Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 farmhouse renovation/restoration-movin in pics
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic farmhouse renovation/restoration-movin in pics Next Topic
Page: of 9

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  06:00:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Yippee!!! I'll be looking for a job that needs a lift now! This part of the house was built in 1918. And it's really huge compared with the two rooms they started with in the back. They just built this part smack in front of the other part...very weird. I've read some stuff online about 'kit houses' back then. Even Sears sold houses in kit form. And Irvington, KY is right on the railroad line still. I just wonder if this house was built from a kit...it's just such a giant leap-the size, the transom windows, the woodwork, the stairway and especially the fact that the room measurements are pretty square(15'by15'). All those windows were original window openings - the original ones were longer-all the way to the floor. I just didn't want my windows to be so tall. The next thing on the list is HVAC-I need to get prices for heating/cooling for the upstairs. I'm still set on using my corn-burning furnace for the first floor(it's supposed to heat a 2500 sq. foot house). The house is wired and nearly plumbed. I'm not sure what comes next...Major Mike will have to tell me the game plan. He and I have a game we play....I tell him what I want, and he tells me what I can have-LOL-:D

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  08:12:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well if it is wired and plumbed, I would think the next step would be dry wall and insulation for the walls. You are very lucky to have Major Mike :) He seems like a good friend and with the amount of progress being made- He sure is a good General! Marshalling all his "troops" into action! :)

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  10:42:12 AM  Show Profile
Wow I will pack my bags and be there I want the bedroom in the back and a claw tub in my ensuite! Fantabulous job!
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  2:50:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Ok, Carrie! Come on down! You may have to share a room with Jack and Dave, though. They shouldn't take up much space. I bet they're 'bearly' much more than 18" tall. ;D

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  9:40:58 PM  Show Profile
Ah someone to snuggle with how sweet!
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  09:27:51 AM  Show Profile
Janice-What an exciting adventure for you and how awesome that you saved the bones of your house. The stairs and trim are amazing. I love seeing the progress! Keep sharing!!!

Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
http://18happyhens.blogspot.com
www.LaMargueriteFarm.com
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  10:51:42 AM  Show Profile
Janice, Your house is going to be amazing! Looks like it's progressing well..I love the doors (freebie at that, wow), your tub and the interior has great character. It'll be fun to see it all completed and decorated. Thanks for the photos!
Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  12:05:31 PM  Show Profile
The pictures are wonderful Janice.

I love how it is all coming along!

Thanks so much for sharing!

Cyndi
Muller's Lane Farm http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  05:28:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message

The first photo is one of a bunch or interior matching doors that my friend and co-worker Linda(she who designed the farmhouse addition on graph paper-LOL!) found stored in the basement of her circa 1920 house when she bought it years ago. They had been removed in a previous remodel and now I'm refinishing them to use in the addition(just enough for the entire first floor of the new addition).
The second pic is my stove for the farmhouse. It was made by Lindeman and Hoverson(it's really hard to find out info about them). I found it in a little junk store not far from the farm. It had been purchased by the current owner's mother and had been used by her daughter-how could they give up such a family treasure? The color is cream with a blending of pale green(sort of jadeite). The last photo is my refrigerator - a GE two door monitor top that is in perfect working condition. I keep buying cool stuff and storing it in the farmhouse, which aggravates the guys-:D I just tell them they need to speed up the work - because I'M MOVING IN!!!!!!!!

Edited by - Miss Bee Haven on Jul 03 2007 05:37:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  06:57:13 AM  Show Profile
Wow - I just found this conversation thread, and LOVED reading the whole thing. Thank you so much for all the photos, and truly this could be a great article for Country Living or something! You are doing such a wonderful job, and what a fantastic house! Much admiration goes to you, Janice, and for all of you who are working so hard.

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Robo
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Robin
Louisville KY
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  07:25:47 AM  Show Profile
Hi Janice....I live in Louisville too. What area of town are you in? I live in Valley Station off of Moorman Rd, by the Gene Snyder. These are really neat pics!
Robin
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  07:30:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Hi, Robin! I live in the south end near Iroquois Park(hopefully not for too much longer-lol!). Are you close to Farnsley-Moorman historic home? It's my absolute favorite-what a river view! What a wonderful FARM HOUSE it is!

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Robo
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Robin
Louisville KY
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  08:09:34 AM  Show Profile
Hi Janice.....yep, within walkin distance. My husband has a garden plot down there and my sister volunteers there too. It is a well kept secret. I had told Frannie of Cabin Creek about it and that she needed to visit. I go with my husband often, while he is weeding, I am wandering.....lots to explore. Actually, there is an ice cream social there, Sunday, 1 - 6, July 8th! They have a nice program in the fall too, period costumes, booths, amish folks, etc and it is so much fun and tours too!
Real good chattin with you! I am a newby on the forum. Frannie introduced me to the site and this is a really nice place to meet new friends and to learn lots!
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  08:13:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I bought tons of plants at the sale there earlier in the spring. I'd like to go this Sunday, but we've got so much work to do on our daylilies at the farm(working on a new bed to 'house' the thousand plants we bought two weeks ago at the Daylily Show in Clarksville, IN). Do you know a woman who volunteers named Sue(Swift?). She told me that there is going to be a plant swap later in the summer. I hope so....that would be GREAT!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  08:49:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow! I think it is great that there are two farmgirls that live in the same town! Wouldn't it be wild if you two actually knew each other in passing?

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tpying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Robo
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Robin
Louisville KY
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  09:42:43 AM  Show Profile
The daylilies there are wonderful. We have several too. I think my sister knows Sue but I thought her last name was Butterworth...or something with Butter??? I believe Sue is who I spoke with about planning a wedding reception for my daughter last fall but we ended up having it at Mike Linnings....another known landmark, huh? I visited Frannie a couple of weeks ago and took her some daylily tubers from there. The daylily society had a sale at Jefferson Mall that weekend and my husband was cleaning up the scraps! (ha)
Have you ever seen Mr. Thompson, a retired teacher from the ole Stuart High School down there with his hummingbirds? He was in the Courier Journal a while back with a nice article. He has a BEAUTIFUL hummingbird site for anyone interested..www.e-hummingbirds.com and lots of his pics come from there. I have kept the article if anyone is interested, e-mail me and I will gladly send it.
Alee...I have lived in Louisville....all my born days! It would be a hoot if I knew her or had seen her. Either way....this is such a fun way of meeting new folks!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  11:43:38 AM  Show Profile
That's GREAT, Janice! I wondered where you've been, now I know-out looking for another job!!!!!

Is it the same guy you mentioned in your email?

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  11:52:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Yep, I found him at a home remodeling show. We met him last Thursday at the farm and yesterday, he met us at a restaurant and gave us the estimate. I took our buddy Mike and he passed the Major Mike Extreme Scrutiny Test. So we're all going out again this Thursday and meet the owner of the company and finalize where the vents are going, etc.....Now if I can only figure out where to get $21,000!!!!!!! I had NO IDEA!!!!!

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  11:58:01 AM  Show Profile
It's unbelievable, isn't it? I mean, my little cottage's furnace was $4k. Certainly electric heat is a bit less expensive, but not much. But your not just getting heat, you're getting the whole shebang, starting from scratch!!!!

Way Cool, and it's great to have a Major Mike buddy. I have one, too--he's a Major Matt, and often helps me with mechanics :)

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  9:22:50 PM  Show Profile
Wow - I don't know how I missed this. That is a beautiful home! I love older homes like that. Reminds me of "My Ole KY Home" in Bardstown. I love reading and looking at the photos during the renovation. Better than an episode of "This ole house"!!

~Jessica in Kentucky & Miss Wilma's Niece~
Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow...
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  06:01:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Well, Jess, we signed a contract on a heating and air system yesterday. I feel excited and worried all at the same time. I had no idea how much this was going to cost. We've been working on the house and paying cash as we go so we don't owe anything on the house so far. And shortly after the furnace(s) are installed, we're going to have to put in insulation. The original plan was to do that ourselves, using the rolled 'pink stuff'. But the furnace folks are strongly recommending something called 'Icynene', that's blown in and costs about three times more than the other stuff. And it can't be done by us. I guess this is where we both get other jobs! LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  06:04:00 AM  Show Profile
Well there you go. Now you can actually live in flux at the farm and be warm/cool while you do it!!! Congratulatons--this will be such a nice thing for you both, Janice. Just one more HUGE step to your dream house!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2008 :  11:18:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Hi Janice!
I just saw this thread and am so impressed with all the work you've done. Do you by chance have any new pictures of where you're at now in the process? I'd especially love to see how the insides are coming along!

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk to blossom

Edited by - Linder on Feb 08 2008 11:31:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2008 :  06:58:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Hi, Linda! We are scheduled for the furnace and air work to start this Wednesday, the 13th. I don't know how long this will take, but I think it goes in stages. We have finished the plumbing and electric. So once the furnaces are installed, we have to do a ton of insulating. Then, we will be able to actually do drywall and flooring. I hope we can really make progess during the warm weather season this year. I'm sure I'll be boring everyone with pics of the poor workmen and the ductwork, etc. going in. LOL! I'm just SO READY to 'git r done'!

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2008 :  09:23:00 AM  Show Profile
Janice,
This must be so exciting and of course we want to see pictures. So next time you are out there take some now and then we can see the before and after. You can maybe not bother with the duckwork ones.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic farmhouse renovation/restoration-movin in pics Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page