Page: of 5

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  7:25:10 PM  Show Profile
Okay, girls, trying not to let myself get "wierded out" over this. About 4pm today I got this very strong urge to go to Goodwill. I tried to ignore it and read, but I couldn't concentrate. So, I decided I would just go and do a quick "walk thru" and then stop for groceries and gas on the way home.

I got there about 4:30pm and they close at 5 on Sundays. I went to my usual places within first, but nothing appealed to me, and then I rounded a corner and there IT was. This is why I had such a strong sense of knowing I must go. IT was a 1950's oval formica table in the cracked ice pattern, with chrome legs that are in the center and curve out (umbrella/mushroom style?). IT is in muted shades of white, gray and melon. Just lovely!!! Then the questions started: could I fit in it my car, if not, what to do? Should I really be splurging on this table when I certainly do NOT need another table, NOR do I have anywhere to put it except outside. But I could not walk away from it either. And the price was sooooo right, it was ridiculous. At $6.50 this was a table I was meant to have, and to cherish, until death do us part! ((Now, if ONLY my intuition was this strong when it comes to MEN!!! )) Better get outside and get those legs on it and try 'er out! Now I'll have to be on the lookout for some appropriate period chairs to go with it! And, I guess if I need to justify, I am having my big family gathering at the end of the month, which I can only do in good weather so we can use the yard.... so the table will definately come in handy! It will also go with the yellow cracked iced rectangular table that I have from my growing up years. Now I've got two SUPER tables. (Maybe I'm cracked too???!! )Hope I didn't wierd y'all out too! These experiences amaze me. I just need to continue to trust and go with them, I suppose.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

Edited by - Clare on Aug 14 2005 8:31:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  7:51:19 PM  Show Profile
Goodwill vibes Clare...I was getting them today too! We must always heed those calls!!!! Good job!

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  10:40:53 PM  Show Profile
Clare:
That doesn't weird me out at all. Happens all the time, sometimes small, occasionally BIG and really cool when it does. I have a "thing" for 11:11. I love it when I see it and always think it is special. The most special time was when when I looked up at the scoreboard when I was at my young nephew's hockey game. It said 11:11 (minutes/seconds left), I thought in my mind "Preston's gonna make a goal" and he did just seconds later. I told him about that and now it's his "lucky" number too.

On the subject of "treasures". My best one is the afghan my grandmother made. I can't imagine how it was possible, but when my grandmother died several years ago, most of her things were divided pretty casually, my family is easy going and nobody would ever think to "fight" over anyone else's things, and no one was greedy. When I got to my mom's soon after she died, my mother had displayed some items of my grandmother's for me to look at and decide if I wanted anything. There IT was . . . the green afghan my grandmother had made. Green is my favorite color and this afghan had been made in shades of my FAVORITE greens. It had lived on the back of the couch at my grandparent's home for as long as I could remember. All I had to do was ask and it was mine. Now it lives on the back of a chair in my home and will for as long as I live.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  05:09:11 AM  Show Profile
Clare - learning to listen and heed the inner callings we have is a skill we all need to hone.
I have one that is as yet unanswered.

Growing up my home address was 1143. Ever since my mom got dementia and then passed away, I see 1143 everywhere. I will wake up (or be falling asleep) in the night and the clock will say 11:43. Many times my receipts will come out to $11.43. I will look at the clock during the day and it will say 11:43. That number pops up everywhere. I thought it was Scripture and looked through my bible to find Chapter 11 verse 43, but as yet they have not spoken to me as being "IT". I will figure it out one of these days.

Good job on your terrific find! The table sounds like it will be perfect for you!!! Will you explain "cracked ice?" Is that what I called mother of pearl in the 50's?

jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  06:46:58 AM  Show Profile
Interesting, girls. I haven't gotten to the number thing yet. I'll be more observant.

JP, cracked ice is a pattern. Here's a link to a company that sells reproduction tables (yikes $759!!), but they show examples of the different shades.
http://www.pastense.com/surfaces.html
My yellow table is the shade of yellow shown below and my original family table is just like the picture shown, but the chairs are slightly smaller. There isn't an example of the table I got yesterday... hmmm I looked too and couldn't see a brand name or anything that would give me a clue of what to search for. So, I'm happy about it, and will just "accept"!!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  07:46:37 AM  Show Profile
I love it!I have a grey rectangular table with the cracked ice pattern..just like my grandma's was when I was growing up. I keep it in the sewing room/laundry room...and it is wonderful..I love that you had the goodwill vibes too..I have had that before. I have a set of books that I needed just one more to complete and once decided that I NEEDED to stop at a used book store that I honestly never much bothered with usually since they were overrun with mostly harlequin romances and that very book I was looking for (sort of an obscure book too!) was there waiting for me. And I KNEW it would be! Wierd huh? What a great deal you got on the table too!! I think I paid $20 for mine a few years ago and was happy with that price!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  08:35:12 AM  Show Profile
Clare - that is what I thought it was. Thanks for the link. The chrome kitchen table we had growing up was yellow and the padding on the chairs was yellow too. My mom always called it mother of pearl. Don't know where she got that!

I remember when our kitchen table was in use that I wished we had grandma's oak table and carved chairs. I did not like the new modern stuff my mom chose! :) Now they call it mid-century. What a hoot.

Your tables are growing in value! What a find you got! P.S. did you get my message about the apron email?
jpbluesky

Edited by - jpbluesky on Aug 15 2005 08:39:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  08:36:20 AM  Show Profile
I'm soooo glad I'm in good company here! I forgot to mention earlier that this table reminds me soooo much of my Great Aunt Anne's kitchen table, also oval but just gray cracked ice. Maybe she wasa talkin' to me yesterday!

Yes, JP, snail mailing you today.

Edited by - Clare on Aug 15 2005 08:44:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  08:55:42 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Clare. Now I will be stalking my mailbox in addition to my computer!

I have caught the bug from you all because I am getting the urge to go visit a shop nearby that has all sorts of vintage iron and wood. Also kitchen stuff. Hope they are open on Mondays!
jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  10:35:50 AM  Show Profile
Clare- How cool for you! See...it was meant to be yours and it was calling your name.We have an ice cream "parlor " near us that has those type tables and the whole place is done very 50's. They even have an old lunch counter with the spinning stools! Clare, you are on your way with two tables now!

I don't know what to call this intuition, fate, divine intervention but it has happened so many times that I have learned to just go with it. Sometimes I will be in the car having done several errands with no intention of going treasure hunting and I will find myself headed to a goodwill etc. Almost everytime this happens I find something that is missing from something I have or something I have been looking for a long time!
I have the number thing in a strange way too! I was born on the 12th day of the 12th month, in school my cubby and later locker number always had a 12 in it, my dorm room was H-212, and my son was born 12 hours to the minute that my water broke. Coincidence? I think not!Guess what number classroom I have this year!!!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  11:00:56 AM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh! I have a tie to my birthdate too!! Born on the 4th day of the 4th month...and both my preemie daughters weighed in at 4lbs. 4 ozs. My oldest daughter's due date was Nov. 4 and my youngest daughter's due date was Jan. 4th!!!! Straaannnnge!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  2:09:52 PM  Show Profile
Ok, hit the jackpot this weekend! 2 smaller pyrex bowls, harvest gold for my kitchen up north--$1.00 & $2.00, 4 blue glass bowls for basement kitchen--.50 each, 2 linen napkins, blue with embroidery $2.00 for both using as table runners., and 2 metal butterflies for a friend $1.00 for the pair.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  2:12:49 PM  Show Profile
Very cool, Kim!!

Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  2:22:43 PM  Show Profile
This weekend I found this Wire pot holder thingy. It's hard to describe but, is awesome!!
It is about 28 inches wide and 8 inches wide. It will hold 3 flower pots. I can't wait to get some pots in it!!
I can't decide if I want it indoors or out!! I got it for $3
Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  4:12:48 PM  Show Profile
i am heading to my local goodwill tomorrow.never knew such treasures could be found there. i thought just old cloths and stuff. i get lucky at flea markets sometimes but i am running out of room.but i get that fever once in a while ya know.haha randi
Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  10:22:48 AM  Show Profile
Ooooh, weird, Meadowlark! My youngest son was 7lbs, 7oz, born on the 17th day of the 7th month.

How very bizarre!
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  6:31:27 PM  Show Profile
They're not really found treasures, but they are special to me. When I moved to my current apartment last year, I was lacking in kitchen utensils. My Mom said that my Auntie Yoko had all of Granma's stuff from when they moved her out of her place. So, off I go to my Aunt's place, and rummaged in a few boxes and took home a lot of kitchen stuff. Every time I cook something, I'm using one of Granma's old things. They aren't antiques, heck, they aren't even all that good quality items, but they were Granma's things, and that makes them so very special. And I think it makes all my food taste that much better.

Cat
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  8:03:22 PM  Show Profile
That's really nice Cat. I have my grandmother's old potato ricer. Mostly it's just a decoration, but I occassionally pull it out and those potatoes are always the best.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  05:44:31 AM  Show Profile
Cat, I know exactly what you mean. I have a cast iron skillet that was originally owned by my great-grandmother, and I think of her whenever I use it (which is almost daily). I like to think that the women who came before us watch over us sometimes, and make sure we're using their things properly. I'd swear I can hear my grandmother's voice telling me to stir the onions or something when I'm cooking...
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  4:58:29 PM  Show Profile
Just thought I'd add an update about my cool "found" 1950's formica table that didn't have a spot except outside for a couple months. I have decided that its perfect spot is in my living room, which offically changes my living room into a "studio". I have one of those living rooms where furniture can only be placed on the outside perimeter of the room because of layout... so I decided that this table will fit quite nicely to one side of the middle and it's starting out as my 'mailart center'. We shall see how it all evolves. There, I just KNEW I'd find a good purpose for this table!

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  5:14:23 PM  Show Profile
Perfect Clare!
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  6:13:28 PM  Show Profile
Love the sound of it Clare! You go girl! Now you need to find a fun and funky light to go on that table to work by! Or one of those big Japanese paper balloon type lights to hang over it!

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  06:32:59 AM  Show Profile
Clare - your home sounds so cozy. That table is lucky to be there! :)

jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  07:11:13 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, girls! You know you are all welcome to come sit around the table anytime!

Meadowlark, I do have a funky lamp to use! It is one I found at a yard sale many years ago, good base but the shade was ripped in several places. So, being the creative fixer-upper gal that I am, I glued many wonderful and funky looking buttons all over the trouble spots! I made designs and flowers, etc.... I love it, my grandaughter loves it! Others think I'm a bit looney tunes, but who cares!

Edited by - Clare on Sep 09 2005 07:11:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  07:19:53 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I picked up some vintage pins yesterday. I have one of those new jackets with the silly big flower on it. Well the jacket is green and I just felt like the Joker - the flower always holds water or tear gas or something! Anyway, I found some great pins yesterday to go in its place. One is missing its rhinestones, and the holes are perfect for some neat beads!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Treasures Found Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page