Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 What book has impacted you the most?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic What book has impacted you the most? Next Topic
Page: of 2

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  09:53:16 AM  Show Profile
This is a bit differet - nonfiction - but FastFood Nation scared the bejeebas out of me!
Go to Top of Page

Runbikegrrl
True Blue Farmgirl

250 Posts

MaryAnn
Waterbury Ctr VT
USA
250 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  10:59:16 AM  Show Profile
Between a Rock and a Hard Place by Aron Ralston...without a doubt...the story and the writing is soooo great!

"So many interests so little time!"

http://lovelifelivegrrl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Amybug
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Amy
Grand Island Nebraska
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  12:35:13 PM  Show Profile
I love to read and have many books I have "loved." The two that have had the most impact on me are, "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "The Alchemist."

"The secret to a successful life is to take the cards you are dealt and play your best hand with them."
Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  8:10:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Woodswoman

Just about anything by Barbara Kingsolver. Most recently, "Small Wonder"-I actually had to stop reading it at night because I would be up half the night thinking about what I had read. I'm going to read her most recent book "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" this summer.

I guess the reason why I like her so much is that when I read her work, I usually find myself thinking "Yes!!! Exactly!!! Someone out there thinks just like I do".

Jennifer, I am reading "Animal , Vegetable, Miracle" right now. It really makes you stop and think. You view the whole grocerystore dependency thing with new eyes. Why would I buy my eggs at a commerical store, pay MORE and NOT knew who was responsible for feeding the layers and what the layers were fed. In essense, what is my egg made from. I buy my eggs, local, where the layers are free range and raised in a nature organic manner. All this and my dozen eggs cost me 1.25
Nothing else would make sense to me. What I can't raise or grow, I am trying hard to find locally (the huge petro people really don't need my pennies, they have some much already) I have seen this from both sides.. farmer/producer and consumer. Neither one gets a fair shake. The prices you pay for your foodstuffs in the commerical stores are not what the farmer/producer gets. So why should we support the people who would not know a radish from a beet? lol

Can you tell how much I LOVE this book? Lol Sorry for the rant..
Trace

pics from my world.. http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/tra-dun/
Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  8:16:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by ranchhandwife

I recently read a book by Jody Picoult - "My Sister's Keeper". Loved it - the story stayed with me for a long time. I plan on reading more of her books.

I also enjoy Nancy Thayer (The Hot Flash Club series) and anything by Nora Roberts and Christine Feehan.

Karen

I also read "My Sisters Keeper" that really was an awesome book. I have her book "Plain Truth"

pics from my world.. http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/tra-dun/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  9:20:46 PM  Show Profile
I loved both those books too. Jody Picoult is awesome.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  5:39:05 PM  Show Profile
It's been ages since I have looked in on Mary Janes's girls. the authors that have affected me most are: Tolkien, Mary Clearman Blue, and a local author named Evelyn Amos. How's that for a strange combination. I was in my middle 20's before I had even heard of Tolkien. When I started reading his books, starting with the 2nd of the trilogy, I did nothing else but read, think or dream about the books. These are the only books of which I have ever dreamed. It was a very hard cold winter, with a new baby, and lots of snow. It took me months to find them all, they were then out of print. If Tolkien was as involved with writing them as I was in reading them, his family must have put up with a lot.
Ms. Blue is an English professor at the University of Idaho. She writes family stories about small time ranching in the Judith Basin of Montana. Her books are haunting and tragic, and true. Ms. Amos was a local woman who with her husband and sons moved onto a small ranch in the winter of 1947-48. This was the worst winter that anyone in our part of the country remembers. They had just barely enough hay to get their cows thru a mild winter, and this one was anything but mild. The winter I read this book was a really bad one for us. It hit home, we had enough hay for our cows, but except that I wasn't packing water from the creek and had electricity, our lives were pretty much the same struggle. Loved reading all your favorites. I also like Janice Holt Giles.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  8:25:37 PM  Show Profile
I'm making a list of these books to look for next time I go to Borders. Whenever I get there I get overwhelmed and end up with mediocre books. Thanks girls!

http://diaryofafarmerswife.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  10:26:18 AM  Show Profile
When I was in the 7th grade, roughly 12 years old, I did a book report on William J. Lederer's "A Nation of Sheep" for Civics class, mostly because my parents had just bought it so it was handy. It bent my brain in the direction it's traveled ever since. Here's a quote from the book: "You and I are prisoners of our own government's self-generated publicity. Half the time we don't know what is really going on, and to find out we must apply the torch." (The torch of enlightened and enlightening inquiry, of course.)

And Rachel Carson's "Silent Spring." My mother bought up dozens of copies when it came out in paperback, and handed it out to people in plant nurseries the way Hare Krishnas used to push flowers on people at airports. It was almost the family bible.
Go to Top of Page

sheepdream
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Diane
Bloomington Indiana
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  5:14:52 PM  Show Profile
It's hard to pick one, but most recently: INVISIBLE ACTS OF POWER by Carolyn Myss. It's non-fiction and very inspiring---explores the things that people do privately that ultimately impacts people in positive/powerful/spiritual ways.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work." Thomas Edison
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  6:34:29 PM  Show Profile
Oh, this is a terrible question!!! It is impossible to narrow it down.

There are SEVERAL books that I have taken to heart in my life. I think that one that changed my life was one I looked at briefly at the university library and I can't even remember the name of it. But, it talked about Satan being a hand tool in God's hand. It really impacted my thinking on God's rule.

Growing up the books that really influenced me (other than the Bible and some classic writers) were the Laura Ingalls Wilder series, Janette Oke series and to an extent-Michael Crichton's books.

Jane Austen, Tolkein, C.S. Lewis, J.K. Rowling and Susannah Clarke.

As a mother, Little Men really impacted me. Also, For the Children's Sake by Susan Schaeffer Maucalay.

.�:*��* :�.Rebecca.�:*��* :�. http://boinglink.blogspot.com/

Edited by - _Rebecca_ on Aug 07 2007 6:35:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

ColdAntler
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Jenna
Sandgate VT
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  4:52:10 PM  Show Profile  Send ColdAntler an AOL message  Click to see ColdAntler's MSN Messenger address
pick up dave eggers short stories "how we are hungry" the last one is my favorite short story of all time.

http://itsafarwalk.blogspot.com/

http://coldantlerfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  7:44:56 PM  Show Profile
I've been an avid reader since I learned to read the week I turned 4. My sister wanted to be a teacher, we had the chicken pox together, and she taught me to read while we were sick.

The book that has most impacted me is the Bible, but I'm ashamed to say I didn't really read it much until a little over a year ago. I went from reading it only on Sunday and to prepare for the small group I was a member of, to reading it almost every day because I knew I should, to reading it several times a day because I want to.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  8:59:54 PM  Show Profile
Number one is the Bible, in all categories.

The book that hit me the hardest and still haunts me is Hiroshima. We had to read that in high school, and I was just devastated to think that such horror was and is really possible.

The Jungle by Upton Sinclair is a close second--about the Chicago meat packing industry around the turn of the century--maybe because my husband was a butcher for 25 years!

For enjoyment, I like George Eliot, Jane Austin, Bronte sisters, Trollop, and quite a few other 18th & 19th century authors. I see The Red Tent on several of your lists--I have that book but I haven't read it yet--maybe that will be the next one on the list. I also like biographies.

http://ktknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  09:07:16 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Mikesgirl, for reminding me about the Nearings. I had read a book by Rob Roy that mentioned them and wanted to read their book but forgot. I'll order it at the library immediately!

I just read "Chosen by a Horse" by Susan Richards and it was WONDERFUL!! I passed it on to a horse loving friend and can't wait till she reads it so we can talk about it together. It was so well written and a very healing story for me as a reader. You don't have to be a horse lover to love this book, but if you DO love horses, you'll REALLY love the book.

Anyone else read it????

till later~
Carrie

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  5:15:09 PM  Show Profile
HappyMama and KTKnits--

Have you ever read The Message??? I am half way through the NT and love it! I have read the Bible in King James, NIV, and Revised Standard, but The Message just really hits home. I'm amazed at how much more I understand the message of Christ!

Carrie M

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  5:21:47 PM  Show Profile
This is an easy one - Walden by Henry David Thoreau - he is my soulmate - his lifestyle and quiet and gentle ways won me over in High School!

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  5:40:14 PM  Show Profile
probably A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and To Kill a Mockingbird.....oh! and of coarse- Little Women!
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  7:46:29 PM  Show Profile
The Bible would be number one for me but second would be Christy by Cathrine Marshall. Inspired me to be a teacher .

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
]
My blog http://www.epicourier.com/Garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2007 :  07:50:31 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
I would name The Holy Bible as my #1 book, followed closely by "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill. His premise after interviewing several extremely successful people, "if you can believe it, you can achieve it."

"The Ugly American" taught me much about our wastefulness around the world. Another book that I've kept to myself is "The Roaring 2000's" which predicted exactly what is happening today in the housing market, and what it says is coming, isn't pretty...

Shari Thomas
farmer, web copywriter, blogger
Shari's Gone Country
Vote for me at "Blog for a year"
Go to Top of Page

aimeeravae
True Blue Farmgirl

341 Posts

Aimee
Deer River MN
USA
341 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2007 :  08:13:28 AM  Show Profile
I loved "Stranger in a strange Land". I reread it often and gleen more from it everytime. There are many books I love. When I realized books could be fun, I was hooked!

http://laplantewardklopf.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mommyswanson
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Laura
Waukegan IL
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2007 :  12:09:08 PM  Show Profile
I love the Mitford series by Jan Karon. This wonderful set of books has helped me to grow in my faith so much. I often re-read these when I need a clam place to retreat to.

Laura

"That which does not kill us makes us strong!" "I cast all my cares upon you Lord."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic What book has impacted you the most? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page