KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2007 :  9:25:10 PM  Show Profile
Woo hoo! It's been a hot few weeks around here, almost more like August than May into June, but I harvested my peas this a.m....and with the advise of another farmgirl, everything went super smooth! I will plant anothe crop by late August, early September to have a few more lbs...they're wonderful, but really are rather labor intensive little buggers, aren't they?

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  12:10:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
How do you know when your peas are ready for harvest? I have never grown them before and I am really looking forward to garden fresh peas!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  3:49:15 PM  Show Profile
I'll tell you...I marked on the calendar according to my seed packet as a guideline, but I really could have harvested some as early as the week prior. You don't want the pods to be too tough--then they're past their prime for fresh eating, but do fine for freezing. I just kept checking on them, and when they got "weighty" I snipped them off. I've also read that the pods were supposed to turn bright green, but mine stayed....green :). I think our major heat wave contributed to the flourish, but that's what I've taken from my pea experience...

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  12:46:03 PM  Show Profile
Wah! I LOVE peas, but I had two year old Oregon Trail seed, and so much of it did not germinate. I've got a bunch of Green Arrow seed that's from this year, but I'm thinking with the hot weather starting I'll have to wait until August. Do you get good autumn yields? It doesn't feel like spring without fresh peas to eat!
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Put up some Peas already! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page