Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic City Gardens- What do I do? Next Topic  

dairygirl87
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Laura Ann
Clarence New York
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  10:10:27 AM  Show Profile  Send dairygirl87 an AOL message
Hello Ladies-

Would anyone know what some plants that would grow well in the city that are easy to to take care of for middle school children? I want to get them interested in farming by doing and "From the Farm to you!" lesson one day in my urban ecology camp. Please let me know your thoughts!

~Laura

"No race can prosper until it learns there is as much dignity in tilling a field as there is in writing a poem..."

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  10:49:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Tomatos grow well in containers. But do need a rather large container. I know there are strawberry plants that are small enough to grow well in a flower pot. That could be fun for the kids- who doesn't love strawberries, right?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  10:54:46 AM  Show Profile
sunflowers, marigolds, lima beans, squash, tomatoes, peas,bush beans,lettuces(try the baby lettuce/pot variety from Rebecca's Garden online they are cute and fast growing and can grow easily in pots)

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  11:35:12 PM  Show Profile
Laura,
don't laugh, but raddishes are ridiculously easy to grow,,,, heck you could just about grow them on a sidewalk!!!!hahaha!
Let the kids each plant 2-3 radish seeds in a cup w/potting soil or lose sandy soil. They grow very fast & they are edible....
Another fun kid project, using a sand pail(.97cents at discount stores) fill w/potting soil (don't forget drain holes) sprinkle w/grass seeds & cover lightly w/more soil. Then plant 1-2 low growing sunflower seeds in the center...the grass will grow & the kids can give it a hair cut, but when the sunflower seeds sprout be careful not to cut them off. The end result will be a pretty sunflower or 2 in a "lawn"....

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
www.katmom4.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  12:36:02 PM  Show Profile
Hi Laura,
So long as you've got a lot of sun, echinacea (coneflower) is very easy to grow. The first year I grew mine, they ended up being 2 1/2 feet tall!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  12:43:55 PM  Show Profile
I second the thought on bush beans. Swiss Chard, peppers, strawberries, if you want to plant in a plot of land then pumpkins or melons are easy too.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  11:26:42 AM  Show Profile
I'm with the others. Beans are so easy to grow.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

dairygirl87
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Laura Ann
Clarence New York
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2007 :  6:35:46 PM  Show Profile  Send dairygirl87 an AOL message
THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE! My students will be so happy they can have a range of projects to choose from!

~Laura

"No race can prosper until it learns there is as much dignity in tilling a field as there is in writing a poem..."
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2007 :  1:51:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Which ones are you going to offer them?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

dairygirl87
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Laura Ann
Clarence New York
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2007 :  2:13:24 PM  Show Profile  Send dairygirl87 an AOL message
It's a camp so I get new kids every week. So for the weeks when the kids wont be returning to the spot where we are having class, I'll send them home with potted plants. I'm thinking I'll do sunflowers, beans, tomatoes and marigolds.

~Laura Ann

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  12:05:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That sounds really cool! I bet they will love that!

Alee

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic City Gardens- What do I do? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page