True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Kary
knitting in the sea on an island RI
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  04:41:34 AM  Show Profile
Hi Farm Girls!
I was wondering ... I love ALL vintage linens & I have a tiny collection started. I would love to use some of my table cloths ... but I am SO afraid of stains.
Covering them with plastic is a consideration, but I love 'seeing' the texture of the threads ... Any recommendations?
Thanks & Hugs!
Kary

http://sheepatthebeachartstudio.blogspot.com

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  04:53:40 AM  Show Profile
Kary,
Use them and enjoy them, if a messy meal is comming take it off the table. You can also display them on something like a dying rack, if you have a display shelf in the kitchen fold them up and stack them so they can be seen.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  07:02:47 AM  Show Profile

Denture tablets will take out most food based stains and Dawn original dishwashing liquid will do wonders for grease stains. Remember the Exxon Valdez oil spill in Alaska; that's what they used to clean the birds. I stopped using a tablecloth, decided the wood was too pretty to cover up and just use placemats. Use the linens and enjoy them...I buy way too many that were "saved for good" and never used.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  08:22:07 AM  Show Profile
I use mine, but just a few-I worry about the fabric getting rotten after so many years. Ronna's right about Dawn. That stuff just does wonders!

I bought an old wooden barn ladder, and most of mine are starched and pressed, hanging on that. It's my dh's favorite part of our living room.

Good luck!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  08:40:40 AM  Show Profile
I use all my vintage tablecloths. I have a large round oak table, so I put a 70" round woven tablecloth on it, and then layer on a few square vintage tablecloths. I just peel them off one at a time to wash! Am finding many many of the square kind, cardtable-size and a bit larger, in thrift stores. I use Oxyclean -- it even gets out 'vintage' stains that some of the tablecloths come with! For stubborn stains, I soak in Oxyclean and then hang in the sun before rinsing, then back inside for a full wash/rinse cycle.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  08:56:49 AM  Show Profile
When I had kids at home, I used to leave my tableclothes on the table at meal time, and just put a dishtowel down under their plates and under any dishes of foods that could stain. Worked like a charm.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  08:57:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Okay- I am chicken. I have a beautiful table cloth that was hand embroidered by my Great Great Aunt Nora. I haven never used it. I don't think I will use it. It just is way to special to me. I might get it framed or I might display it. I wouldn't mind using other vintage linens that weren't made by family, but since I have so few of Aunt Nora's things, I think I will try to keep this one in good condition.

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

theknottysheep
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Kary
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  09:53:59 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the great suggestions ... I have always kept a few things aside, to save them for that 'special ocassion' - only to find them ruined in one way or another.
I will be using my vintage textiles! Love the encouragement - thanks!
hugs,
Kary

Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  2:18:52 PM  Show Profile
Kary
i have a couple too that i love & want to use because they are so pretty.. but like you.. I hate the idea of spilling something on them that i JUST WON"T be able to get out!!!
I bought some clear vinyl that i was making bags out of & i thought.. hmmmm .. I don't really like the idea of covering my table with plastic.. but i really referred sparing the table cloth! So.. when i am using one that is so delicate.. i cover it with the vinyl.. it even comes it diffrent colors too if you want to try something really funky!

i love hanging mine up too though.. Some things i have hanging on an old bunk bed ladder.. with some of my Aprons.. looks sweet..

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  3:54:17 PM  Show Profile
Use them! Think how many times they have been used before you! And they were probably laundered the way most women did back then -- hot water and bleach. I'm not recommending that now because the fabric is fragile from age. I collect vintage tablecloths and use every one of them. If they get a stain I just use Oxi-Clean, soak, then wash and line dry.

Visit my Etsy shop at http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

theknottysheep
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Kary
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  4:03:56 PM  Show Profile
Again ... the encouragement is GREAT! I have so many new ideas for using them ... AND displaying them! YiPpEE!

I must admit, I do like 'knowing' that they were used in a previous time. Anything 'vintage', I am sure, has the best stories of days gone by! If only we knew them.
hugs,
kary

Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  6:28:35 PM  Show Profile
I too collect vintage tablecloths and napkins. I use them all the time. I haven't met a food or wine stain that I couldn't get out. I've been using Shout stain treatment with much success. If its a really bad stain I treat it with Shout and work it in with a soft toothbrush then squirt more on the stain and let it sit overnight. This works really well.I wash in really hot water. I have started using Oxyclean recently. Got a tip to use it on this website. It is good stuff. I used alot of it in some very hot water in the machine to soak and then wash a very soiled tablecloth and a white shirt. I swear by that stuff. Everything came out beautiful. The shirt looked whiter than ever. I also use fabric softener when washing my tablecloths, this seems to help future stains from digging in.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Vintage Tablecloths Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page