show Profile
Ooooo, Bramble! What wonderful finds! Don't you just love it when you hit the motherlode at a garage sale? The vintage icecream chairs -- zowie! And Goodwill finds as well . . . I'm envious!
Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  06:30:12 AM  Show Profile
Oooooh, girls, I just *know* I'm gonna have a big pile of great finds tomorrow!! Well, okay, it's not vintage linens or anything, but it's about the most exciting thing *I* can think of... My much-adored local library is having their annual Friends of the Library book sale tomorrow. Basically, everyone in the county brings in all their old books (Old is such a relative term, too...I swear, half of them have never even been opened!), and the library sells them for DIRT cheap, anywhere from $.25 to $2. My darling husband gave me about $40, and I'm going to stock up like crazy!! The selection is enormous, and they set them into areas according to genre (cookbooks, sewing books, fiction, etc.). I can't hardly wait!!!
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  09:35:44 AM  Show Profile
Hey girls! The yard sales were practically non existent this summer because of the heat so I think everyone is making up for lost time and doing double duty with the fall sales. And we all know that what doesn't get sold at the yard sales usually ends up at the thrift stores so it seems like it's a great time for both right now. Happy hunting!
PS... Our Goodwill seems to be a Target store reposititory! They seem to get alot of returned , broken, past season merchandise from them, so that's how I got lucky with sheets twice recently...Yeah!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  09:51:34 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Bramble, great finds! I have also noticed the Goodwill/Target association in my town. Goodwill told me they buy the "rejects" for pennies on the dollar. I've found quite a few nice things that way.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  11:00:39 AM  Show Profile
Heather, I love those Friends of the library sales too! Next time I am on a mission to find Gladys Taber. Problem is, I have so many books and so few shelves to put them on! Guess I need to be scouting a bookcase at Goodwill or junk sale! Ahhh...I think GW ( not the prez) is calling my name.....

Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2005 :  10:56:31 AM  Show Profile
Had to post my most recent finds: turquoise and silver bracelet 50 cents; two turquoise and silver rings 50 cents each; Rosenthal plate with green hydrangeas 50 cents; blue and white English ironstone plate 25 cents. Woo-hoo! Gonna try to sell them at the consignment shop so I can purchase more fabric (I've become a fabric hoarder, ala Meadowlark).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Treasures Found Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page