True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  5:38:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ladies

I recently have been visiting the Fly Lady's website a lot. I was just wondering if anyone else uses her routines and tips to get their chorse done everyday?

http://flylady.net

Alee

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  7:28:53 PM  Show Profile
I try...lately I havn't been following it..but it helps when I do..I love her ideas and they work!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  7:40:38 PM  Show Profile
I love this website and did learn a great many tips when I looked months ago. I think I need to do the weekly thing again. Most times it is only 15 minutes a day and things really do look better and get done without being a drag.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  8:17:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I find it hard to get up and get dressed to the shoes! I love staying in my comfy clothes- but some how I don't think FlyLady would approve of yoga pants as a "dressed" option! LOL

Alee
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  8:33:40 PM  Show Profile
I tried it but was bombarded with junk mail after signing up on the site so I withdrew my "membership" I do make my sink smile every once in a while though.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  12:17:52 AM  Show Profile
I never got past cleaning the sink... Well I put the laundry away on day 2 a few times.

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com
www.Botanical-Bath.com
BotanicalBath.etsy.com
http://botanicalbath.blogspot.com/

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  08:31:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well my new morning routine is started. Once I get Nora re-settled I take my shower and wipe down the bathroom while I am in there. I usually have already started a load of laundry at this point. Then I head to the kitchen to get it wiped down and the dishes done. Maybe today I can get vacuuming done as well but I have a bajillion loads of laundry to do! :)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  10:35:02 AM  Show Profile
I have HUGH problems with Running the laundry everyday! It seems SOOO wasteful. But then again I don't have a newborn infant (or any kids)! I may think differently in that case! :)

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  11:05:04 AM  Show Profile
I'm a FlyBaby. I have been pretty diligent about my shiny sink at night. I also try to keep things stocked up for my family--toilet paper, kleenex, favorite snacks, things of that nature so that we are not in feast or famine mode like I used to do in the past.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·. http://boinglink.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  11:11:35 AM  Show Profile
I also make my bed and get dressed every day. I am really much better about not procrastinating as much about things.
I empty the dishwasher right away instead of leaving it and pulling out clean dishes as needed. That way I never put dirty dishes in the sink, they go straight to the dishwasher.

Edited by - _Rebecca_ on Jun 08 2007 11:18:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  11:15:06 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Alee

I find it hard to get up and get dressed to the shoes! I love staying in my comfy clothes- but some how I don't think FlyLady would approve of yoga pants as a "dressed" option! LOL

Alee

You can incorporate the yoga pants into your day. I think the main reason for getting dressed is so that your mindset is in the right gear. Context is so important for the mind. So, just plan a time in your day when you treat yourself to wearing the yoga pants, but put on actual clothes for other parts of your day when you need to be in a work mindset.

I wear lots of short pants or capris or gauchos. They are nice to wear around the house, comfortable, but I can wear them out too. I can just switch tops and put something dressier on if needed.

I really try to look presentable. It gives me more energy.

Edited by - _Rebecca_ on Jun 08 2007 11:16:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  2:53:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Rebecca-

Thats a good idea. Today I knew I had to be comfy to get all that I need to get done- done. So I am in my yoga pants today. I really need to lose about 2-5lbs for my jeans to feel really comfy again. But I guess that is what giving birth can do to you!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  4:25:34 PM  Show Profile
Well, giving birth to your first does that. And then by your fourth you just decide to buy a larger size!! *grin* for me at least

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  4:42:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
lol! I am really hoping to lose weight as I would like to be slimmer for my wedding in September.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2007 :  09:02:14 AM  Show Profile
I tried Flylady, but it didn't last long. I'm dreadfully disorganized...

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2007 :  11:26:54 AM  Show Profile
I go back and forth to the flylady site every couple of years. I've never followed the plan strictly- but the parts I learn are always useful. That 15 minute cleaning thing works well for me- I tend to wander around and never complete any project, and the timer helps me focus on that.

I went back to the site today and noticed lots of new things... I can't wait for more time to check them out.

Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2007 :  1:39:22 PM  Show Profile
Since FlyLady gets a little overboard with her e-mails and there is so much to wade through, I have switched to The Organizer Lady. Her e-mails have very brief testimonials. You get about 1 per day. It's Sandra Felton author of The Messies Manual (I signed up for the e-mails and found her book at a neighbor's garage sale all in one month. Kind of weird, huh?). www.messies.com
She says the same spiel, it's just more streamlined. I do like FlyLady's stuff, I just need stuff that's more to the point. FlyLady will admit it herself, she isn't about the organizing, she is about being free from chaos and clutter.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2007 :  1:46:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the link, Rebecca! I will check out her page too!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2007 :  6:55:16 PM  Show Profile
I've tried this but it just seems too overwhelming to me. All those emails just drove me nuts! The one thing that I did take away from it was to keep my sink shining every day. Sandra Felton has been on Focus On The Family many times. I always enjoy listening to her. Thanks for the link.

Visit my Etsy shop at http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

Edited by - therusticcottage on Jun 10 2007 6:58:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  9:17:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I personally don't get the emails. Instead I just read the site to see what my assignment is for the day/week.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  05:30:10 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday I bought a cheap utensil organizer and put it in our one and only bathroom drawer in the master bathroom. It will contain the dental floss, combs, toothpaste & extra toothbrushes. This was an idea that my mother-in-law's cleaning person had.

And I also bought a couple of cute plastic organizer totes that are mini-sized for the brushes, hair things, deodorants, etc. for under the sink. I found them at Target.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  08:33:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Rebecca-

What a great idea! I hadn't thought of using a utensil tray! If I had drawers in my bathroom I would use that idea. Our dollar store has some of those great organizational baskets. I have a really cute box that I keep most of my makeup and hair stuff in. And since it is pretty on the outside- It just sits on the countertop. I just have to make sure I put everthing back in it's place and close the lid of the box when I am done or else it doesn't look so nice!
Alee

Edited by - Alee on Jun 12 2007 08:34:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  08:45:01 AM  Show Profile
Yes! Fly Lady works! Love her system! It's amazing what you can do in 15 minutes and in a zone! I feel VERY organized and have been successful with it! I made a notebook and printed it all out. Give her a try and you will fly!!!! heehee!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2007 :  12:52:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Since I have been on vacation, I haven't been reading her site, but I did vacuum my mom's house today to be helpful!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2007 :  4:48:32 PM  Show Profile
I've tried Sidetracked Home Executives, FlyLady, Messies Anonymous, and OrganizedHome.com
I have read a bazillion books on organization and cleaning....
I have gained a lot of insight from all of them, but my favorite today is OrganizedHome.com. I have the book Cythia Townley Ewer (editor of that site) wrote and I like it a lot.
AND I can finally say that I am on my way to an organized....well, okay, maybe not that organized yet, but...a cleaner home...like it's fairly clean on a daily basis...and I am actually doing something every day to clean it...
BUT I will also say that this progress has far more to do with getting off my butt and doing it and having the desire to get it done (even though I still don't like doing it) than it does with finding a 'magic schedule' that made me all of a sudden WANT to do it.

I know none of you are saying that's the case, I just think that often I felt that if I read the right book or heard the right process/schedule that one day I'd just wake up and act like a Born-Organized person for the rest of my life... yes, I'm silly... and it took many years of trying and failing and trying again before I found the motivating factor to get the jobs done.
I am still so far from where I want to be, but there are changes happening around here.
The other day, my husband even (without me asking) did some laundry without griping about it! This is a BIG deal!
Any of you who are still trying and still not where you want to be: Don't give up hope!
You can do it! I have faith in that!

Hugs to all SHEs, Messies, FlyBabies, and the rest who fight this battle.

Faith

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2007 :  6:46:42 PM  Show Profile
I had looked at that, about 3 years ago. I think I printed out some of the stuff, but I never went any farther with it. What about OH.com did you like?

If my husband did laundry I think I'd fall over in a dead faint! Congratulations! Make sure you praise him highly for doing that!!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Who FLYs? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page