Lavendar fields dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

little monkeys mommy
washington
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2007 :  4:53:03 PM  Show Profile
yummy i cant wait. How about a strawberry picking extravagansay(spelling). i really want to can some jelly for winter and i have pectin already. woo-hoo. i will be posting a swapping for jars the right size mine are all to large.
Go to Top of Page

Lavendar fields dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

little monkeys mommy
washington
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2007 :  5:00:46 PM  Show Profile
hey does anyone have space for us to camp out overnight? Or how far is it from spokane gals?
Go to Top of Page

Lavendar fields dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

little monkeys mommy
washington
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2007 :  5:02:04 PM  Show Profile
woo-hoo my last posting got me my blue stars. yipeee skippy now i can do the apron swap and tea towel swap. does anyone know where the sign up list is?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2007 :  9:48:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
If you want to camp out camp out you could use my back yard. Or we have a large living room, but I would have to clear it with my fiance first. He wouldn't want me to just spring it on him- but he really is quite friendly and welcoming! :)

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  06:19:02 AM  Show Profile
After our drive last night, dh and I put on our long sleeves and pants and went to the lower portion of our yard to pick blackberries. We had burgers, homemade mac & cheese and blackberry cobbler with vanilla ice cream for supper. Great end to a great day!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  08:49:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
ooo! Blackberry Cobbler! What a great idea!!

Michelle- When do you get back from your trip? I was wondering if you wanted to go berry picking around the 14th but if that is too late for you- you and I could go berry picking this weekend?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  09:56:36 AM  Show Profile
Alee, I'm having guests the weekend of the 14th. I'll get back to you this evening. I really hope this weekend will work out!

My wild blackberries are blooming for the first time. They were a transplant the quail brought in last year. I've had to trim the heck out of them to keep them out of the lawn, but they don't seem to mind.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  7:15:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My blackberry bush in the back yard is blooming! Yay! It won't yield much fruit (when compared to the patch that I will be taking ya'll to!)

Michelle- Let me know if tomorrow or the next day works best for you :)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  10:09:05 PM  Show Profile
We went out and picked again this evening. It was like we hadn't picked any yesterday, there were so many new "ripe" ones!!! These I froze. Next batch we pick, I'll do something fresh with them, and then....well, I guess we'll see how many are left!

My lab mix, Eli, thought the frozen berries were great in his super hot dog-wrestling mouth!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  10:24:26 PM  Show Profile
Okay, blackberry smorgasbord by sundown tomorrow. So many kinds are coming on faster than I can pick! I just love wild blackberry jam. I take the seeds out of about 1/2 the berries, it helps. Summers riches...mmmm

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2007 :  5:21:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Michelle-

How do you get all those little seeds out? Hints and tips would be great! It was lots of fun meeting you today and we did really great picking all those berries!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Lavendar fields dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

little monkeys mommy
washington
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2007 :  6:11:53 PM  Show Profile
yummy cant wait to go picking
hmmmm..... may have to bring some cookware to make something right away like a pie and i will bring milk to go with the pie lol

lavendar girl
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2007 :  8:06:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Heck! We can just bring sugar and dip them in it and eat them raw! I love eatting sugared blackberries! yummy!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  08:37:25 AM  Show Profile
It's been awhile since I made wild blackberry jam. Seems like I either used a wire sieve and pressed, or a food mill. I'd post a picture of my old food mill, but I just shared it. They look like a cross between a saucepot and a sieve, with a blade in the bottom and a handle. You turn the handle, the blade presses the food against the sieve, and pulp comes out the bottom while pits and seeds stay in the pot. Pretty handy, and all manual. They last forever.

I had a lovely time meeting you Alee! Or should I have called you Alyssa? You and Nora are absolutely a joy to spend time with. I'll have a chat with my houseguests this weekend, and we just might join you for another berry nice day. Gives me time to manufacture the delux berry getter tool we talked about. :) If I get to it, I'll bring one for you.

Thanks for a great day!

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  6:00:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Michelle- That would be great! I would be wonderful to see you again and to meet your guests! You can call me either Alee or Alyssa. Either way! I got the nickname Alee because a close friend couldn't pronouce my name (Alyssa) and it was also easier for my nieces and nephews to say at first. So I pretty much will respond to anything! LOL!

I mashed some up with a hand blender but when I put it in my wire sieve it seemed like it would take forever for it to go through. I guess I just need to be more patient or push it through? I will try again! :)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  7:42:56 PM  Show Profile
Try the back of a spoon to push the pulp through, and sort of keep at it and scoop the seeds out of the way. It is labor intensive that way. Probably why I only messed with 1/2 the berries and tossed in the rest to make the batches. Might find a good food mill at a second hand store? I don't even know where to look for a new one?

We make a difference.

Edited by - Huckelberrywine on Jul 08 2007 7:44:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  9:09:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I was thinking of mixing in some water with the pulp to help it all get through and then when I make my jam or whatever, just letting it cook out the water... or is that a bad idea?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  05:51:52 AM  Show Profile
Can one of you share your recipe for making jam/jelly?

We've got about 4 more days growth to pick. My husband said yesterday, "they're turning color right before my eyes!", and one bush in particular is just LADEN with berries and they're HUGE! I froze about 3-4 lbs, and made a cobbler and a trifle for a party, so now I'll do something "permanent"

I'd really appreciate it!
J

Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  08:28:09 AM  Show Profile
Okay, do yours have enormous seeds? I know it is part of the charm of wild blackberries, but the charm wore thin or I'm picky because I have to go to the dentist today. So, I decided to make jelly with the rest of mine and get rid of the seeds.

The recipe I am using (berry juice is dripping out right now) came right in the box of pectin. If you would rather not use pectin, I have a really old cookbook I know has a recipe that you just cook a long time to the jelly stage and I would be happy to look that up and share with you. Just let me know and I'll get back to you. :)

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  10:25:48 AM  Show Profile
Not really...I'm not picking them out of my teeth, if that's what you mean

I don't know the pros/cons of pectin. If you say it's good, I'm sure it is! My last experience with canning, I didn't use the pectin and it turned out to be a hocky puck. Perhaps this time I should give it a shot!!!! What brand do you use?

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  11:41:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have never tried making jam/jelly before. When I made my tarts- the filling was like a dry jam though- I just used a bit of sugar. So I guess I need to buy pectin and get a recipe too! LOL

Alee
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  12:05:16 PM  Show Profile
Alee--
I had this big plan last summer to make jelly or jam. I was going to be the canning queen! Shoot, if my gran could do it, then so could I. I went to the little hardward store down the street, bought the middle of the road canning "system" and a book and decided on my recipe. Blackberry jam. I think I must have cooked it too long or something...anyway, the canning part, which I was most worried about (lids fitting, sealing, etc...) worked just fine. When I went to open the jam for next am's breakfast, it was quite literally a purple hockey puck. I couldn't even salvage the jars! Had to throw all six out. Jus still laughs at me.

Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  7:23:34 PM  Show Profile
Oh no! I did that last year with huckleberries. Tiny jars of tar. I think I cooked it too long (used a lime instead of pectin). But I couldn't toss out huckleberries! So, we made it into syrup. Heated the hockey puck in the microwave to melt, poured into a pan, added water and cooked ...Wa-la!

I use whatever pectin the store has. Ball makes one called natural gel, but it has dextrose (cornsugar?). You can make your own pectin from unripe apples, and there is a recipe in the Ball BlueBook to do that. But I just loaned mine out this afternoon. :) Farmgirl is a contagious condition!

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  06:21:44 AM  Show Profile
Glad to know I'm not the only one, Michelle! That's exactly what mine looked like--tiny jars of tar, only my tar was pretty well "fixed". I couldn't even crack it with a hammer!

Good idea to melt that down, though. I'll remember that for future mishaps, and there WILL be mishaps with me!

I'll get some pectin--dh was out picking again this am, so I've got a lot of berries!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Lavendar fields dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

little monkeys mommy
washington
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  6:22:11 PM  Show Profile
ok that is really funny girls, luckily i havent had any hockey pucks but i had tons of strawberry syrup one year cause i didnt cook it long enough and i still have some jars laying around of it. i am so sick of it that i plan on disposing of it and reclamming my jars

lavendar girl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Wild Blackberry (Bramble) bushes Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page