Page: of 5

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2005 :  5:53:04 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I'm going shopping Monday or Tuesday! Maybe both, lol!

I got my check in from work, the bills are paid and that cute little turn of the century cabinet at the antique store in town is gonna be MINE!!!

It's white, 12" deep, about 5 1/2 feet tall. Glass doors on top, with 3 shelves, and two little drawers, one with dividers in it already for silverware and the like, and 2 smaller doors on the bottom with another shelf. Perfect for my nearly finished kitchen! I am so excited. It's EXACTLY what we wanted for nearly 5 years at our old house to fit in the space we had in the bathroom. But in the little MIL suite we are nearly finished with, the kitchen is small and I need more space for bowls and a wine cabinet (we buy in bulk... lol) and this being the Bible Belt... best if I can hide those wine bottles.

Also gonna look for linens, some vintage pins, old picture frames, an old little mirror for the bathroom, and I'm on the hunt for a pie safe to hide the ugly TV in. That'll be at Trade Day on Tuesday. My back still isn't perfect, but if I break up my hunts, I'll get what I am looking for!

So close to moving in! One little electrical inspection, one little floor to finish, install the toilet and we are movin' in and living like REAL people!!!

(for those who don't know, we've been "camping" for 6 months in the house, while we remodeled the in-law suite in the back. The "house" is drafty, prone to growing mushrooms and mold and mildew, the toilet may fall through the floor at any time and backs up at will, and there is NO kitchen, no bedroom door, not even a decent closet. Everything we own has been in a storage unit all this time!)
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  06:27:03 AM  Show Profile
Here's a pic of the pink nylon 1940's robe that I found at Goodwill, ($3.99) that I had mentioned several pages ago. Also a new find, a heavy duty vintage clothes drying rack that has huge 1 inch dowels! I could hang rugs on it, it is so sturdy. It felt so forelorn to be sitting in the odds and ends furniture at Goodwill. I just said, "you're coming home with me!"... The rack had handwritten (in permanent marker ) prices on it anywhere from $99.00 to $2.00 and including "not for sale". I think an antique ship must've used it for display. I paid an adoption fee of $3.50! The dowell configuration is different than the less sturdy modern ones too, and I like that because things don't overlap as much. Anywho, Love it!
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/farmersdaughter1230/album?.dir=/5255&.src=ph&.tok=phJkcuDBzYTRUabM

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  06:43:41 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Clare! I love your drying rack. I used to see those at farm auctions back in Michigan. And the robe is fab! You must sport pincurls in your hair also when you wear it. I had a great day at Salvation Army on Monday -- Singer sewing machine, with cabinet, for $40 and fabuloso Jackson China restaurantware dishes -- handleless teacups (or are they custard cups or egg cups?), butter pats, serving bowl, cereal bowls, saucers; plus 2 Homer Laughlin platters; plus 4 Shenango dinner plates -- all in red and white. 39 pcs in all for $32!! So I'm taking more of my current stuff to the consignment shop today to pay for my new finds. (Already sold my hydrangea plate and turquoise bracelet from previous garagesale finds.) Don't you love all this stuff that just floats around until it finds the perfect home? Clare, will you be using that drying rack indoors this winter? I know I'll be festooning around our woodstove, what with our natural gas prices predicted to increase by 71 percent. KL
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  07:14:15 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
LOVE the drying rack!

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  3:00:58 PM  Show Profile
Love those thrift shops, auctions, and yard sales. DH and I splurged and bought a 5th wheel rv. A really big purchase for us. I tried, I really tried to outfit it with new stuff, but I am just too cheap to pay new prices for things I could buy for lots less. I kept the colors, blue and white, black and yellow in mind, and went wild. I didn't spend over $10 for any item, and most cost less than $3. Some items are vintage and look it, which is cool, but most are so new, you would think they came from Bed Bath and Beyond. One of the best buys was a dutch blue wool blanket with a tulip scene woven in it. I think it is pre-ww2, but was in mint condition. I'm sure it had been in a cedar chest all these years. I paid $6 for it. Love junk shopping.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  3:33:03 PM  Show Profile
A few years ago I found a huge set of silverplate flatware for $200. There are so many pieces that I figure I paid about $.15 per piece. Even little seafood forks!! There was a business card in the box from a Navy captain - he must have done a lot of entertaining.

Two years ago in Lynchburg Tennessee I found a set of string pieced quilt blocks sewn on old newspapers for backing. This find was $20. Some of the stories on the newspapers tell of the trial of Lizzie Borden and the collapse of the Ford Theater in Washington D.C. I had four of the blocks framed in a spiderweb design.

Mary

The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it. Wm. James

Edited by - quilt8305 on Oct 05 2005 3:36:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  3:47:11 PM  Show Profile
Don't you just love silveplate. There is so much of it out there, and most of the time it is black and awfull looking. You pay couple of bucks, and bring it home and polish it up, and you have a tresure. My friend and I have an afternoon tea each spring for our ladies club, the guests ooh and ahh over our silver, and almost all of mine came from thrift stores. I have trays of all shapes and sizes, punch ladels, candle sticks, ice buckets, sugar tongs, salad servers, punch cups, julep cups, vases, too much to remember. The only thing not from thrift stores is a wonderful tea set and cold water server, given me by a very dear friend. Which is the best treasure of all.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  3:48:21 PM  Show Profile
Bramble,

The World's Longest Yard Sale takes place in Indiana/Tennessee/Alabama. Here's a link: www.127sale.com. It's in August.

Mary

The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it. Wm. James
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  04:29:49 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Mary! Now if I could only figure out how to get there!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  7:26:14 PM  Show Profile
Here's another treasure - I have a small collection of Navaho rugs and baskets and one lovely pottery piece that I inherited from a great aunt who spent time among the Navahos many years ago. A few years ago my husband went to South Africa to hunt and brought back three Zulu baskets that are a perfect addition to this collection. Even tho' I didn't find them - he did. One is a large marriage basket (he was gone over our anniversary) and two smaller ones are bottles that are so closely woven they actually hold water.
Mary

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  1:36:23 PM  Show Profile
Mary - the collapse of the Ford Theatre! Wow! I would love to know that story! I grew up in Springfield Illinos, Land of Lincoln, and have studied about him for a long time. I do not know about how the theatre collasped! Very interesting find for you!
jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  6:05:30 PM  Show Profile
jpbluesky, The article is very hard to read. Apparently, the building was purchased by the government after Lincoln was assassinated and used as an Army museum and as a place where around five hundred clerks worked in the army's Pension Record Division. The article says that the building had been declared unsafe several years prior to the collapse - walls were bulging, etc. I think it just plain fell down! Twenty people were killed in the collapse. That's about all I could figure out. It was a New York paper, but did not have a date on this piece. One of the other pieces had a date of 1895.

Edited by - quilt8305 on Oct 11 2005 6:09:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  7:30:28 PM  Show Profile
Mary - thanks for the additional info - that is really interesting. I have never read about the theatre after the assassination. Something new to research!

Also, your Indian collection sounds great. It will definitely increase in value with time. It is probably worth a lot right now.

And....I have recently decided to use my silverplate everyday. It only gets better looking with time and use, and since that is not happening to me, I might as well enjoy it while I can! :)
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  9:59:43 PM  Show Profile
jpbluesky,
Go for it. The only bad part is what eggs do to silver!!!!!
And the polishing.
Mary

Edited by - quilt8305 on Oct 11 2005 10:00:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  3:07:18 PM  Show Profile
Driving last night to pick dh up, saw a bunch of boxes, waiting for the morning garbage pickup. The house recently went up for sale, so I slowed for a look -- could be good stuff? Atop one of the boxes was a tree stand, and I saw 'Christmas' scrawled across one of the boxes. Hmm.

Later that night, had to go to get eggs at the grocery (wish I could get them from some hens in the back yard, but -- suburbia!). What a perfect excuse to park near the boxes and take a peek. Decided to grab four boxes and open them at home.

First box I opened had lots of ornaments in it -- mostly cheap, newer. But hidden amongst these things were two vintage paper glitter houses -- the kind you can put a Christmas light in the back of. I love those! One even has its price stamped on the bottom: 10 cents. Also found half-a-dozen vintage glass ornaments.

Next box: lots of used Christmas candles, etc., but one shoebox opened to reveal vintage bottlebrush trees. This is when I started hyperventilating! Also a couple of chalk figures -- snowman, and two kids on a sled -- stamped Made in England on the bottom.

One box -- lots of Christmas lights; some not working, some fine.

Final box -- kids clothes, mostly stained; used shoes. But one clear plastic box contained a precious baby bonnet, made by stitching a lace-edged hanky just so. It was accompanied by a little poem 'The Magic Hankie' about how this gift to baby can become the bride's handkerchief -- 'something old'-- on her wedding day. So sweet!

Of course I had to stop again this morning, when dropping dh off at 5:30 a.m. This time one box contained nativity figures, hand-made by someone in ceramics class and quite nicely glazed in a soft blue on white clay. I don't have room for this big nativity grouping, so decided to donate it.

The other box was kitchen stuff -- cake pans, muffin tins, two rolling pins, etc. From this, I rescued for myself two vintage cookie cutters -- one with a green handle, one with red.

All of the stuff that I didn't want I rewrapped in new newsprint and dropped off today at a charity resale store. Glad the stuff didn't get into the landfill . . . and what an adventure, finding vintage Christmas stuff on the side of the road!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  4:07:18 PM  Show Profile
Wow..what a haul!!! You for sure have the prize for best treasure found this week!!!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  5:08:17 PM  Show Profile
High Five Katie! You get the junking award for November!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Treasures Found Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page