Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Have you ever seen a goat "faint"?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Have you ever seen a goat "faint"? Next Topic  

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  04:27:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
Hi gals. Well, this weekend we had to take the required photos to register our baby goats. Unfortunately we were required to catch each of them in the fainting position and then snap the picture....the results are posted on my BeeHaven Acres farm blog....take a look!

Keep Smiling.....Bev
Check out my shoppe at www.honeybeez.etsy.com
www.beehavenacres.blogspot.com , www.beehavenmaven.blogspot.com

Edited by - Bee Haven Maven on Jun 11 2007 04:29:17 AM

Sweet Harvest Homestead
True Blue Farmgirl

279 Posts

Lindy
Stanfield NC
USA
279 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  04:32:37 AM  Show Profile
Beverly,
I know I am terrible. I saw those pictures and was shocked silly! I couldn't stop laughing. What is wrong with me? Ha ha!
Are they Tennessee Fainting Goats? Thanks for sharing.
Lindy

www.sweetharvesthomestead.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  04:47:48 AM  Show Profile
What a great blog! I am hopeful that when we get our place up and running, that we will have as productive a farm as yours. I'm sorry to hear about the chickens - did you ever catch that pesky fox? And will you sell your blueberries or is all 100 plants for your home use? (maybe you just really like blueberries, or maybe you make blueberry snapps...)

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  05:21:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
I think when the blueberries start to produce at their full potential, we will open a "Pick your Own". Also....we will use and freeze a lot. Blueberries are one of those superfoods you can never have too much of....especially when they are organic as ours are.

No, the fox is still at large....as well as 2 of her kits....also a black bear has been a frequent visitor.

And yes, they are Tennessee Fainting Goats....and I LOVE them!!

Keep Smiling.....Bev
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  06:57:22 AM  Show Profile
Beverly -

You have a wonderful site and a great farm. I know it was probably hard to have to intentially scare your goats, but I do have to say I had to chuckle at the pictures. Your goats are so cute. I wish I had the property to have goats - especially minatures. There is a park near work that I got to often for lunch and there is an adjoining farm to it - they have minature goats and they are so much fun to watch.

Thanks again for sharing.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  07:23:42 AM  Show Profile
Beverly, Your blog is interesting and I really like that log cabin. The fainting goats are funny...I know this might sound like a silly question, but why do they do that? Is that supposed to be their defense? It seems to me that they would be easier prey that way. ??? BTW, you look great...pretty picture.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  07:46:50 AM  Show Profile
I have seen it before..weird, huh? Cute goats..and I loved your blog too!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  07:48:39 AM  Show Profile
I am a little confused so please excuse my ignorance. If you do not want to make the goats "faint" then what is the purpose of owning fainting goats? They look just like other types of goats. Also is this a natural condition or something that was created through cross breeding or is it a health issue? I thought the pictures of the goats running around were really cute! Thanks ahead of time for answering my questions.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  10:57:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
Ok gals, a little more about the "fainting" goats. Originally, they were bred to be the sacrificial lamb for herds of livestock. I would imagine that it stemmed from some innate neurologic phenomenon to a few goats, and after breeding for that particular characteristic, they came up with a new breed of goat. Personally, I could never use them for that purpose. The advantage of fainters is that they are still a fairly small breed of goat but do not have the birthing problems that pigmies have. They seem to be a fairly popular breed, especially with "hobby" farms....and the babies are ADORABLE!! So, that is why we chose to breed this type. And....I believe that there are not a whole lot of them, which makes them even more attractive. After spending hours just sitting amongst them I have come to see that they are a gentle, curious and very social animal. There is a certain pecking order amongst them and they seem to bond well to humans. They "talk" to us and seem to want us to spend time with them. Well, I am a softy and needless to say am "hooked".

Keep Smiling.....Bev
Go to Top of Page

horse
True Blue Farmgirl

371 Posts

laura
pontotoc mississippi
USA
371 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  11:29:01 AM  Show Profile
they are cute. I use to have a "fainting" goat when I was at home. His name was smackie. Loved the photos of your place.
Laura
www.2lmzfarms.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Have you ever seen a goat "faint"? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page