mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2007 :  10:09:19 AM  Show Profile
Are any of you Costco shoppers? If so, how often do you go and what do you typically buy there? DH and I are wondering if we go overboard with it.

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2007 :  10:47:04 AM  Show Profile
I have a membership and rarely shop there as I ALWAYS spend way more than what I intend...which is exactly what the store marketing policy is. I have two family members that work there and both will laugh if you tell them you spend more. Nobody goes into Costco for one or two items.
I did notice the last time I was there that they were bringing in more and more organic products though..rice, pasta, etc. which might make me have a closer look. I don't like the fact that they sell nothing that is local, and personally I find organic produce from Mexico and China suspect. Bugs me when we have fields of it here for sale.
Di
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2007 :  2:05:36 PM  Show Profile
I agree - DH and I mostly eat organic and Costco is bringing more in - but I really prefer to go to our local farmer's market. I went to Costco today and spent about $130 but that was mostly frozen fish, chicken, organic burger. I don't buy any veggies there.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2007 :  3:39:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My Fiance and I have a Costco membership and I love it! We buy meat there and other staples- like huge bags of Basmati rice, vinegar, condiments, some jarred spagetti sauce, things like that. We spend about $150 there when we go and we go about every 3 months. I like to buy local fresh produce, and if I could afford locally butchered meat- I would buy that as well.

It is a juggling game for me. Right now I am trying so hard to pay off debts and get my credit score fixed- I can't justify spending more on groceries than I have to. I really want to eat more organically but right now I kind of have to settle for just what I can grow in my garden and an occasional splurge.

When the farmer's market really gets going, I am hoping to buy some nice peaches to can since that is another item we buy a lot of from Costco.

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2007 :  4:06:48 PM  Show Profile
Funny you should ask--I just got home from Costco. I don't have a membership, but my mom does. We bought a set of glasses for a wedding shower present, a roast chicken, a frozen bbq beef brisket a can of almonds & a bag of dried mangoes for DH & me, and a roast chicken, a frozen beef & broccoli and a package of pork chops for mom & dad. Got out of there for less than $100--mom said that's the least she's spent there in years!.

She & dad go at least twice weekly--mostly for the food. She shops with the Costco coupons. She's planning to get a 42" flatscreen TV there next week when her coupon kicks in. I'm sure they spend way more than they really need to at Costco, but they don't drink, they don't gamble, they don't travel much, shopping Costco is their big fling!

http://ktknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2007 :  5:36:37 PM  Show Profile
I have access to both Sam's and Costco. Pay for Sam's and go as the second person on my son's Costco card. Think I may drop Sam's when it comes up, but a few things I buy all the time are there and not at Costco. Meat is great at Costco, but pricey. Sam's meat is good, unlike Walmarts, which I will not buy. Do I want "other natural ingredients" in my ground beef? NOOOOOOO. No one can tell me what that might be, but blood, gristle, bone...they're natural, but not what I want to pay for.
I always spend more than I expect at either place. Sometimes the price is the same at other stores but you get more or something extra.
Overall, with buying paper goods and some staples there, I do think it's worth the membership price.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2007 :  5:46:58 PM  Show Profile
We bought our leather couch at Costco - it was a really good price $799 where they were over 1200 at other places we looked.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2007 :  6:33:25 PM  Show Profile
I do shop there. Funny I am always the one with only 1 or 2 items! lol haha I wish they had a express lane. Thankfully people will usually let me go ahead of them seeing I only have 1 or 2 items. But, they are my staples. Today was cottage cheese and tzazki (sp) sauce-yogurt cucumber dill sauce.

Here's the other staples I get there-
Mushrooms
cherries
bananas
eggs
ground turkey
fish
canned chicken

I'm like Alee really don't have the money often to buy elsewhere. Especially here in NYC. And there's really not that many good places to shop here in NYC. (clean, no rats! etc). So when you find a rat free store.....you kind of like to stick with it. lol
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2007 :  6:36:18 PM  Show Profile
PS my bill is rarely over 100! It's usually closer to 20 to 30 dollars. Today it was 30 but that was because we bought 3 containers of cottage cheese, and 3 containers of the yogurt sauce. But, usually it's like bananas and eggs. lol So closer to 20. But, then again I get a lot of turkey too. lol hmmmm yeah usually 20 to 30 there. I'm not a big impluse buyer/shopper though. Usually only what I know I will use. (I eat cottage cheese every morning for breakfast-sometimes for snacks, and for my other meals too, but at least for breakfast daily. lol So 3 containers is about 2 weeks worth! lol).
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2007 :  7:09:51 PM  Show Profile
Yes, we do Costco and do save, we make a trip every couple of months, being on the fixed income that we are, it helps in the long run. We spend 150 and sometimes over. We always go in with a list and that helps as well. Also take our dd when she needs stuff. It makes it worth it for us.
Carol Sue

Life is short, enjoy every moment.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2007 :  9:27:04 PM  Show Profile
I have a Costco card but only go every couple of weeks. I don't shop there because I have to buy in such big quantities. But what I do buy I know I save money on. You just have to know prices at other places when you go in there because sometimes their deals aren't so good. I got my Stitchin Book there for $15.99!

Visit my Etsy shop at http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2007 :  10:03:07 PM  Show Profile
I used to go to Costco with my sis in law (her card) a couple times a year in calif..where we lived it was 15 miles away..but here it is an hour and 1/2 and I don't have a card so I havn't gone since we moved here nearly 5 years ago. I try really hard to shop local. I do go to Macy's for some things. It is alot like Food4Less in calif was..and I like their prices. Katiedid and I do plan a trip to Costco some time in the near future. It would be fun since I havn't gone in so long..and she has a card.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2007 :  12:27:02 PM  Show Profile
BTW I like BJ's a lot now too. It seems I can get in and out of there faster. (there is express lanes, and also self check out lanes!). And they sell smaller quanities of items which helps in some ways also.
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2007 :  7:33:14 PM  Show Profile
Yes.. we go to Costco too Sherri.. (naturaly..)
I like alot of their things.. But i REALLy love their cakes.. Specifically their Birthday cakes with the Mousse! & they are so inexpensive.. for a sheet.. when their is a B-Day at work!!
We have a BJ's too.. My Sams Club expired.. about 3 years ago i guess.. so must now need it....

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

threebusybees
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Mandi
Myrtle Beach South Carolina
222 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  07:29:12 AM  Show Profile
We go to Costco every two weeks. With 3 kids it is hard not to.
Baking Soda
Vinegar
Laundry Soap( they have EOS there)
Organic Peanut Butter
Cascadian Farms Cereal
Juice
Coffee
Half and Half
Dog Food
Coleman Hotdogs
Meats and cheeses
#10 tomatoes
I had never bought produce there until the other day when I saw that they were carring USA organics yea! There are no organic growers around here and the only decent farmers market is a 2 hr drive.so if I could I would buy local etc. We spend, but I don't have to go to the store the rest of the month except for little things.

Mandi

"There will no longer be so many pleasant things to look at if responsible people do not do something about the unpleasant ones." Madeleine L"Engle
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  08:10:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am just contemplating my cupboards and wondering when my next Costco run will be. Probably soon! LOL. I love having a backstock of food. If financial times get lean, it is nice to know you have food available.

And now that my garden is starting to produce, I feel a little more secure. It is such a limited garden this year though. Next year I am hoping to be able to plant more variety!

Alee

Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  1:36:16 PM  Show Profile
Alee - how far do you have to go to a Costco?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  2:21:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It is about a 45 minute drive, from Moscow to Clarkston. It's not to far, just long enough for my fiance and I to have some good chats and not too long for us to be worried about refrigeration issues. I just don't buy bulk ice cream- which is probably a good thing if I want to fit into my wedding dress this fall!!

Alee

Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  6:02:15 PM  Show Profile
We have Costco and Sam's and we call them our $200 store because no matter what I spend atleast that much every single time we go in to them!!

We only go once or twice a month and I buy....
milk
yeast
spices
fruit (right now we get grapefruit, watermelon, blueberries, canteloupe, honey dew, strawberries and pineapple)
frozen bs chicken breast
lean ground beef
dog food
dh's liquid vitamins
I think that is it.
Go to Top of Page

janetinva123
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Janet
newport news va
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  7:06:50 PM  Show Profile
I live just a couple of min from costco, bj's and sams but i live alone in a very small apartment so i don't have a membership to any of them. I do go to costco to get my precriptions filled. you don't have to have a membership for that. i'm afraid if i did get a membership i would spend too much so i stick with the meds only.

Jc
http://beloved-creations.blogspot.com
http://beloved-creations.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  10:42:03 PM  Show Profile
It'll be a good thing for us when we move to the cabin. Gotta have a lot of food on hand for times when we can't get out the road.
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  01:21:58 AM  Show Profile
Love Costco. I buy do MOST of my shopping there now. Used to be Walmart when they were new in town. But Costco had the Silver Hills bread and I get two loaves for almost what I pay for one at Walmart. I usually buy a couple of the two packs and put them in the freezer. We freeze our milk too. So I can stock up on lots of goodies and freeze it all, except for veggies, eggs and some of the dairy.
I love to look at the books! They get some great ones in from time to time.
Pamela

http://homesteadmercantile.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  08:12:33 AM  Show Profile
We shop at costco. With 7 audult sized people (we have 5 kids ages 14 and up) living in our home, we buy in bulk and have for some time. I try to be careful because Costco shopping can get out of hand in a hurry. Our shopping list varies depending on what we need. The best thing about shopping at Costco for me, right now, is that I don't have to go because my oldest son stops by on his way home from work and picks up things I need. This is my key to NOT overspending because I am not there to impulse buy.

Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  08:54:10 AM  Show Profile
Pamela - I love the books at Costco too. They have some of the big current sellers at such a reduced price!
Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  09:10:39 AM  Show Profile
Sheri not sure how far Elma is from Seattle. My husband loves Costco. We have several diffent kinds of Costco in our area. Costco home in Kirkland, it is the size of a regular Costoc but only sells furniture, decorator items,carpeting, cabinets, lighting fixtures, beds and electronice. The Costco business center in Lynnwood it sells office supplies and restaurant supplies. Then there are two stores in my area that are test centers. If the teh item sells quickly they buy it for the other stores (you sometimes find some strange stuff). I understand this Fall there is a new test center opening that will compete with Home Depot. When we bought our house my husband was concerned it was too far away from Costco. I find they don't always have te best prices. I have to put my husband on a Costco budget. The only thing I think they don't do well at is film development. The quality is so much better other places.

You only live once,if you do it right once is enough.
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  09:32:06 AM  Show Profile
I shop at Costco 4 to 6 times a year for staple items ( TP, toothpaste, laundry detergent, dishwasher liquid, canned goods, frozen goods, etc). With just the two of us (DD and myself), the fresh item packaging is too big - goes bad before we can use it all. However, on certain items it's cheaper than any other store. This past spring I bought berries (to freeze) that were cheaper than the farmers market or the store.

I've never found their meat counter to be a particularly good buy. I get better deals on the sale meat section of the grocery store - especially for pork, which we make into sausage for Italian sauce.

Since I started my new job I find myself shopping in town much more. And, with the right sale and the right coupon I can get a better price than Costco on some of the staple items, especially laundry items.

My biggest savings is on gas. I just filled up on Sunday and it was $3.03/gallon. That's cheap for So Cal. Town prices were $3.29 & up.

I get a rebate check from my Costco gas card at the end of the year. DD loves that because we buy things that are not normally on our list. Last year we had filet mignon for a holiday dinner. But, usually my more logical side kicks in and I stock up on non-perishables and staples.

The only thing I really hate is not being able to try a sample before I have to buy a gallon or a pallet of something new.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Costco shoppers? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page