FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  12:42:50 PM  Show Profile
Just wondering what you all put on your peach trees to keep the bugs from getting them. My husband has been spraying them with neem oil & I am not sure if that is working as we now have an even bigger problem with the birds. I didnt think they were ripe enough to eat yet, but the birds have started pecking several so apparantly they think so. One was right down to the pit. I have been told to get a fake owl to scare them away, but the store was out of them. I would like to be able to eat some since we have so many this year. I only have one dwarf tree & also a nectarine tree.

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  09:05:45 AM  Show Profile
We've always used bird netting for our dwarf peaches. Not the most effective way of keeping birds away, because they sit outside the netting and pick at the peaches within their reach. They also have a talent of finding the smallest opening to slip into.

Last year we planted a dwarf peach in a pot and this spring had a handful of fruit. I took some 1/2x1/2 inch aviary wire we found by the trash dumpster at my mom-in-law's place and made a huge tube around the tree and pot with another piece of wire for the top. Voila! No birds!

You might be able to rig up something by sinking 2x2 posts into the ground around the tree (and taller than the tree) then drape with bird netting. Use twist ties or string to fasten to the posts, and leave a closable flap that you can open to access the tree for harvesting.

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  10:37:48 AM  Show Profile
thanks Maria... I will have to print this out & get to it. So many peaches have been destroyed besides what they are knocking off. I think I will only get to have a few nectarines as that tree is too tall. The butterflies are getting on the open fruit on those so everything is eating them but us. THey are still to hard. I havent caught them in the act yet, but I know it's birds. I love them, but would love to have some peaches too. May be the only thing i get to eat out of my garden this year the way we are going!

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic peaches Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page