Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 What book has impacted you the most?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic What book has impacted you the most? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  4:48:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What book has impacted you the most?

This could be a book that you live by it's philosophy- or one that really made you think or just really clicked with your emotionally.

I am not sure if it is THE book that has impacted me the most, but I really think "The Worthing Saga" by Orson Scott Card is one that everyone should read. It is science-fiction/fantasy but doesn't read like it at all. It is based on a very primative (dark ages like) society. The story starts out where no one has ever felt pain or disappointment. Then suddenly one day the pain returns. The rest of the book deals with the way the society deals with learning about pain and how it affects them.

When I was listening to this tape on audio book it completely captivated my mind. Even when I wasn't listening to it, I couldn't help but think about it.

Alee

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  5:48:22 PM  Show Profile
I think the book that impacted me the most was "The Sword of Shannara" by Terry Brooks. This is also a science fiction/fantasy book. The author has written quite a few books since this one came out in the mid 70's. My youngest son's middle name is after one of the character's in the book, Eventine. The book meant that much to both my husband & myself.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  6:00:26 PM  Show Profile
Without a doubt, The Good Life by Scott and Helen Nearing. Their philosophy of living in a "use economy" as opposed to living in a "market economy" has changed our (DH and I) lives.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  6:12:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Dawn-

I love the Shannara books!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  10:47:36 AM  Show Profile
I remember Helen and Scott Nearing. They lived what they taught, and had a long rich life. They each passed in their nineties.

I've had several books really hit me hard. One of the first I remember was "The Grapes of Wrath." That still haunts me, and I still re-read it every five years or so. Then there's "The Secret," a much more recent phenomena. It's brought a great deal more into focus. Another would be Susan Harris's book "Horse Gaits, Balance, and Movement." This book on biomechanics does a fabulous job of pointing out the common denominator in all disciplines, and showing how the training priorities are the only real variant.

Isn't it fun to find a book that absolutely rings true?
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  12:39:27 PM  Show Profile
I guess because I'm still on my Memorial Day kick, but Citizen Soldier by Stephen Ambrose, is an incredible insight into what our soldiers experienced in WWII, mostly from the 101st airborne perspective. It's heartbreaking, and beautifully written, and reminds me why I fly my flag.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. Just really clicked with me emotionally, from the time I was a small girl to the present. I can read it over and over, and know what love is.

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  8:38:01 PM  Show Profile
The Red Tent, The Book of Ruth, The Kite Runner and The Secret Life of Bees are four books that are memorable and have made me rethink life in various ways. Oh, Stones From the River was a great book about a German girl living through WWII. I did not want that one to end.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  07:36:40 AM  Show Profile
Alee, I'm glad to fine a fellow "Shannara" fan! I met the author, Terry Brooks, at a book signing about 10 years ago. He was originally from the Northwestern part of IL. He was super nice, soft spoken & very interesting. Quite the Renaissance man! Since you're a young'un, I doubt you know that the "Sword of Shannara" book was first a comic in the Chicago Tribune. Mr. Brooks told me that was the only way he could get published! I had read the cartoon faithfully every day in the paper, then when I saw the book on vacation, I had to buy it immediately! It took him 10 years to write another, so I would read "The Sword" over & over.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  09:48:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Dawn-

You are right! I didn't know that! I haven't read the series for a very long time- I will have to re-read them!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  6:06:03 PM  Show Profile
Just about anything by Barbara Kingsolver. Most recently, "Small Wonder"-I actually had to stop reading it at night because I would be up half the night thinking about what I had read. I'm going to read her most recent book "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" this summer.

I guess the reason why I like her so much is that when I read her work, I usually find myself thinking "Yes!!! Exactly!!! Someone out there thinks just like I do".
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  6:30:26 PM  Show Profile
KYgurlsbest - I agree with you about Stephen Ambrose. I LOVE his World War II books. I own every single one of them. He brings to life what our brave boys did during World War II. I am very appreciative to HBO for bringing "Band of Brothers" to life. It truly did justice to Ambrose's book. His stories about the bonds and friendships and heartache of WWII shows us what our brave troops are dealing with in the deserts of the Middle East today.

check out my blog: http://catholiccountrygirl.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  7:51:32 PM  Show Profile
It's hard to pick one... but I would have to say "Coming Home to Eat" by Gary Paul Nabhan. I read it back when I was 18 and it changed the way I live. It made me realize that local food, local economy, biodiversity and small farms are all ESSENTIAL to keeping the world working properly. It's really helped to shape my path thus far.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

Now Open!: http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  8:07:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Has anyone else read the James Herriot books?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  9:26:54 PM  Show Profile
I LOVED the James Herriot series!!! The first book was my favorite, but I read them all.

The book that had the most impact on me was 5 Acres and Independence by Maurice Kains. Our neighbor, Jane, gave me a copy of this book in the mid-70s when I was in my early teens, and reading it created in me the dream to own my own farm.

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  9:43:56 PM  Show Profile
It is so much fun to read what books have impacted you all - and my "to-read" list is growing by the moment! There was a time in my life where "The Golden Notebook" by Doris Lessing was very impactful for me. Also, "The Illustrated Journal" by Hannah Hinchman was a life-changer, as well.

And as for James Herriot - I just love two collections of his stories - "Dog Stories" and "Cat Stories." Isn't he just wonderful!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  10:49:50 PM  Show Profile
The Stillmeadow books by Gladys Taber - her books influenced me and have given me the lifestyle that I wanted to achieve. And I also got to raise cocker spaniels just like Gladys. Now all I need is to find that big old farmhouse to make my dream complete!

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  11:38:15 PM  Show Profile
I love James Herriot too..I could read his books over and over. Any time I don't have a new book to read, and need one (NEED) I get out one of his too re read..they are all just great!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  09:58:57 AM  Show Profile
Oh Yeah! James Herriot! The very reason I wanted to be a large animal vet (but turned out to be a ballerina :) All Creatures Great and Small!

Rachel...so glad to know I'm not the only girly who reads Stephen Ambrose. My husband and I really love his books. I'm right there with those soldiers, and YES, Band of Brothers is our all time fave sit down, watch straight through. We've seen it a gazillion times, but we always start on Memorial day with the training episodes, and then wait until June 6 to begin with the invasion. My husband's Uncle, a Passionist priest, said Christmas Mass at the Battle of the Bulge and we have his photo album and scrap book from the war, so it's all very poignant for him.

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  3:11:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am so glad that there are other James Herriot fans here! It was my dream to be a vet for a long time because of his books!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  9:00:00 PM  Show Profile
i don't know about 'impacting' me .. but is so very much enjoy all the books by janice holt giles.

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Kati
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Kati
North Pole AK
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  11:01:01 AM  Show Profile
For thought provoking favorite reads, I'd have to say _The Secret Life of Bees_ and _The Red Tent_. Oh, and I've loved the _Material World_ and _Women of the Material World_ books. And James Howard Kunstler's 3 books _Geography of Nowhere_, _Home from Nowhere_ and _The Long Emergency_.

For just plain old favorite reads, Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series (though this one is more simple enjoyment, it does make one think at times as well).

Blessings. --Kati
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  2:45:38 PM  Show Profile
"First We Have Coffee" by Margaret Jensen is my fave. My eldest daughter and I got to spend a day with her a couple years ago....truly a gift from the Lord. We both love her books, and had read that one time and again.

www.homesteadblogger.com/TheQueenofQuiteAlot/
www.freewebs.com/muckbootsnaprons/
www.freewebs.com/dailywalkinfarm/
Go to Top of Page

Justimagine
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Kate
TX
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  1:50:50 PM  Show Profile
The book of John in the Bible, had the greatest impact on my life. Actually...everything in the Bible! But I really love the book of John.
Has anyone read the Ted Dekker books? He's very addictive once you start reading his stuff. The biggest "page turner" for me was his book "Three". But I also liked his "Circle Trilogy"..."Black" is the first one...then "Red" and then "White" I love to read and can't just read one book at a time. I always have several going at once.
Kate~

"...out of the heart flow the wellsprings of life"
Proverbs 4:23
See what's springing up from Kate's heart today at www.Kate-Wells.com
Go to Top of Page

ranchhandwife
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Karen
Tonasket WA
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  2:34:07 PM  Show Profile
I recently read a book by Jody Picoult - "My Sister's Keeper". Loved it - the story stayed with me for a long time. I plan on reading more of her books.

I also enjoy Nancy Thayer (The Hot Flash Club series) and anything by Nora Roberts and Christine Feehan.

Karen
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  2:54:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Karen- I love stories that just haunt you. Some haunt in a good way- like a friend following you around and some haunt in a more scary way. I remember listening to "All Around the Town" by Mary Higgins Clark when I was about 10-12 yrs old. I still remember that book and it made me aware of kidnappings and such. I love the book "The Worthing Saga" by Orson Scott Card. I never get sick of reading that one (or listening on audio tape.)

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Justimagine
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Kate
TX
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  3:27:08 PM  Show Profile
Alee...if you like books that "haunt" you... you should definitely read Ted Dekker's "Three". It'll follow you around for months, lol
Kate~

"...out of the heart flow the wellsprings of life"
Proverbs 4:23
See what's springing up from Kate's heart today at www.Kate-Wells.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic What book has impacted you the most? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page