Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Could really use some prayers for teenager. Update
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Could really use some prayers for teenager. Update Next Topic
Page: of 2

simpler1773
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Ricki
Ashland Wisconsin
USA
234 Posts

Posted - May 23 2007 :  7:45:47 PM  Show Profile  Send simpler1773 a Yahoo! Message
If those of you who pray wouldn't mind, I could use as much as possible for my 14 year old daughter.

She was brought home from school by the principal and counselor yesterday, she has been cutting herself in school and cut herself so deep that she needed stitches

We've checked her into a behavior health facility (she wanted to go, didn't feel she could control herself), and today she met with a psychiatrist. They diagnosed her with severe depression and possibly some post traumatic stress induced paranoia from something that happened years ago

I have just been sick all day and not knowing how to deal with this other than the fact that I know she's getting the help she needs now. I'm so confused because I feel like we have such a normal life and she has so many people who love her and support her, but something is just really wrong in her mind.

This is so hard, I'd just really appreciate prayers and love and good thoughts...thanks ladies. And keep an eye on those teens. My daughter and I are so close and yet she was able to hide this from me for 2 yrs. I so don't get it.

~Ricki~
You can't pour anything out of an empty vessel, take care of yourself!

Edited by - simpler1773 on May 24 2007 8:08:00 PM

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 23 2007 :  10:34:52 PM  Show Profile
Ricki - My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family. I really do know what you are going through. We had some similar issues with one of our children. The important thing is that she is getting the help she needs and the really encouraging thing I saw in your post is that she wanted to go, so she is not in denial. I know it probably doesn't help now, I know when I was going through our tough times it didn't mean much when people said it to me, but this too will pass. I too thought I was really close with my son, and I was very shocked to learn I didn't really know what was going on in his life. It sounds like your daughter is on the road to recovery now, so you can take comfort in that. Hang in there.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - May 23 2007 :  10:39:36 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Rikki,
I'm so sorry, but like Sherri said, she is getting help. It is almost like she was hoping someone would find her and help her get the help. So many teens are depressed and act out in different ways: cutting, anorexia, drugs, running around. I know your heart must be breaking. Hang in there. You and your daughter are in my thoughts and prayers.

G

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
http://auntgeorge.etsy.com

Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - May 23 2007 :  11:09:12 PM  Show Profile
Rikki -- I am so sorry. I'm glad that you've gotten professional help for her. I will be praying for her and for you. I know that you are heartsick about this. The fact that you daughter wanted to go for help is a big step in the right direction.

I have a 13 year old who is having some anger and depression problems too. She has been through a lot with mine and her dad's marriage problems and also school pressures. I am getting her counseling after she sees her new primary care doctor in June. It just makes me so sick when I see the things that teens are going through these days. I just want to take my daughter and go to the backwoods with no internet, phone, or TV. I truly believe that the internet has so much influence on teens -- especially My Space. And these young people are so good at hiding what's really going on with them.

I'm sending hugs to you and your daughter.

Visit my Etsy shop at http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com/

Edited by - therusticcottage on May 23 2007 11:10:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  02:55:28 AM  Show Profile
Ricki, she will be okay. Maybe not today or tomorrow but this will not last forever. She is getting the professional help she needs and lots of love from you. Don't beat yourself up. Just encourage her, love her and pray for and with her. I think our kids are pretty world smart these days. It's sad really. They know more about life than we ever did at that age. Angie

"Father, thank-you for blessing us with the gift of children.Sometimes we are overwhelmed Lord, but we know the you have a plan for all of our children. I pray for Ricki and her daughter as they go through this tough time and ask for healing. I ask this is Jesus name. Amen"

"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2
Go to Top of Page

Sweet Harvest Homestead
True Blue Farmgirl

279 Posts

Lindy
Stanfield NC
USA
279 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  03:34:28 AM  Show Profile
Rikki,
I am praying and sending good thoughts your way. I felt similar to your daughter when I was 18. It was a very tough time but I came through it. With lots of love from you, she will too.

www.sweetharvesthomestead.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

Runbikegrrl
True Blue Farmgirl

250 Posts

MaryAnn
Waterbury Ctr VT
USA
250 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  04:04:07 AM  Show Profile
Rickie I will pray for both you and your daughter. If this helps ...I can tell you that my best friends daughter was cutting herself ( they did not have a great relationship at the time) she was 16 then now she is almost 20 and a outgoing girl who appears to be pretty happy. I have my parenting sorrows right now as well.My "perfect son" who was on route to graduate in a couple of weeks and go on to college practically free because he got sports and academic scholarships just got kick out of his private school for "violation of the drug and alcohol policy"...he is going to get a diploma but can not go to prom, or graduation ceremonies and was kicked off the lacrosse team ( he was the star of the team and lives and breaths for the sport) It's a hard time. What we go through with our kids is soooo painful...but we just have to believe in them and love them. It is hard right now but things happen for a reason ....maybe we will look back a few years from now and what is happening will all be clear. Anyway you and your girl will be in my thoughts today.

So many interests so little time!
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  05:47:19 AM  Show Profile
Ricki, you've got my prayers & I sent you an e-mail.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  06:20:40 AM  Show Profile
Sending good thoughts and prayers!
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  06:31:08 AM  Show Profile
I'll be praying too! It's rough being a teenager and having one sometimes. I'm glad you are getting her help. True confessions here- I checked in to a pysch hospital in March for severe depression. It was the darkest time of my life. The funny thing is outwardly I'm sure people thought I had it great. I have a great family,I'm very outgoing, but inside I was dying. Depression can be so chemical and you can't just kick yourself out of it. But with anti depressants and a good therapist , I'm a hundred percent better. Your daughter will be too. Just keep giving her lots of love and prayers- WE'll all do the same here!!! May hugs!
Go to Top of Page

horse
True Blue Farmgirl

371 Posts

laura
pontotoc mississippi
USA
371 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  06:53:34 AM  Show Profile
I am trully sorry that you and your family is going through this right now. I will be praying for you and yours. You are on the right track.
Take care and prayers, healing thoughts, and hugs coming your way.
God Bless
Laura
www.2lmzfarms.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  07:37:11 AM  Show Profile
I'm so sorry you and your family are going through this. My friend's son is recovering from being a cutter. He was sent to a behavioral management compound about a year ago and stayed for about 4 months. He is doing ok so far and even with the added stress of his father dying in December in a car accident. Hopefully your daughter can get the help that she needs. It seems like such an epidemic with our young children. I don't know how cutting got to be so prevalent among our youth?

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  08:43:35 AM  Show Profile
I will certainly pray for you. We have had several kids at our school suffer with this as of late. Unfortunatly in a lot of the shows, movies, music and stuff these kids listen to, this problem is made light of or made to seem cool. I will pray for you daughter as well.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  10:22:34 AM  Show Profile
Ricki, 13 is the most dangerous year of life because everything is black and white, no shades of gray. When my daughter was 13, they called me into school and told me she was planning to kill herself with her BF at 4pm. Turns out she was passing notes with her BF about how depressed they were but not planning to kill themselves. They made us go to see a counselor anyway, and it was a blessing because we were in the middle of a divorce from her abusive dad and it gave us both the chance to talk it out and get help. So these things ca be a blessing in disguise.

I am surrounding your beautiful daughter with peacefulness and healing and much love, knowing that right here and right now, God is working in her.

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

Farmgirls do it organically!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  10:47:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ricki-

I am so sorry that you and your family have to go through this. I am keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. I hope things work out for the best. Please keep us updated!

I have an amazingly supportive and normal family, but during that time in my life I struggled with depression and such. I like to think that I turned out okay :) Your daughter is lucky to have such loving and supportive mom who is concerned for her health and well being.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  11:18:12 AM  Show Profile
Ricki,
You,your daughter, and family are in my thoughts and prayers.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  12:55:20 PM  Show Profile
Ricki -- I woke up at 4:30 this morning with you and your daughter on my mind. I did lots of praying for both of you.

Visit my Etsy shop at http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

newheart
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Margie
Owings Mills Maryland
USA
471 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  1:08:08 PM  Show Profile
Ricki...You and your daughter have been on my mind since I first read this..I will offer up my prayers for you both and ask God to hold you in his hands and to comfort you both.

May He bless you and cause his light to shine on you from now to forever more...

margie

Chocolate makes my Heart 'sing"...
Go to Top of Page

simpler1773
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Ricki
Ashland Wisconsin
USA
234 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  8:00:33 PM  Show Profile  Send simpler1773 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you so much for the love and support and prayers, it means so much to me.

We visited my daughter today and she is doing really well. There is a long road to recovery but she seems to be in good spirits and is really letting everything out and they are doing alot of therapy with her.

We don't have a release date yet, but I am guessing either tomorrow or Saturday ~ it's usually a short term thing. But we already have some great family tools to deal with this and of course she'll have continuing therapy and they have put her on a couple of meds for now.

That's all I know at this point, but things are definately better than they were when we checked her in there. She was so loving and happy to see us today, and the staff can't say enough good things about her. She hates the hospital food though Some things never change. Heh.

Thank you again so much for all of the support.
Farmgirls are the very best!

~Ricki~
Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  8:27:39 PM  Show Profile
Prayers for you and your daughter.

Grew up on a farm...moved to da city...
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  02:48:21 AM  Show Profile
Very encouraging news!

"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2
Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  09:14:37 AM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
This is great news. I will continue praying for the recovery of her physical and emotional well being. (((Hugs)))

Valerie
Yes, I live in my own little world. But that's ok they know me here.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Go to Top of Page

horse
True Blue Farmgirl

371 Posts

laura
pontotoc mississippi
USA
371 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  11:42:39 AM  Show Profile
So glad to hear things are getting better. Will continue to pray for you and your daughter.
Laura
www.2lmzfarms.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  1:05:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am so glad that she is in better spirits. I will keep you all in my thoughts.

Hugs!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

mkmomus
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Merle
Greensboro NC
248 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  4:36:57 PM  Show Profile
Ricki,
God bless your daughter and your family. I know this is a hard time for you. The children today face so much. I wish we could keep them safe in our arms forever. I will be praying for you all.
Merle
Go to Top of Page

simpler1773
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Ricki
Ashland Wisconsin
USA
234 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  08:02:13 AM  Show Profile  Send simpler1773 a Yahoo! Message
Just a small update and a thank you again to those who prayed/are praying for us.

She's been home since Saturday, we spent the long weekend at my Mom's farm surrounded by family and I think it was a really healing time. Good to be back home though :)

Her eyes are clear and bright. The meds seem to be helping with sleep issues, and so far no cutting or even bad anger issues. She goes back to see her therapist tomorrow.

Thanks ladies ~ you all are a wonderful support.

~Ricki~
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Could really use some prayers for teenager. Update Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page