Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Exchange son goodbyes Next Topic  

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  07:18:37 AM  Show Profile
Ok, I know there are other farmgals who have hosted an exchange student. We're ending the school year, and it has been such a learning experience. I got all choked up at the H.S. awards ceremony, I was so proud of the awards our DES (dear exchange son) won, it hit me hardest then that he will be leaving soon. There's knowing it, and then there's knowing it in your heart. I'm getting weepy again. He leaves the 23rd. So soon. So far away. So, how do you cope? Any advice on how to help our 6yr old DD when it sinks in with her?

We make a difference.

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  09:35:21 AM  Show Profile
A couple of ideas that might help...

Have you been taking pictures of him throughout his visit? Perhaps making a scrapbook of his stay with you might be fun and you can send it with him if he wants it or keep it for your family (or make two - one for each of you)!

Make up a set of prepared (preadddressed and stamped) stationery or postcards with your DD so that she can write to him after he leaves. This might give her a sense of security (or continuity) that the relationship will still continue after he leaves...

Take a picture of the two of them - DES and DD - together and frame it for your daughter. Maybe if you could find one of those "talking" frames from Hallmark, you could have DES leave a short message for your daughter to play after he leaves.

Also a map (hung on the wall like a poster) with his hometown marked would be fun. Add various pictures of him around the edge of the map... Might be neat done on a corkboard/bulletin board so that she can hang his letters or postcards there too...

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Edited by - Bluewrenn on Jun 05 2007 09:37:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  3:49:50 PM  Show Profile
Oh, great ideas! That will help fill the time between the end of school and departure in positive ways too. Thanks so very, very much. They have really been enjoying art together, and this is right up their alley. :)

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Exchange son goodbyes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page