Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Who's crocheting anything?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Who's crocheting anything? Next Topic
Page: of 3

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  11:18:40 AM  Show Profile
OH, and I forgot to mention... I'm a friend of LifeSmiles (one of the many Kathys here), and sometimes help with her crochet classes. She's the one that got me started in crochet, and WOW, has it snowballed since then! I've recently taught myself to knit, though I'm not very good yet. I also adore embroidery & cross-stitch, as well as verrrry basic sewing projects.

On a side note, last year I crocheted a beautiful Aran afghan for my mom for Christmas, and this September I'll enter it in the local county fair. This fair has been going on every year since 1887, and is one of the largest in the country. I just love looking at all the different entries in the home arts buildings! They always give me good ideas.
Go to Top of Page

Beckyanne
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Becky
Dove Creek Colorado
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  08:35:13 AM  Show Profile
I got the vintage apron bug while at the farm. I had 2 and picked up another at a yard sale. I have been crocheting for many years so coping the patterns was pretty easy. I tried writing it down as I went and realized why I don't like written patterns. It is really hard to write a pattern that anyone else will understand. I love the ones that are like a diagram. So far I have made 3 aprons. More to come.

Love and hugs
Becky

Its just not home without a line and a flock.
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  09:56:40 AM  Show Profile
Heather,
Which fair are you entering it in??

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  10:58:55 AM  Show Profile
I'm entering it in the Sandwich Fair, the granddaddy of all country fairs, lol! Call me a geek, but I'm really excited. Next year, I'd like to enter some canned goods & maybe an embroidery project too, but for this season, the afghan is all I have.
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  11:11:45 PM  Show Profile
Becky, do you crochet the whole apron, or just trim?
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Beckyanne
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Becky
Dove Creek Colorado
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  07:28:40 AM  Show Profile
sleepless reader, I do the whole apron, they were serving aprons. I have pictures

Love and hugs
Becky

Its just not home without a line and a flock.
Go to Top of Page

LifeSmiles
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Kathy
DeKalb IL
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  11:48:19 AM  Show Profile
Just wanted to share my excitement... a local vintage clothing/gift store is going to start selling some of my crochet designs. Woohoo! I can't wait to get home and start stitching.

I'm looking forward to being able to sell my own stuff and not having to go through the middle-man, but this is super exciting. Money is nice.

Cheers,
Kathy

i thank You God for most this amazing
day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky;and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes
-- e.e. cummings
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  11:55:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
Kathy, How wonderful!! I think I'm a pretty good crocheter (is that a word) but I just finished a project and I noticed something I did backwards. I was going to give it to my niece but I've decided to keep it for myself but it made me realize when I'm making something to be really used I'm not as good as when I'm making fancy doilies!!!

I hope you have many more successes with your art! And you are inspiring me to get even better at what I make!

Kathy in New York

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  2:30:53 PM  Show Profile
Awesome Kathy!! Which one so I can visit when I get back from Kansas

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

little feather
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Tawnya
Walnut Creek California
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  4:18:52 PM  Show Profile  Send little feather a Yahoo! Message
Hi Kathy!

Congrats on having your crochet designs being sold! That is awesome.
I tried to teach myself how to crochet- ha! ha! Now, that was funny. My Grandma taught me how to knit, the "Fern", way when I was little, so- now, that I'm trying to pick it up again, I find it to be a bit easier.
I've finished a hot pad so far and am working on a shawl.

But, I really want to crochet! It is so beautiful!

I sure wish I was close to you and could go to your classes! I need serious help- like someone sitting next to me and holding my hand. But, I won't give up!!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
Go to Top of Page

LifeSmiles
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Kathy
DeKalb IL
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  6:27:17 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for your support!
Kim, my stuff will be at Cracker Jax in DeKalb (probably not for another month though.. I still have to make enough scarves/etc)
Kathy in New York, I love making things that are practical (scarves, hats, bags, mittens). I haven't really tried making doilies, but some of the "fashion scarves" I'm coming up with are getting kind of close.
Tawnya, keep at it! If I can help you with book recommendations, let me know. Also check out http://www.crochetme.com (sorry for the cut-and-paste)--they have some realy hip fun designs.

Cheers to all!
Kathy

i thank You God for most this amazing
day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky;and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes
-- e.e. cummings
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  8:02:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the heads up on the crochetme.com web site. It's really fun.

Kathy in New York

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

little feather
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Tawnya
Walnut Creek California
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  8:40:12 PM  Show Profile  Send little feather a Yahoo! Message
Hi Kathy!

Thanks so much for the wonderful web link! Oh, I love the "Spike Stich", I've never seen that! I'll have a lot of fun scanning through that site!
Also- Thank you very much for your offer to recommend some books; I have "Crocheting School, A complete Course" and " I can't believe I taught myself to Crochet."
Is there one that might be easier to start with?

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  2:58:21 PM  Show Profile
I'm moving on to making doilies. I'm actually going to look for a pattern book here at the library when I get off the computer. I can do the stitches just fine, but understanding those directions...I think I need someone to take me by the hand and show me exactly what loop or space they're talking about!! I pull out more than I make, but I'm still plugging away.
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  8:19:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
Jan, There is a magazine. I believe it is called Decorative Crochet that has their patterns in symbols. I find them so much easier to follow then a written pattern. They have beautiful doilie patterns and each pattern is rated from easy to expert. One thing about doilies, at least the thread to make them isn't very expensive and they are easy to carry around with you. Good luck with your efforts. I love to crochet!! If nothing else it's a lot easier to pull out your mistakes then if you're knitting.

Kathy

Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  1:52:04 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, I'll try finding that magazine. I've seen those patterns in symbols, but that is really confusing to me. Maybe you have to be a more experienced crocheter to understand them. But I'm willing to try. I'll take out a book here at the library with symbols and try to work through it. I'll let you know how it goes.
Jan
Go to Top of Page

knittingmomma
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Tonya
Vermont
106 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  03:53:52 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much for the crochetme link. The fairy tale puppets are right up my ally:)

Simple Living, Homestead Dreaming Mom of 5
http://www.naturalearthfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

WisGal35
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Cathy
Kenosha County WI
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  3:12:43 PM  Show Profile
Do any of you ladies know how to crochet those wonderful bootie slippers? My DH simply loves them, and he's got a couple of worn-out pairs, matched and mismatched. I'm simply no good at crocheting, though I used to make a everyone banded potholders for x-mas, with the help of a plastic frame with teeth :)... Hoping to buy or swap for slippers for DH, myself & 3 1/2-yr-old from Santa ...

I've got a box of assorted yarns & needles, spools of rope for those macramae projects, about 150 various large ceramic beads, boxes and boxes of books (all types, I'm a bookworm) and a bunch of other inherited odds & ends I'd be willing to part with. Oh, and I'm a writer/editor if you need something written, proofed or set up in a simple format (business cards, brochures, flyers, etc.)
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  3:17:19 PM  Show Profile
Cathy in Kenosha County -- Hello from a flatlander! I'm in N suburbs of Ch'go. I'd suggest you post under the FarmGirls Barter section if you want to trade for those comfy slippers. . . . Good luck with your quest -- you'll probably need some warm covers for those cold tootsies this winter.
Go to Top of Page

WisGal35
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Cathy
Kenosha County WI
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  4:04:45 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for suggestion katie-ell -- I'm originally a flatlander too, grew up under roar of O'Hare. Those slippers are wonderful for drafty farmhouses and cold wood floors. Figured to start where the talk was on crocheting, then cross-post my buy/barter hopes, but my little boy decided he'd rather I do something else :)
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  4:11:32 PM  Show Profile
My mother used to knit those booties for us when we were kids...They were very warm! I'll ask her if she still knows how to do it...I'd like to learn!

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

WisGal35
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Cathy
Kenosha County WI
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  07:31:22 AM  Show Profile
Meadowlark, thanks!

In this case, I'd love to prove my DH wrong -- he's of the opinion that everyone who knew how to make these slippers has passed on to the big sewing circle in the sky :)
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  10:39:28 AM  Show Profile
my neighbor makes them (she is a very old ladyish 28 year old) I bet I could get her pattern if someone else dosn't find it. I made some years ago for my oldest kids. my grandma made them too. I knit more than crochet..but do know how and if I remember right, they wern't a hard thing to crochet.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

countrymamma
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Rural Manitoba
Canada
78 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  1:33:12 PM  Show Profile
I'm still working on my afghan. Hoping to have it done in about a month's time.

I found this website (in my bookmarks) for anyone interested in crochet lessons. There is lots here. http://www.obgidge.com/gg09.html

~Carol
Go to Top of Page

WisGal35
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Cathy
Kenosha County WI
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  2:24:17 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Aunt Jenny :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Who's crocheting anything? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page