Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  10:42:16 AM  Show Profile
Hi! I am starting an herb garden and I am going to be doing containers. Is there certain herbs that I shouldn't plant with the others. I know some things are bad about taking over. Or is it better to plant several different kinds in one container/spot? I don't know what to do. I'm going to be using those old whiskey barrel type containers along with a couple other wood boxes or whatever I can come up with that will compliment my get-away cabin. I'd love any ideas. Thanks so much!

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

www.mikkijo.etsy.com

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/

AliShuShu
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Alison
Charlotte NC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  12:07:52 PM  Show Profile  Send AliShuShu an AOL message  Send AliShuShu a Yahoo! Message
i'll be watching this thread closely as i, too, will be starting my first herb garden this year... i envision something that looks like an olde english garden.. sort of over-grown... soft, fuzzy edges and cozy...

Alison
I think that if ever a mortal heard the voice of God it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. ~F. Frankfort Moore, A Garden of Peace
Namaste'
www.shumusings.com
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  12:16:03 PM  Show Profile
I have an herb garden in a medium sized concrete container. Very plain---rectangular shaped. Last year I potted herbs, such as basil, lavender, tyme and sage, and they were crowded together. I made sure I put the container in a spot with full sun, and I watered it daily at the end of the day. It did very well. It was full and healthy. I did the same thing this year, and so far,so good. Looks nice.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  12:29:23 PM  Show Profile
I think what Judy is doing sounds good. Last year I planted several differnt herbs in there own pots, and they didn't do to good. I think they like to be together. There are some that can take over, so find out which ones will overrun and spoil the others.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

threebusybees
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Mandi
Myrtle Beach South Carolina
222 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  12:43:17 PM  Show Profile
Keep mint seperate it is invasive. I love it, but now it is covering my lawn. Sure smell great when we mow it. This was a gift from the people that used to own our house. So be wary of anything in the mint family. Don't even sink it it will escape! Lemon Balm, oregan etc. can be invasive also sometimes, plus it needs to have alot of room. Plant stuff that has a tap root with stuff that doesn't ex. Basil has a tap root thyme doesn't. They'll have more room. Dill grow from seed. I've been told it hates to have it's sunlight messed with. Rodale has a great herb book Rodales Illustrated Encyclopedia of herbs it has everything you need! Hope this helps.

Mandi

"There will no longer be so many pleasant things to look at if responsible people do not do something about the unpleasant ones." Madeleine L"Engle
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  2:20:41 PM  Show Profile
Thanks very much. I have not the slightest idea about what has a taproot and what doesn't. Thanks for the heads up on the book!

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

www.mikkijo.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  3:08:38 PM  Show Profile
Watch out for mint! IT SPREADS!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

threebusybees
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Mandi
Myrtle Beach South Carolina
222 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  3:10:03 PM  Show Profile
Taproots are roots that grow long and straight like a carrot. I think parsley is a tap root also. Thyme for example is a fiborous roots so it spreads. I grow my bay and rosemary in pots they look lovely. I like the way basil and a creeping thyme look. Most culinary herbs grow well in pots and you can over winter them inside. My grandmothers would take hers into her basement under plants lights all winter. Sorry if i didn't explain myself better. I am not an expert but I love herbs and when you can't grow your own veggies at least you can cook with something fresh that you grew.

Mandi

"There will no longer be so many pleasant things to look at if responsible people do not do something about the unpleasant ones." Madeleine L"Engle
Go to Top of Page

Runbikegrrl
True Blue Farmgirl

250 Posts

MaryAnn
Waterbury Ctr VT
USA
250 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  4:55:00 PM  Show Profile
Some herbs want sun ( the majority of them originate from dry sunny environments) so they need sun to help them develop their esential oils ( stuff that makes them smell and taste good!) but a few need shade. Also some are annuals or biannuals so I usually just do them in pots (like basil, dill and parsly. Others like invasive mint (tarragon is invasive too), chives, rosemary, sage, thyme and marjoran I would put in the ground. they say soil preparation is important but I have had pretty good luck just digging a hole : )

"So many interests so little time!"

Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  9:00:34 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info. I'm doing container gardening to keep me from as much work. My knees bother me and I just have done better with containers for my regular flowers the past three years. I've actually enjoyed caring for them so much more. It got to be so burdensome the other way it became a chore. I can't wait to get started. Probably tomorrow will be a good day.

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

www.mikkijo.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  12:38:08 PM  Show Profile
HI Mikki! I have a small knot type garden with herbs but started doing big mixed pots a few years ago and I seem to have better yield and less pests for most of the common herbs. Coriander does not like to be disturbed so give it it's own pot or box. Everyone is right about the mint so I just plant many varieties in an old water trough and let them go. (I have spearmint, peppermint, chocolate mint and a very strange bicolor mint that is very potent but of unknown variety). Plant twice as much parsley as you will need because it is a favorite food forlarvael stage moths and butterflies. I have never had a problem with anything affecting anything else but know what height and habit your plants will have so that tall goes in the back or center and lower growers can ring the edges. I am currently growing lemon verbena, bay, oregano- greek and reg,dill,marjoram, 5 types of thyme, lavender, chives, basil- opal, reg. & globe, sage, parsley-italian & curly, heliotrope all in big pots. I use the terra cotta look a likes but make sure I punch some extra nail holes in the bottom for extra drainage. The good and bad of plastic is that it holds water well, sometimes too well. I also set my pots on top of bricks so they aren't directly on the ground. I have never had damping off, powdery mildew or rot with this method and we do get muggy and wet here! Good luck...I know what you mean about the knees, this is a good solution!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  1:54:07 PM  Show Profile
I've always planted them in pots, and they do quite well...well, except for my dill, who just shriveled up and died last week (????), but I like to group them together, usually by how often I use them. I plant 2 very large herb pots, and a long rectangular pot with my hot peppers and then tomatoes in pots, all together so it's a "kitchen garden". This year I located them by my raised bed, just in the side yard.
I have started planting my chives in my raised bed because they'll come back, and I plant quite a bit of them. I used to bring the containers in during the autumn to save the chives and rosemary, but my darn cats chewed them down to stubs!!!

I don't think you can go wrong, really :)

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  08:42:51 AM  Show Profile
Tarragon is another herb that spreads wildly.

Actually, my tarragon is out pacing the mint & oregano!!

Jonni - dill is an annual that reseeds itself. You should get more dill yet this year from the seeds.

Cyndi
Muller's Lane Farm http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

BeckyM540
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Becky
Nebo WV
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  07:05:38 AM  Show Profile  Send BeckyM540 an AOL message
This is what I like about this site, have a question, look and the answer may already be there. if not ask and the answers come pouring in. Thanks girls for the answers.

From the hills of WV
Becky
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Herb Garden??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page