Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Use of JoAnn Fabrics Restroom
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Use of JoAnn Fabrics Restroom Next Topic
Page: of 2

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  09:39:52 AM  Show Profile
What do you think?

Edited by - thehouseminder on Aug 27 2015 2:14:15 PM

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  10:07:31 AM  Show Profile
Lucinda!! so good to see you back!!!
I think it is horrible that they would close the restrooms to customers!! MY gosh!!! I have to drive an hour and 1/2 to the nearest JoAnns from here and don't get there very often..but I ALWAYS have used the restroom (after a drive like that..and a bladder like mine..haha) I don't blame you for being upset for your parents.
I will check to see about that one and send an email for sure..what a dumb policy!
I hope you are doing better and we get to have you around more..I have missed you here!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  10:15:21 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the warm welcome back, Jenny!

You don't know how often I have thought of you and the other Farmgirls during my recovery! So hard to stay in bed an not move! Missing all my friends.

Love that beautiful calf!

And you're right, we ALL need to be able to use that restroom. Going to the fabric store is supposed to be a treat, not a trial

Lucinda

When we were young, there were moments of such perfectly crystallized happiness that we stood stock still and silently promised ourselves that we would remember them always. And we did. --Holly J. Burkhalter , "Four Midwestern Sisters' Christmas Book"

Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  10:15:55 AM  Show Profile
I will email them- this frustrates me to no end and I am usually the one with two kids in tow crossing the divided highway when Bella has to go 'right now'! We actually plan the little shopping we do with the kids based on where we know there is a clean restroom just in case...
Rebekka

Nature does not ask permission. Blossom and birth whenever you feel like it!

Clarissa Pinkola Estes
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  10:27:35 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Rebekka,

I'm sure whoever made the decision to close the restrooms doesn't really understand what our needs are until we let them know.

Can't wait to get to know you better!

Lucinda

When we were young, there were moments of such perfectly crystallized happiness that we stood stock still and silently promised ourselves that we would remember them always. And we did. --Holly J. Burkhalter , "Four Midwestern Sisters' Christmas Book"

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  10:31:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
That's ridiculous! I'm surprised that they don't have/didn't consult any legal advisors about the ramifications of their idiotic and customer unfriendly decision!

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  11:03:56 AM  Show Profile
welcome back Lucinda

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  11:18:16 AM  Show Profile
Hi Janice!

I prefer to think that it never occurred to them that this would be a problem. They are being pretty stubborn about it though...

Thanks for the welcome, Tina!

Lucinda

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  12:22:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Welcome back Lucinda!

I am so sorry to hear about your broken neck! Ouch!

Thanks for telling us about this! Imagine their surprise as they get all these phone calls from upset farmgirls! Hopefully they will listen to theur customer's voices!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  12:34:08 PM  Show Profile
WOW!! i think this is totaly unacceptable!!
& just unbelievable!!
They know we stay in the store for substantial lengths of time.. & for them to expect us to NOT be able to use their rest rooms is NOT something to be taken lightly..
Definatly.. a mas emailing.. letter writing & phone calling would probably be in order with something like this.. it's not as if this is a store that we just run in & run out with.. i know when i go here.. & intend on staying like you said.. at LEAST a couple hours at a time!!!

Thanks for this info!!

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

Naturecraft
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Cheryl
Loveland CO
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  1:24:14 PM  Show Profile
I work at a JoAnn Superstore in Loveland CO and I have never heard of this! I wonder what is going on? I will ask my manager when I go to work on Friday. I am really curious and can't imagine why they would do this???!!!
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  1:40:52 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the warm Howdy, Alee!

Hi Kathie and Cheryl. I can't wait to get to know you better!

I know I can count on my "Sister Farmgirls" to talk to Joann's in our usual friendly but INSISTANT way

We just need to let them know how we feel. Remember that this was a corporate decision, not one made by store managers.

Cheryl, I can't wait to hear what you find out

Calling all Farmgirls!!!!!!
Lucinda

Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  2:05:12 PM  Show Profile
I thought that, because they offer classes (meaning, something that is a gathering of people), they have to provide facilities for those groups of people as well...

I don't go to places without bathrooms. I have two kids. They go a lot. I go a lot. When you have to drive 30 minutes to an hour to get anywhere, you want to go to the bathroom when you arrive.

Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  2:08:46 PM  Show Profile
Lucinda, Hope you are having a good day and welcome back!

I hope you have better luck than I had when I called them on our local Joanns. It was a REALLY messy store and the help SO grumpy that I let them know about it. They didn't seem at all interested so I was forced to go elsewhere. I will tell you though, years later, it seems they have cleaned up their act. The store is much cleaner and the help at least stopped snarling!

If life gives you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  3:06:47 PM  Show Profile
Lucinda! So glad that you are back and that all is well! (Except for the news about Joanne's!) Good night! Wait until the mom with a two-year-old, potty-training toddler goes in and the child cannot wait.

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  4:32:15 PM  Show Profile
Lucinda, I know what you mean about your mom. My mom had radiation in the same place with her last bout of cancer. It was very hard on her and it leaves their mouth and salivary glands in a mess. Mom couldn't eat a cracker without just about choking to death. She had to keep water with her every where she went. I can't believe they are trying to close the restrooms. When I go there to shop I'm usually there for awhile, so I don't have to explain the rest. I don't get to go often, but I would definitely need to use their facilities while there! Thanks for letting us know about it!

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

www.mikkijo.etsy.com

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mag
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

Margaret
Mount Vernon OH
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  5:07:18 PM  Show Profile
Glad to hear everyone is recovering, Lucinda. The JoAnn's I go to in Columbus, OH still has public restrooms but it is an ETC, which is the expanded Joann's. I don't know if that makes a difference but I will definately let the corporate office know my feelings on this. Even if you are in perfect health it is good to know that you have the facilities available when you need it.

take care,
mag
Go to Top of Page

Terre
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Indiana
USA
97 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  6:37:19 PM  Show Profile
I went to my Joann's a couple of weeks ago and found not only the restrooms closed to the public, but was treated rudely as well. I did email Joanne corporate headquarters in Hudson, Ohio and they told me that yes, they did make the decision to close their restrooms in their "traditional" stores, which in my area means the stores they haven't updated or maintained as they have been building their bigger and better "Joanne etc" stores in more affluent areas. They forwarded my letter to the district manager, who told me that this particular store which is the closest to my home would be put on its list of about 800 stores throughout the country that they plan to update. He said that my store was on the list and when it happened it would be a big deal that everyone would know about. I told Joanne's that over all the years, that I probably sewed more when I had less money. As for me, I'm done with Joanns. I plan to shop elsewhere while they are updating their 800 stores. Yes, you can tell---I'm still bent and not a bit happy about their answer. Good luck in your area! P.S. The Joann's etc store offers classes, is much bigger and yes they still let their customers use the restroom.

Be true in heart.
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  7:22:50 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone, just thought I would let you know that I went to my JoAnn's this evening with 3 of my kids, and we all peed in their bathroom....3 times!!! Ours are still oopen here in Bloomington, and our staff is very friendly. Cheers...jess
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  10:44:08 PM  Show Profile
Before Joann's was a super store here there was not public restroom. You had to go to Target next door. It always irked me -- a public restroom is just something that should be offered. To me it's part of customer service. The new superstore has a public restroom -- hope it stays that way.

Visit my Etsy shop at http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  11:31:33 PM  Show Profile
Wow, I was in a Joann's in Woodbury, MN today and didn't use the restrooms. I had gone to a Michael's first, since I had made a 90 mile drive to get there. I really don't even like to go to stores that don't have access to a restroom, for personal health reasons. I get nervous about it and that ruins my shopping. I won't go if they close the potties!

Jana
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  4:34:18 PM  Show Profile
Ours have been closed for about two years. Hancock has a restroom. I go there now. After driving aways to get to a store I always have to head to the restroom first. Joann's hardly has any fabric anyway. It's all craft and junky yard stuff.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  5:17:35 PM  Show Profile
Hey Lucinda! I wondered about you, I am sorry to hear you were away recovering and not doing something outrageous instead! Nice to see you back and that you are feeling better!

As for this STUPID policy...don't they know that the only people who still sew are women with bladders the size of thimbles?!!! And we are usually accompanied by children who do not know the meaning of "in a minute"? What is wrong with a corporation who does not want
women to be extended the courtesy of a restroom? Good grief! I will most certainly email ( and quite possibly call) the "boneheads". How much do you want to bet the policy was made by MEN?!!!
Thanks for the heads up Lucinda!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  5:59:13 PM  Show Profile
This really irritates me - and I don't even know if my local store is affected or not! Closing restrooms is just *wrong* - and when someone is standing there or seeks out an employee to ask for a restroom because they need go, who *turns away another human being?*

Call me extremist, but I feel like taking my business elsewhere. *Women* spend most of their dollars at Joann's. It is mostly women (not to turn a blind eye to your father, but men in Joann's tend to be an aberration) who shop there and *women* who are most affected with children, bladder control, and menstruation. What - if one of y'all take a class there and Bubba comes to visit, you can't even go tend to the matter? That's total garbage on Joann's part. Shame on their corporate policy!! ~ K

~ Kaylyn ~ (Living in Suburbia with a FARMGIRL Heart!)

My Cause: http://nickspavilion.blogspot.com/
My Life: http://vintageredhead.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  6:29:49 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I am a little confused. Are we talking about making private industries force to have public restrooms. Am I understanding correctly. If that is the case I agree it is an inconvenience but it is still private land and they should be aloud to say how and for what purposes that land is used for and how.

It is everyones right to shop some place else in boycott. But I don't think there should be laws enforcing this public restroom that seems a little to much government in peoples lives.

I have been to plenty of mom and pop stores that don't have bathrooms I still frequent them and yes I have 3 children all on the small side of life. I understand the inconvenience.

But if we ask for laws forcing this who is to say what other rights we are forcing people to give up. I don't agree with either side of this issue as it stands.

I would have to know more details. It sounds like it is a temporary thing while they upgrade. If the bathrooms are not good healthy places and they think they should be closed I wouldn't want to use it any way for health concerns.

Not sure how I stand but I don't see Joanns as all wrong and the customer as all right I see both having valid arguments for and against.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/

Edited by - sunshine on Jun 05 2007 6:32:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  6:33:02 PM  Show Profile
First thing this morning when I read this report about Joanns bathroom situation I emailed them to let them know that we really need access to the ladies room or else we may have to take our business elsewhere. I drive 35 miles to JoAnns and good grief I need to know that the ladies room is availble. Anyway I let them know that we need to have access to their facilities. Tracy.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Use of JoAnn Fabrics Restroom Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page