Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Who's crocheting anything?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Who's crocheting anything? Next Topic
Page: of 3

countrymamma
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Rural Manitoba
Canada
78 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2005 :  6:48:02 PM  Show Profile
I'm working on an afghan right now. I've been working on it for awhile because I'm new to crocheting and quilting also comes first. I'm hoping to get it done by Christmas.

~Carol

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2005 :  7:05:00 PM  Show Profile
Hi Carol! I just finished an afghan and I'm taking a stab at pot-holders now . I'm also fairly new to crocheting!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2005 :  9:50:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I finished an afgan that is about King sized. I worked on it when I worked at a dial center here in town and I did not realize how big it got until my "Craft Bag" could not hold it any more and I had spend overf $100 in yarn! LOL I need to mail it to a friend since it is supposed to be her wedding present!

LOL

Ciao

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Victorielynn
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Vicki
Arizona
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2005 :  09:17:10 AM  Show Profile
I am working on a baby afghan (I do them and donate them to our churche's thrift store). I also am working on a twin size afghan. I love to crochet while I am watching tv, so I get about three or four done a year. I find it to be relaxing.

Vicki
Go to Top of Page

LifeSmiles
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Kathy
DeKalb IL
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2005 :  10:06:28 AM  Show Profile
I just finished teaching a series of crochet classes, and now get to work on my own projects again! I'm working on a sun hat for a friend, a cotton shopping/work bag for myself, a baby afghan for a cousin, and an afghan for myself. I like to have a good rotation--keeps me interested!

Right now it's so hot that I don't want to work on anything but the cotton hat & bag.

Vicki, I like to crochet while listening to books on tape or while watching a DVD with commentary, or a PBS documentary... get two things done at once!

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Victorielynn
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Vicki
Arizona
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2005 :  2:15:41 PM  Show Profile
My husband can't understand how I can crochet and watch tv. I told him that I really don't watch tv, just listen and look up every once in a while. Although my kids complain that I take up most of the couch with my projects.

I like to work on more than one thing to keep it interesting too. I find that rotating the projects makes me not get bored and just quit in mid afghan.

My younger sister taught me to crochet about 13 years ago. She was much better than I will ever be. She made my oldest daughter a crocheted dress when she was a baby. My daughter has it for her daughter now. My sister could crochet, knit and tat. She tried to teach me to knit and tat, but alas, I always got the yard or thread too tight.

Nice to find others that crochet.

Vicki
Go to Top of Page

pennyfour
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

USA
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2005 :  3:29:26 PM  Show Profile
I crochet while watching TV too. We don't get stations where we are unless you get satellite so we decided not to subscribe. We get movies from Netflix and don't miss TV coverage. After the chores and all it's nice to wind down with a movie. I keep several projects going since I taught myself this year. I keep trying new things for the challenge to see if I can do them. I just tried making a section for a tablecloth in the pineapple stitch. I taught my daughter what little I knew and she went to town with it herself. She has a much prettier stitch than mine though and I enjoy seeing what she is working on. She just made another baby afghan as a gift. I am very proud of her. I think after working all day she finds it mindless and relaxing to work on her crochet and it's something we do when together. I just made a bookmark for a sick friend the other night and have been making dishcloths lately because looking at the yarn in this hot weather is not very appealing! Glad to know there are fellow crocheters out there.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2005 :  6:16:54 PM  Show Profile
I will someday finish my granny square afghan. I have finished all the squares and I am doing the attaching them together now..not my favorite part..but so close to being done. It will be about twin size...it has been in a basket for awhile while I ignore it to work on other projects..it dosn't have the traditional black between the colorful squares, but a nice adobe tan color instead...I have about half of it together and I really like it. I guess it is more of a winter or at least autumn project for me though..too big and hot for my lap right now!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2005 :  8:01:21 PM  Show Profile
I just got my Mary Jane's book and LOVE it. I've never been much of a crocheter, but thought I'd try the potholder in the book. I'm not quite getting it yet, but MAYBE someone can help....The pattern says to ch 20 and when you work the first row you are supposed to end up with 20 sts. How can that be when you start your first stitch in the second st from the hook???

Jana
Go to Top of Page

countrymamma
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Rural Manitoba
Canada
78 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  07:15:43 AM  Show Profile
Jana I can't help you there. However, the book I taught myself on is I Can't Believe I'm Crocheting. Its small but has all the stitches in both left and right hand. Very easy to understand as well.

~Carol
Go to Top of Page

Anna
MaryJane's Farmgirl

27 Posts

Pullman WA
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  09:36:16 AM  Show Profile
Jana,
Hi, this is Anna, the seamstress out here at MaryJanesFarm. Thanks for pointing out the mistake in the dishcloth pattern! To answer your question, you're right, you can't have 20 sc if you skip the first chain (and you only chain 20.) To remedy, simply chain one more on your foundation chain or stick with 19 sc, it won't make a big difference in the long run.
I figured I'd put in my two cents worth about books while I'm here...I taught myself to crochet from Simple Crochet by Erika Knight. The pictures are really clear and were easy to understand for me. I also couldn't live without The Ultimate Sourcebook of Knitting and Crochet Stitches from Reader's Digest. I'm really wearing out MaryJane's copy!
Well, I'd better get to work. Have a good day and don't hesitate to email me (anna@maryjanesfarm.org) or post here if anyone else has any sewing, knitting, or crochet questions that I' might be able to help with!
Anna
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  3:13:27 PM  Show Profile
I'm crocheting a bedspread and have been for about 15 years. My DD told me I won't get it finished until I's about 80. I think that's fine. Maybe I should be more diligent about it and I could possibly finish it by the time I'm 70. That gives me 18 more years.

Marcia(the queen of UFO's)

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  4:31:33 PM  Show Profile
Kathy,
I live in Hinckley! Where in DeKalb are you?

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2005 :  10:58:28 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the response re: the dishcloth. I made 2 and love them. I think I MIGHT like this better than knitting. tee-hee

Jana
Go to Top of Page

LifeSmiles
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Kathy
DeKalb IL
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  11:36:50 AM  Show Profile
Kim, I work at the public Library in DeKalb. That's pretty much where I spend most of my time! Do you crochet? Good to hear from you!

Kathy

i thank You God for most this amazing
day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky;and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes
-- e.e. cummings
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  4:23:12 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, I just learned last fall. I'd be interested in classes. I also formed a farmgirl chapter, would you like to join?

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Lena@HickoryGroveFarm
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Marlena
Brunson SC
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  09:51:47 AM  Show Profile
I love to crochet, and do it all the time. One little problem: all I know how to make is potholders. So I make long ones that become scarves, and biiiiig ones that become throws. And I never, ever, count. I think this is why I've stuck to the potholder thing. It helps me relax, and I have lots of potholders!
Lena

Budding Farm Girl and Eccentric Artist
see www.marlenam.com
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  12:16:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
Lena, If you want some help stitching "outside" the potholder, I'm sure you could find lots of help around here. Once you know how to do a single crochet and double or triple isn't that different. I guess this means I'm volunteering. Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  12:27:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
I've been wanting since last fall to make something out of cotton yarn and I've had a hard time finding patterns. Once I saw the dishcloth in MaryJane's book, I decided that I would knit some dishclothes. I was taught to knit as a child and always hated it!!! But a wise knitter finally said "if you drop a stitch don't panic, just pick it up." Just that little bit of advice and I'm knitting again. So knitted a dishcloth and now I'm crocheting the market bag that's on the back of the yarn label or can be found on the yarn web site. I also found a poncho pattern in plus sizes that I think will be my next crochet project. Nothing looks sillier then a skimpy poncho!! Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Lena@HickoryGroveFarm
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Marlena
Brunson SC
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2005 :  05:24:38 AM  Show Profile
Ok, Kathy, where do I start? I guess I've always stuck with the potholder because I kind of like a "freeform" kind of thing. That and I lack patience for disciphering those complicated stitches you see in books. I take one look, and think, "potholders are pretty good..." Grin.

Thanks for your offer, Kathy! I'll try something new if you have the patience to show me...

BTW, is anyone interested in felting? I have been really inspired lately by things I've seen on HGTV (love the ability to record shows to watch on my own schedule!).

Budding Farm Girl and member of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Art

see www.marlenam.com
Go to Top of Page

Victorielynn
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Vicki
Arizona
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2005 :  11:43:10 AM  Show Profile
Lena - I know how you feel. All I can make are afghans. And very simple ones. I don't do complicated stitches, partly because I am left handed and all the books for lefthanded people are so very confusing, and partly because I like simple things.

I did learn to cross stitch on the afghans, so at least I can put a design on them if I want to. And everyone I know asks me to make them an afghan! So that keeps me pretty busy. But I find it relaxing and fun to do.

Vicki
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2005 :  12:32:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
I adore doing lacy thread crochet. There is a magazine that does their patterns in charts rather than typed out. I find them so much easier to follow. They also rate their patterns from easy to top expert and I have to admit that I love challenging myself with the more difficult patterns. However there is just so many of these that you can make. I wonder now if I could continue making my fancies and sell or barter them here or perhaps on ebay? I feel silly making these things that I have absolutely no use for.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

PhillyfarmGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Yael
Philadelphia PA
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  7:28:38 PM  Show Profile  Send PhillyfarmGirl an AOL message
Hi there, I am working on a mile-a-minute afghan for my son. Hoping to get it done soon, but I do not crochet so much in the summer, so it has been a little slow moving.
Blessings,

Philly Farmgirl

~It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion;
It is easy in solitude to live after our own;
but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd
keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude.~
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://homeschoolblogger.com/PhillyFarmGirl/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  11:36:58 PM  Show Profile
when I was in high school I used to crochet doilies and things for my family members for gifts..things like little filet crochet bread doilies and the family name in crochet ..things like that as well as regular doilies and the antimasscassars like in MJ's book...they all thought I was nuts I am sure..like my family (more hee haw than not) had little silver bread trays to put those little doilies on..haha..but I loved it and they pretended to be happy with them.
I have a really neat big (probably about 18 by 24") filet crochet picture of two horse heads that my grandma made when she was young. It is dated 1948...crocheted into it..and is framed. It always hung in the hall of my grandma's house and I always loved it. It was another of the things she gave me not long before she died in 1992. It hangs in my bedroom now.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  11:45:36 PM  Show Profile
I found a neat book at the library of Mary Engelbreit crochet patterns. It's called Crochet the Classics. There are some very cute trims for dish towels that I am working on now. It is just too hot to work on anything of size or too "woolish". These trins use crochet thread. Years ago a friend gave me a pattern for something called a Contrary Purse. It was a tiny coin purse you put on your finger. They had made them at her (LDS) Homemaking. Would any of you have such a pattern by chance? I have a half-finished purse and lost instructions!
thanks,
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  11:14:16 AM  Show Profile
I'm currently finishing a Homespun afghan for my youngest son. It's very simple, just a half-double over & over, but it's fluffy & cushy & perfect for little boys to snuggle under on the couch. :) When I'm done with that, I'll knit a little afghan/cushion thingy for my cat (I got the pattern off the lionbrandyarn.com website). I also recently made a couple catnip mice that she just went bonkers over. :D
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Who's crocheting anything? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page