Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  9:43:14 PM  Show Profile
Whoa! you had some great finds!! Lucky you!! I need to find a drying rack before winter! I just love them. Used to have several and finally wore them out..need to get a quality one this time!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  9:59:58 PM  Show Profile
Some of my favorite treasures are the natural things too. I have jars and jars of stones and shells and one of some tiny, tiny acorns that my children have gathered on vacations or when we go to the beach. They always forget about them and I just add them to the jar. I also gather these little bits myself. I pick up sticks, rocks, shells and especially bones. My most recent addition and one of my most prized possessions is a complete coatimundi skull and quite a lot of the rest of it's skeleton as well that I found in my mother's "backyard" in Arizona. I think that I'm going to get a shadow box to display it in.

My mom always laughs at us because we are so thrilled with the "cheap" souvenirs of our visits, but to me they often bring back a memory of that moment better than a photograph. She has a javelina skull and asked, jokingly, if I wanted her to will it to me. I told her "absolutely."
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  04:34:43 AM  Show Profile
Speaking about vintage photos, I had found one at my mothers, one of my grandma feeding her chickens and ducks. I had it scanned and printed in cepia tone instead of black and white, I have that picture framed and in my hallway. It's from about the '30's we figure.
It just seems so lifelike because it isn't posed.
I never got to meet my grandma so this picture I think tells me loads about her.
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

LifeSmiles
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Kathy
DeKalb IL
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  08:12:10 AM  Show Profile
Just last Thursday I was visiting my Grandma, who is also in that zone of asking everyone what they want when she moves on. She kept asking and I kept feeling odd, then I noticed a small quilt draped over her stair railing. It's been there for as long as I can remember, and it's made of old mens' ties--from the 20s, 30s and 40s by the look of them. I told her I would like to have that and Gram told me that her mother made it, my (great)Grandma Rose of whom I have only the smallest memories. Gram gave it to me right then and was so pleased to be able to give me something that I really truly wanted and would love. It's not a beautiful quilt (the tie patterns are amazingly gaudy), and it's not very warm, but my great-grandmother made it. Therefore it is perfect.

Two summers ago I was in Ithaca, New York, and found two old photographs of the same man, taken in the late 1800s, it looked like. One photo was taken in Ithaca, the other in DeKalb IL, where I live! The coincidence was exciting. I got the photos for a dollar apiece, I think, and they're tucked away in my "treasure chest," where I keep all my odd and memorable finds. It's so neat what we can find if we look closely enough!

Edited by - LifeSmiles on Aug 06 2005 08:13:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  10:23:30 AM  Show Profile
Maybe I should actually post this in the garden topic, but these are treasures to me! I'm really pleased with myself for thinking cross-seasonally today, because I've been looking for some old wooden framed windows to use for cold-frames in the spring time. Despite the sweltering temps today, that's what I found this morning. I got four sets of windows for $21 and she's going to call me later to let me know what other windows she has at her home and I may pick up a couple more. This will make my spring gardening more successful and with earlier results!

That, and along with two new to me herb books, one a Rodale guide, and some children's books, I'm feeling blessed. Reminds me that once we set our intention on something that we will eventually draw it to us... might take some time, but there these were for me today!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  3:29:07 PM  Show Profile
I love hearing what all of us thrifty shoppers are out there discovering! If we are patient eventually everything we are looking for will present itself and we also have the unexpected pleasure of surprises; like the necktie quilt!

On the way to a market I don't usually go to, I made a pit stop at a thrift store and hit the jackpot of books today. Here's my list:
Wallace Nuttings's Furniture Treasury , Robert Inman's Home Fires Burning, Annie Proulx Close Range (Wyoming stories), Pamela Duncan's Moon Women- sounds great!, Jan Morris- A Writers House in Wales (National Geo book) , Making Bits and Pieces Mosaics, and the one I got most excited about - The Hook Book! Now , now it's not THAT! It has very detailed instructions and diagrams for making hooked rugs and it has a very nice color section with pictures and patterns of antique and repro rugs. Now I have no excuses for not making one this winter! All these books came to $4.79!- TOTAL! YAHOO! I will post them to share when I finish the fiction. I think Wallace and the rug book are keepers but the rest will be up for grabs!
OH! Almost forgot..also got a black silk dress with chinese embroidery down the side that I'm hoping to wear to a wedding next week. The bride requested that we dress in black, white or hot pink! Have you ever heard of such a thing?
At the one yard sale I stopped at, I got lucky too. An Orient Express repro brass table lamp for $3.00. These were in one of the catalogs a few years ago and were more money than I was willing to spend , so $3.00 looked pretty good! Plus as I was leaving I spied a large roll of fabric maked $1.00; sold! A nice beach glass green patterned fabric that will make nice pillows, and maybe some swags as well!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  3:38:54 PM  Show Profile
Bramble and Clare I am drooling! I can live vicariously through your junking excursions can't I? I get excited finding teeth and the jawbone of some prairie creature, strange rocks, and acorn hats...I want to be civilized and go on real treasure hunts with my farmgirl sisters! Somebody get me outta Kansas pleeeeeez!!!!!!

The flowers flee from Autumn, but not you-
You are the fearless rose that grows amidst the freezing wind. Rumi
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  3:57:20 PM  Show Profile
Meadowlark, Okay, I think I'm going to start organizing/planning an itinerary for us farmgirls for next July 4th holiday in Idaho. Wednesday and Thursday will be quilting days, Friday with be yard sale and thrift shop day!! Saturday morning (before farm fair)will be yard sale time! The only problem I see in this scenerio is that we may all want the same things!! We'll have to come to terms with who's hunting for what before hand and keep in mind who can ship what home, and we should all be happy campers!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  4:07:31 PM  Show Profile
Sounds great Clare! We are all civilized and should not be a problem...BUT! Be warned I get dibs on all the bones and rocks!!!LOL

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  4:25:58 PM  Show Profile
Clare -- that sounds wonderful!! However, I will warn you that I will fight to the death for vintage linens!!! LOL!

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face."
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2005 :  4:09:24 PM  Show Profile
Kay--I'm easy and happy to share so it should be no problem! Meadowlark- If you come visit your family near Philadelphia I can take you junking! We would be dangerous I think! Clare- Your itinerary sounds right up my alley, count me in! Has anyone ever heard about "The World's Longest Yard Sale"? I keep seeing blurbs about it on HGTV but never see the program. Where does it start? Where does it end? OH MY OH MY... I am faint with the thought of it!

P.s. We had a very LARGE dead opossum in the backyard yesterday, can I interest anyone in that?!!!
with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on Aug 07 2005 4:15:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2005 :  6:38:43 PM  Show Profile
no thanks on the possum..but I will fight for baskets and old kitchen junk...(smile.)

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2005 :  7:13:46 PM  Show Profile
Sounds good Bramble...I don't need to visit the family, lets just go junkin'. Be warned girls, anything with roses or grapes on it gets my attention and keeps it. I also like homespun and monogramed stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2005 :  8:59:39 PM  Show Profile
How about a little Zen here, girls? There will be something for everyone, I'm sure!!!

Go to Top of Page

hapyhrt
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  04:50:57 AM  Show Profile
While looking through a used book store I found an old freezing & canning cookbook from the food editors of "Farm Journal" containing prized recipes from the "Farms of America". It's funny because those around me know that I don't enjoy cooking but this book copyrighted 1964 has so many interesting tips and stories I couldn't pass it up! When I got it home and was browsing through it I found a guest log from a Tupperware party from 1978. Granted it's not all that old but some of the names on the list are, such as: Freda, Rory, Pearl, and Bobette! Sure brings back fond memories of when Mom used to host Tupperware parties in our home for the neighborhood women to gather. We kids thought it was such a fun time!

Also, on the back of the guest list is a grocery list-Popcorn-5lbs-$1.00
Syrup- 1 qt. $2.16
Cheddar cheese- 2 lbs $3.22
Mozz. 2 lbs-$2.80
Swiss- 1lb-$1.61
Port Wine- 1lb-$1.70
Peanuts- 2lbs-$1.22
Bran- 2 lbs. $0.30 cents
Wonder if it was for the items the hostess served at the party! LOL Ü

"Think HAPPY Thoughts...any others aren't worth your time!" Ü
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  05:26:41 AM  Show Profile
Sher - Loved reading about your treasures found, and the grocery list is hysterical. That is a lot of roughage for one party! Those women must have had digestive systems of steel! :)

The foraging and shopping trip planned for 2006 sounds fun. From different stories on this site, it seems treasure abounds in the northwest of this country. Whenever I go seeking that elusive treasure meant just for me, I never have any idea of what it will be. Once it was a nickel-plated ice cream scoop with a wooden handle. Once it was an old quilt, once a coverlet, and once an old autograph book. So, count me in, for the love of the hunt!

jpbluesky
Heartland girl

Edited by - jpbluesky on Aug 08 2005 05:33:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

QuiltingQueen
True Blue Farmgirl

104 Posts

Jane
La Porte Indiana
USA
104 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  05:57:07 AM  Show Profile
Sher,
I can remember my mom's Tupperware parties from when I was little. I'm guessing your list might have come from a party game. They would play games for prizes, like people play at bridal and baby showers. I can remember them bringing out a bunch of unusual grocery items and the women would write the items and guess the prices. Whoever had guessed closest to the correct price on the greatest number of items won small Tupperware items...like the orange peeler...I actually won one at a Tupperware party and still use it! I love the names of the guests. I knew a little girl named Bobette who lived across the road from my grandparents...haven't heard that name in years! Great memories!

Jane

"Let us then plant with diligence and care
The garden of the soil,
But let us, with far deeper earnestness,
Tend the garden of our hearts."
~ from The Cottage Gardener, 1849
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  06:26:01 AM  Show Profile
Funny memories, girls! Yes, JPBluesky, I often find that if I go treasure hunting with an open mind, then the best things turn up for me!

Edited by - Clare on Aug 08 2005 06:28:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  07:42:10 AM  Show Profile
Quitling Queen - I bet you are right on the money! That list was for a game, I bet. I once got an egg separater for winning a game at a tupperware party, but my mom had long ago shown me how to separate an egg by hand, so why use something else? :)

Clare - and you know it when you see it, right?

jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

hapyhrt
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  11:50:24 PM  Show Profile
I loved hearing about your memories of Tupperware parties! Ü Oh yes, the games, I recall one being items placed on a tray- the gals had like 30 seconds to look at the tray and memorize what was there, then had to right down all the items they had seen! Those who remember the most items usually won a trinket such as the egg seperator mentioned or orange peeler! What fun! I don't know if this list is for games or orders as it has the amount spent along with the gals phone numbers, the most spent by one person was a whooping $17.22 including tax and the least $1.55, hmm...wonder what she found so cheaply! Ha!
It's been fun to reminisce with ya'll!
Oh, and btw, anyone needing a recipe for 14 day Sweet Pickles? Yep, takes 2 weeks of preparation just to get to the point where the pickles are finally packed in hot jars for canning! Whew! Talk about pickle dedication! Ü

"Think HAPPY Thoughts...any others aren't worth your time!" Ü
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  1:17:16 PM  Show Profile
Sher- Maybe that's why things don't taste the same these days, it's a rare woman (or man!) that's got 14 days for pickle prep!I loved JP's comment about the grocery items, I was thinking along those same lines!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  1:19:52 PM  Show Profile
That sounds like my mom's pickle recipe.... they were packed and then not touched for a couple weeks. They were mighty tasty. Sweet pickles were my Dad's fav.

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  2:36:35 PM  Show Profile
Girls! I scored some neat treasures at Goodwill today! Alex and I were finishing up school shopping and she is in search of vintage type t-shirts. She found some cute t's for .50 a piece but then my eyes started to roam the store and fixed on a little wooden secretary. The kind that is half chest of drawers with a flip down secretary and little cubbies! Wood finish, very well loved, and seemed quite sturdy! Ten bucks! I am thinking of redoing by painting a funky color! Then I found a cute little turtle dove ceramic candy dish for .75. I love birds and this dove called out to me!

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  2:48:32 PM  Show Profile
Bingo! Jackpot Meadowlark!! Good job!

Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  2:48:50 PM  Show Profile
I love treasure hunting at resale stores and Salvation Army store . . . my best finds are restaurantware china. I just love the heavy dishes with simple designs, especially the red on white. Fun to use, and very durable. I have some old bowls from my Grandmother, who died in 1974 -- those thick-walled round cereal bowls, almost the color of oatmeal. Just love those, and I decided to add to them with the restaurant stuff. Almost always find something at the S-Army, including things I resell at a consignment shop or on Ebay. Fun!

But on the subject of true 'found' treasures, I once found a sewing machine curbside, waiting for the garbage truck to come by. It was a wonderful old machine, with a rounded top that fit over it. Fabulous -- actually sold it at the consignment store for $35.00 (sometimes I wish I had kept it!).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Treasures Found Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page