asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  07:00:11 AM  Show Profile
Some of the sunflowers and Aunt Jenny's holyhocks are startingto peak through and I noticed yesterday the cucumbers and zuchinni are starting to sprout to. So everything I have planted is growing - I always have a sense of worry those first few weeks after putting the vegetable garden in if anything is going to come up and grow or if it all is just not going to happen. I am always surprised when thing do come up. Strange I know.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh

Edited by - asnedecor on Jun 11 2007 07:01:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  10:16:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Zuchinni sounds amazing right about now! I must be vitamin deprived... each time I log on and read "Garden Gate" I get hungry! LOL

Alee
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  10:41:55 AM  Show Profile
Well, I wish it would get a little warmer here, so things would start happening in my garden! We had one week of 80-90 degrees, and last week and this it's in the 60-70s. But my seeds are coming up, the pole beans, corn and pumpkin, as well as sunflowers from Miz Frannie and Sweet Annie too, and the salad burnet, chervil and caraway seeds I planted. the plants I put in are all hanging in there, wishing for some warmth! I heard one of the gardening shows on the radio and he said "don't plant tomatoes until it is reliably 50 degrees or more at night" - well, heck, I still wouldn't have my maters in the ground! And I sure don't have a greenhouse yet! Well, I am sure when everything starts coming on, I will be singing another tune. It is just the spring impatience hitting me right now...you know, you plant it and then you want to eat it the next week :-) Good Gardening, everyone! Judy

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  12:40:50 PM  Show Profile
Well, April snow and finding someone to plow slowed me down, but it's finally starting to look like something out there! We've got a hundred strawberry plants in, some fruit trees, berry bushes and grapevines, and the following are up and going:

Beans: Jacob's Cattle, Blue Lake Bush, Royal Burgundy Bush, True Red Cranberry, Orca, Tiger Eye, Rattlesnake Snap

Leeks
Basil
(a very few peas)
Gold Nugget Squash
Penna. Dutch Crookneck Squash
Gourds
Melons (Moon and Stars...just put Emerald Gem seed in today)
Corn (Rainbow Dent and Japanese Hull-less popcorn...we'll see)
Red Pontiac Potatoes
Mesclun lettuce blend (gotta watch the bugs, though)

I've got flats and flats of all kinds of tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, and huckleberries that got late starts and aren't ready to go out yet...but we're getting there! I'm putting in cukes, zukes, yellow crookneck and some more winter squash tonight, as well as some basil and cilantro. Then I'm going to cram still more winter squash, tomatillos, and any other seed I've got left into every available cranny. I've got zinnias going around the margins, to attract pollinators.

You would not believe how many weeks I spent agonizing that nothing was going to work. No rain, cold snaps, drama. We have volunteer rhubarb, spearmint, and chives, tons of wild blackberries, and at least one big apple tree that's fruiting...and tons of flowers, wild and cultivated, everywhere. It's like a treasure hunt all the time.

Tons of slugs, quack grass, ferns, and other runner-propagating pests. A few run-ins with deer, but nothing too bad yet. BUT, we also have lots of pollinators, toads, and some helpful snakes, all of whom I'm encouraging to stay by making rock gardens (read: piles of rocks) as I dig them out of the field.

I'm sure trellising is the next hurdle, with all the beans and tomatoes I've got in or going in.

So cool to read about everyone else's progress!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  7:28:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Sarah! It sounds like you are using every available inch of your land!

I am hoping to expand my garden for next year. It looks like I won't get my corn or squash planted in time for this year and the sedge grass that makes up half of my lawn has got to go! I want to make a good size garden out of most of it though!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2007 :  06:52:15 AM  Show Profile
Well the bluejays dug up all of the sunflower seeds I planted and ate them. But good news, just outside of my raised beds are some volunteer sunflowers, so I am going to transplant those into the place were I planted the others. At least the squirrels have left the vegetable garden alone this year - usually they dig up the potatoe starts or eat the strawberries. I usually plant extra stuff anyway to "sacrafice" to the critters so that I can have enough for DH and I.

Anne in Portland

Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  3:01:42 PM  Show Profile
Well, my daughter and I were in the garden last night looking for things we planted. We started some things from seeds and others from plants. But when I say find, I mean FIND! I rototilled the garden really well and the soil looked great. But now we have a bumper crop of morning glory and thistles. It is so bad that I about cried. You cannot pull the stupid things or it makes it worse, so obviously rototilling was the best thing I could have done to create such a disaster. The only hope anyone has ever given me, besides moving, is to clip each start at it's base until it finally dies. Yeah right, the stuff has invaded every garden area, flower bed, and other place around our home. With the lament done, the cucumber, tomato plants, and other things are up and going. I think I may cut some lettuce for a salad. If I can find it again. =)

Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  5:00:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Angie-

I know it is so disheartening to find the morning glories, bind weeds and thistle invading our gardens. I normally say go fully organic, but these things demand stronger action! I would suggest buying yourself a small bottle of round up, some rubber gloves and one of those black spounge paintbrushes.

Put on your rubber gloves, pour a little of the round up into a container you can toss after the season is over. Paint the leaves and stalks of the plants you want to kill with the round up. I would just do the stuff that is not touching your food plants for now and just clip the shoots that are close to your plants. As they die, lay down wet newspaper (as thick as you can) and cover with grass clippings. This should help choke out the weeds.

You might need to re-apply the round up several times, but the poison should go into the plant and kill the roots.

Good luck!

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  9:32:46 PM  Show Profile
I was wondering if an eye dropper would work or would the painting be best? And, how long before the weed killer gets down far enough into the plant? Quite a bit of the thistles have escaped into the lawn and I would like to "treat" them before i mow them all down with the lawn mower as they are easier to see when the lawn isn't mowed. Should I wait a few hours, a day???

Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth!
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  06:51:39 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Alee for confirming the way I feel. I try not to use any weed spray and we never use pesticides, but there are times when pulling, digging and clipping will not get rid of certain weeds. We get black berry starts and other woody type starts like holly in and around our yard. If I find them early I can pull them up with no problem, but there are times when I don't find them and I can not get the whole root. So I do take the roundup, with a low to drip nozzle, go directly to the spot and give it a little squirt. I find that it works well without getting into the rest of my stuff. I feel guilty when I do it, but there are times when you have no choice. This year has been a real challenge and I believe I will have to spray a couple of little spots where I can not get rid of certain "invasive" items.

Anne in Portland

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  08:58:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Angie-

An eye dropper might work, but I wouldn't water for a few days or you might have some of the poison spread. I am not sure how many days it takes for it to really work into the plant. I think the bottle says.

I really hate using it, but might have to do it also to get some of the noxious weeds in our yard taken care of. I guess I kind of rationalize it because I am getting rid of the noxious and invasive weeds that are harming the helpful plants and in some places the native plants! And if we are careful, the poison will only do it's damage on the bad plants and once we get these nasties taken care of we can be happy and secure back in our organic practices.

I suppose that if you went out every day and just pulled and pulled and pulled you might get the problem taken care of without the Round-Up, but I can't spend 5-6 hours a day weeding my little 20X2 foot garden.

Alee

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2007 :  4:15:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh My Word!

My garden has come into it's own while I was gone- but so have the weeds! My lettuce bolted, so I had bigh huge spires to break off, my carrots are looking like I can start harvesting some of them, and I have picked about a gallon of pea pods! The tomatoes are still runty looking, and my fiance forgot to water about half of them. I am hoping that some of them will come back. I have a bunch of sunflowers that I need to plant and one from my first batch is still alive (amazingly enough!)

And the biggest suprise of all- Somone mowed my really high grass for me!

I am going to be spending every spare minute out in the garden for the next few days. I need to get the weeds under control. After I get them under control, I am going to be putting newspaper down to control the weeds and keep the moisture in the soil. Some of the weeds are up to my knees!!

Alee

Go to Top of Page

oceanfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

Rachel
A Little Closer to Heaven Oregon Coast
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  11:12:44 PM  Show Profile  Send oceanfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Mine is doing OK. The DOG keeps eating things. Working on keeping her OUT. Other than that, I'm just waiting... I have a later season here. Very tepid temps here, and things take longer to ripen. My plants are growing, though! And my tomatoes are looking healthy!

See what I'm up to on my blog... http://minetothine.blogspot.com
OR check out my gardening activities at http://oceanfarmgirlsgarden.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  5:22:43 PM  Show Profile
Just updated my blog with the latest garden pictures. Things are still slow going. I would love to have more than one or two days of warm weather and sunshine at a time. Happy Gardening!!!

Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
http://18happyhens.blogspot.com
www.LaMargueriteFarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  7:13:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It is overcast right now and it might rain tonight. That would be nice since I haven't had time to go out and garden today. I did super saturate with water last night so I know it was okay through the heat of the day. I need to go wrap up the cord to my lawn mower and put some tools away though. I had to feel my way back into the house last night- I stayed out until it was pitch black! LOL! I was thinning carrots by feel!

Alee

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  8:01:12 PM  Show Profile
picked my first zucchinni and squash .. tomatoes are still teensy ..got a real late start getting them into the ground!

herbs, fleurs and especially sunflowers are growing by leaps and bounds. planted a late 'wildflower' garden for cutting flowers .. they are just little sprigs right now .. i fear they will 'bite the dust' when we leave for ohio for a week in july .. with no one here to water them!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

AliShuShu
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Alison
Charlotte NC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  8:21:33 PM  Show Profile  Send AliShuShu an AOL message  Send AliShuShu a Yahoo! Message
those old summer thunderstorms have been rolling through here almost nightly for nearly 2 weeks and my garden is happy! everything is thriving... corn, sunflowers, beans, tomatoes, cukes, eggplant, squash, peppers... the okra is a little slow, but i'm going to fertilize everything soon... we also need to get some fencing up around the beans because they are wanting to climb and there's nothing there to grab hold of...
my harvest so far has been 2 pattypan squash, 2 hot peppers and the best cucumber i think i've ever had! YUM!

Alison
I think that if ever a mortal heard the voice of God it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. ~F. Frankfort Moore, A Garden of Peace
Namaste'
www.shumusings.com
Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  1:58:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
My sweet basil is thriving. Pesto making is the plan for tonight at my place. The weather has been so dry, odd for us. The yards are burning up, at least that saves gas, lol. But now we are rigging up hoses to water the garden. Still things look good. The baby zuchinni are begging to be eaten, soon. My roma beans have blossoms and there are baby cukes clinging to the fence. Soybeans are up as is the second planting of spinach. I thinned the late planted radishs and need to plant another row. My thai black pumkins are comming along, corn is up but the deer are walking through it lie they own the place (fence is now being erected, lol)When I was out weeding this morning, I noticed beets and turnips are forming. I still have a few more things to get into the ground and crossing my fingers I still have time, lol

( ; Trace

pics from my world.. http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/tra-dun/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Garden Gate: Previous Topic How is your garden doing? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page