Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  7:32:55 PM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls! Now that both my girls are home all day (school's out!), I'm looking for some healthy snacks for them to munch on during the day. We usually let them have a dessert snack after lunch and supper and then one more snack in the early afternoon (between those two meals). I'm ashamed to say that a lot of the time it's some candy they've found in the candy jar (surprise). I like to have cookies or cake around (my vice), but that's not much better than a sucker, I guess. So, what can y'all suggest? It doesn't have to be completely au naturale healthy, but something that's better than the processed cookies and things we get at the store.

Thanks-
Kim in NC, who's trying to break her own sugar habit

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  7:56:10 PM  Show Profile
I like pb! lol Graham crackers and pb, apples and pb, and pb sandwiches. lol All pretty healthy and good filling snacks.

Cheeses, with fruit is also good. Or even a cheese sandwich. (most kids don't get enough calcium as it is!). String cheese even by it self is a pretty good snack.

Tortillas are great too. The small 6 inch ones-spread pb in one, make a sandwich wrap-turkey/mayo etc. Or even spray with some cooking spray, and sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top and bake in the toaster oven till crispy! Or melt some cheese in one! lol

hmmmm, I also have been liking chocolate dipped strawberries too! lol I get them prefrozen and made at Trader Joe's. lol But, you could make your own.

Also yogurt with fruit and graham crackers or a crunchy cereal added to it is yummy.

Sometimes even a bowl of cereal and milk I think is a good and filling snack. Of course I get the high fiber cereals. Now a lot of the higher fiber cereals are making versions of the less fiber cereals-like if they like Life there is Shredded Spoonfuls, less sugar and more fiber. Or cheerios there is Heart To Heart-more fiber and other vitamins. If they like graham cracker taste-Vive by Kashi is good. And if they like Raisin Bran, Fiber One's Honey Raisin Clusters are pretty good!

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Jun 18 2007 7:57:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  9:42:09 PM  Show Profile
We have to be careful because the girls are allergic to dairy. So we make rice krispi squares with rice krispies or a healthy granola to make quick granola bars, baby carrots, chocolate chip cookies, almonds, cashews, fruit, italian ices, tortilla wraps, bagels, tortilla pizzas (no cheese), applesauce, dried fruit--- things like that.

Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth!
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  9:43:51 PM  Show Profile
We have to be careful because the girls are allergic to dairy. So we make rice krispi squares with rice krispies or a healthy granola to make quick granola bars, baby carrots, chocolate chip cookies, almonds, cashews, fruit, italian ices, tortilla wraps, bagels, tortilla pizzas (no cheese), applesauce, dried fruit--- things like that.

Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  10:15:49 PM  Show Profile
My kids love fresh fruit, string cheese or homemade mozzarella cubes, crackers or celery sticks with peanut butter, chunks of watermelon, carrots with ranch dip, and fresh bread. Or good muffins too. I don't allow my kids much sugar at all so they don't even ask..but after a hot couple of hours helping me in the garden I do let them have a popsicle now and then...I try for them to be juice bars but sometimes they arn't. No sodas or koolaid here, but they do get fresh lemonade for a treat, and they LOVE homemade or storebought granola bars.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  10:34:58 PM  Show Profile
My kids used to love half an apple cored, with the center filled with peanut butter and shredded cheese on top.
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  10:43:59 PM  Show Profile
I always keep frozen berries around. I buy the raspberry, blackberry and blueberry mix... sometimes Peanut just picks out the blueberries, but that is ok. I also will make sugarfree vanilla pudding and add a whole bag of these frozen berries. If it is an easy snack to grab... that is what gets picked first. So I try to keep easy stuff around. He is 3.5, so it is easy to hide things or get him interested in something else by acting excited. Cheese sticks are easy and he likes those too.

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com www.Botanical-Bath.com www.BotanicalBath.etsy.com http://botanicalbath.blogspot.com/

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  1:42:08 PM  Show Profile
Great suggestions.

The berries reminded me, a huge smoothie that would serve two that I love is-

1 cup frozen strawberries
1 cup milk (or soy milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
sweetner/sugar to taste-you must add this before you start blending cause it's too thick to add it after it's "smoothied!". Personally I like 4 packets of Splenda! lol haha I know a lot. But, find how much sugar etc you like for your families taste. (even if you used that much sugar, it's still a LOT less sugar then what kids would get with just one can of soda.)

Blend in blender till smooth, thick and creamy. Taste like a wonderful strawberry milk shake to me!

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Jun 19 2007 1:43:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  2:41:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I used to come home and either put some margarine (was allergic to butter) on a tortilla with some cinnamon sugar and then heat it up, or I would get a plain rice cake and put some margarine and honey on it. You can also make homemade fruit leather that can be really yummy and healthy. Homemade cookies and cakes are fine and much better than store bought. You could make carrot cake cookies and cakes- that way they get some veggies too!

Green apples with PB is really yummy

Another favorite is Bananna Shakes! Yum! Cut up banannas as they get over ripe and freeze. Then pop in banannas into the blender with a cup or two of milk. The frozen bananna gets pulverized and it turns into a really healthy shake! Since the banannas were overly ripe- you don't have to add any sugar! Yum yum!

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  3:55:44 PM  Show Profile
My whole family loves pumpkin-oatmeal-walnut cookies. Lots of good-for-you stuff and since you make them yourself, you control the sugar. My family loves them when I make them in the fall. DH and I always take a bunch when we go hunting. Makes for an easy to eat, quiet, energy food that's good for you too.

When I was a kid, my girlscout leader would make us whip cream mixed with applesauce and then scooped into an icecream cone on every camp out. We loved those.

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

We come from Nature, we go back to Nature; health & happiness in between requires intimacy with Nature.
Go to Top of Page

juliet79
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Heather
Worland Wyoming
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  5:10:32 PM  Show Profile
Cookies, string cheese, yogurt smoothies, cheese crackers, sugar snap peas, cheese and crackers. Raisins. Try making your own snack mix with leftover marshmallows, chocolate chips, crackers, preztels, etc etc. Put them in baggies and watch them disappear! My kids LOVE this, they grap a handful of everything, dump it in the bag and shake! You can also add raisins or dried fruit too and make your own trail mix. What about jerky? Lunch meat rolled up with cheese and a piece of lettuce or spinach makes a handy snack they can even carry around!
Go to Top of Page

Peg Graham
True Blue Farmgirl

281 Posts

Peg
Chesapeake Virginia
USA
281 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  09:48:58 AM  Show Profile
my kids love:

-granola bars
-fruit w/ yogurt dip or natural peanut butter
-apple slices & cheese
-'Healthy Pops': Freeze fresh, unsweetened 100% juice with fruit pieces in ice pop molds or ice cube trays.
-homemade mini bagel pizzas
-popcorn
-muffins
-veggies and lowfat ranch dip
-'Happy Trails Mix': almonds, craisins and carob chips
-'Fruit Smoothies':

Strawberry Smoothie
1 2/3 C. frozen strawberries
3/4 C. cold water
20 grams whey powder
1 T. granulated fructose
2 1/3 T. sliced almonds

Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie
1 banana, medium
¾ C. 1% milk, low fat
1 1/3 T. natural peanut butter
20 grams whey powder

Go to Top of Page

Peg Graham
True Blue Farmgirl

281 Posts

Peg
Chesapeake Virginia
USA
281 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  09:51:08 AM  Show Profile
My daughter started ballet and my sons started Karate yesterday....so our snack before classes were fruit smoothies and a granola bar. Held them up during the activities.

miles of smiles~
Peg
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  11:38:48 AM  Show Profile
Great thread! I'm about to whip up a smoothie for Jackson right now and thought I'd throw in my "recipe" since it's slightly different than the others here:

* frozen strawberries
* frozen blueberries
* frozen banana chunks
* about a cup of vanilla soy milk (or regular milk)
* a little splash of OJ or apple juice
* about a cup of yogurt - any flavor, vanilla, berry, etc.

I don't measure, but they always turn out great. He drinks them from his special "smoothie bottle" which is just a lunch bottle with a straw. When he sees that green bottle come out of the cupboard, watch out! The kid does his smoothie dance!

Catherine :)

My Blog: http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com

My Etsy Shop: http://yogurtandgranola.etsy.com

Buy Nothing Summer Blog: http://buynothingsummer.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  1:16:01 PM  Show Profile
Kim,
my 8 year old neice Zoey & i like to freeze things to see what is yummy frozen..
She gets a big kick out of this.. & it's fun to see what works..
we cut fruit up & mix it in things like ice cream, sherbert, jello or pudding.. or even Koolaide.. & throw some fruit in.. sometimes even cool whip.. depending of course on what we are making.. We have even frozen chocolate milk.. & she's experimented with mini marshmallows or chocolate chips.. We do it in small plastic cups.. & then it's a nice sized treat later.. usually that afternoon.. or the next day.. But in the smal cup.. she can pick at it... & even put it back in the freezer for later if she wants.. During the summer this is great since it's so hot here!
We also do alot of things with the food dehydrater.. we do that all year long though.. But summer time.. we have fun with the fruit too.. & she likes to try to make her own fruit roll ups.. they get to try some fruits that they may not have normaly tried this way too.. even if you just buy say one kiwi.. or star fruit.. it's nice to have a varity to their trail mix that they made themselves!

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  1:46:34 PM  Show Profile
I love celery stick with creamcheese in them and raisins on top!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

wovenheart
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Dona
Washington State
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  5:14:14 PM  Show Profile
When our boys were growing up they loved making what we called 'walking salads'. Lettuce leave washed & dried, spread all natural peanut butter (just plain ol' ground up peanuts) on top of the lettuce, next some shredded carrot then sprinkle a small handful of raisins. Roll the lettuce leaf up jelly roll style and enjoy! Great for hikes!

"It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder...It's the stillness that fill me with peace."
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic healthy kid snacks Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page