Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Had my first potatoes from the garden..mmmm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Had my first potatoes from the garden..mmmm Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2007 :  07:05:24 AM  Show Profile
Dug up some red pontiac, yukon gold and kennebunk and had them chopped and fried with a little butter and sliced vidalia onion.

My my, I'll never eat another store bought potato again! So creamy and absolutely blissful!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

BackyardTreasures
True Blue Farmgirl

189 Posts

Anne
Connecticut
USA
189 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2007 :  07:30:08 AM  Show Profile
Lucky you!! All my potatoes haven't even been planted yet. :-) It's raining here today, so I guess they won't get planted today either.

~~Anne

www.homesteadblogger.com/BackyardTreasures
Go to Top of Page

Daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Daisy
Thistle Sprig Farm NW Indiana
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2007 :  2:36:52 PM  Show Profile
What! You already have potatoes??? I just got mine in the ground today! Crazy weather, crazy schedule etc. but at least they are in the ground finally! We grew some great potatoes last year so we are really looking forward to harvest time this year!

Daisy

Thistle Sprig Farm
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2007 :  4:01:53 PM  Show Profile
I havent gotten mine in the gound yet....

But it is true, once you have eaten a homegrown organic non genetically altered potato... there is no going back.

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com www.Botanical-Bath.com www.BotanicalBath.etsy.com http://botanicalbath.blogspot.com/

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2007 :  7:06:21 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I'm jealous. There is nothing like fresh potatoes! Yummy!

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2007 :  11:14:13 PM  Show Profile
Oh my is my mouth watering. That sounds so very good.
Carol Sue

Life is short, enjoy every moment.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2007 :  11:18:18 PM  Show Profile
Yep! We did have a weird spell here, kind of a "warming trend" and I think it boosted their flowering a few weeks early. I planted them around St. Patricks day, which was when my aunt said my Great Grandfather planted his potatoes, just a few miles north of us.

But yes! Potatoes--three kinds: kennebunk, red pontiac, yukon gold (because that's all they had at the feed store, and my raised bed is a first time experience)...but W-O-W, I won't touch another store bought tater.

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4185 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4185 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2007 :  02:52:10 AM  Show Profile
A fresh potatoe it ranks right up there with......line dried sheets!! Nothing better. Michele
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2007 :  1:53:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Yum! I keep hearing how wonderful all this fresh garden food is! I can't wait to get some more things from my garden when I get home!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  06:06:33 AM  Show Profile
It's been really wonderful! I can't stop myself from going out there--it's like digging for buried treasure or something! Last night, I brought in an apron full, and then went out for some more...took those over to my mother.

I'll have to stay out for the next few days...don't want to get potatoed out!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  10:15:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Baked Potatoes, Mashed potatoes, scalloped potatoes, fries, Jo-Jos...mmmm yummy yummy yummy...

Alee
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  10:15:44 AM  Show Profile
Alright, Alee, you got me...what is a Jo Jo?

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  10:28:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jo-Jo's are when you cut the potatoes into the really thick fries and then broil them with some seasoning on them. That is what we call them in my house, some people call them Farm Fries or some similar name. You can brush them will olive oil or butter so the outside fries but the inside is like a baked potato. Yum! I might have to make some for lunch. I am making Thai Fusion for my parents for lunch but maybe we should have some Jo-Jos on the side!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

AliShuShu
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Alison
Charlotte NC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  1:53:55 PM  Show Profile  Send AliShuShu an AOL message  Send AliShuShu a Yahoo! Message
this may sound like a silly question for the more seasoned farmgirls... but tell me about planting & harvesting potatoes... is it really as easy as it sounds? where do you get your "seeds"? how deep to plant? what season? is it too late? how do you know when they're ready? we're in a CSA with our local organic farm and we got some potatoes last week... we fried them up with vidalias and a little oil and i've never tasted anything so good before!!! AMAZING! i want to plant some of our own... do sweet potatoes work the same way?
thanks!

Alison
I think that if ever a mortal heard the voice of God it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. ~F. Frankfort Moore, A Garden of Peace
Namaste'
www.shumusings.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  05:48:57 AM  Show Profile
I got mine at our local feed supply store. They'll be labelled "seed" potatoes, and should have a several eyes sprouting on them. I purchased Kennebunk, Red Pontiac and Yukon Gold. Since it's just the two of us, I purchased 1-2 of each type, then as advised, I cut a section, eyes up, and planted each section. Just from two plants, I've gotten about 16 large potatoes, and there are plenty more coming! The plants themselves grow tall (all the while, you can "hill them" with soil, and they flower. About 2 weeks after flowering, you can start digging potatoes--these will be "new potatoes", essentially. Make sure not to damage the other tubers, and you can dig potatoes all summer long. I go out just about every night and get some, and there are more where I just pulled some! Like I said, it's like buried treasure! I also understand that when the foilage dies down, is when you can really pull all of them for storage.

They are a cool weather crop, but, I would wager, if you call your extension service, you may very well be able to plant in your area at the end of summer for winter storage.

I'm going to end up doing the same thing--they really don't take very long, that's for sure, and the only thing I worried about was nemotodes, but I planted french marigolds around the potato plants and no yucky critters yet!

Anyone else???

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Had my first potatoes from the garden..mmmm Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page