Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chicks grow so quickly! Next Topic  

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  09:29:12 AM  Show Profile
I have a new photo of our four chicks on my blog. Actually they're pullets now. It's hard to believe that only a couple months ago they were little fluffballs! Hopefully in a few months we'll start seeing eggs

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  09:40:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow! They really do grow fast! I bet you will be seeing eggs before you realize it!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Mag
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

Margaret
Mount Vernon OH
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  5:48:11 PM  Show Profile
Just like my children my peeps grow up too fast! I love when they are all full of down and "peep" all day! Are your "Jersey girls" Jersey giants? I just bought 2 from a hatchery and am looking forward to seeing how big they are. Have you raised that breed before? Great blog by the way.

take care,
mag
Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2007 :  09:21:47 AM  Show Profile
Alee, I can't wait! Tammy is a good layer, giving us an egg every other day throughout the summer. We eat lots of store-bought eggs in the winter when she's not laying, but as soon as we get those lovely homegrown eggs I stop buying and our egg consumption goes way down to match Tammy's production. My mother loves the eggs too, so we'll be at a rather critical egg shortage until the young 'uns start.

Mag, they are indeed Jersey Giants; at least that's what the manager at the feedstore told me when I bought them. When we went back the following week to pick up a couple more, the clerk said they only had Australorps and Barred Rocks, and never DID have Jerseys. That's how we ended up with the Rocks.

However, I think the photo shows the Jersey girls are significantly larger than the Rocks, and they are actually almost as tall as Tammy. They have yellow foot soles and white tips on some wing feathers, which I've read are indications they are Jerseys and not Australorps.

This is our first time raising Jerseys (we're actually quite novice to chicken raising, having only raised 9 including this batch.) I've observed a few things about the Jerseys that are quite different from the Rocks. The Jerseys seem much more into grazing, and don't go for bugs as much as the Rocks. They are also very bold, quite willing to jump on our laps when we sit outside if they think we've got food. This familiarity has a downside; they also have no fear of pecking at us if they see something that looks interesting. I have a small scab on the top of my foot from when one decided a mosquito bite looked like a tasty morsel, and those big beaks are STRONG!!! I now sit on the lawn chair with my legs folded under to keep them away from curious Jersey beaks.

Go to Top of Page

DeeDee
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Denise
Wyoming
162 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2007 :  11:33:31 AM  Show Profile
I too am waiting on new chickens to start laying for us. I bought 4 Aracuana chicks middle March so we should be seeing eggs from them in 3 or 4 weeks I hope.
Go to Top of Page

Mag
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

Margaret
Mount Vernon OH
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2007 :  1:12:48 PM  Show Profile
Oh Maria the Jerseys sound wonderful! And thanks for the tip I will be sure to watch out for the strong beaks. My poor husband got in between one of our small mama chickens and her peeps, and he has the scars to prove it!

I hope you enjoy your chickens. I really do enjoy watching their antics and you just cannot beat the taste of those fresh eggs.

cheers,
mag
Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  06:49:19 AM  Show Profile
The funniest thing happened yesterday...

Hubby and I were sitting in the back with the chickens. Hubby had a bottle of water in one hand, the cap in the other. He had the cap-holding hand dangling down, when suddenly one of the Jersey girls snatched it from his fingers and ran off, the other three in hot pursuit. It changed beaks a couple times before one of the Rocks captured the prize and carried it under an orange tree to enjoy it in peace. She was quite disappointed that it wasn't edible, and left it for Hubby to retrieve.

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chicks grow so quickly! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page