UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  2:24:33 PM  Show Profile
We are in a level 2 drought here in GA so my watering restrictions have really cut into my garden growing. I have a rain barrel and it is all but empty. I've been using leftovers from my daughters kiddie pool in the garden, scooping it out bucket by bucket and watering that way.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  4:27:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ayako-

I hear that Hurricane season is going to start soon, do you think that will bring some rain your way? I hope the southeast corner of the US gets a nice gentle rain here soon- it seems like the drought is getting pretty bad down there.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  7:25:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
All my tomato plants are in the ground. Now I just need to get my sunflower seedling planted too and I will be ready for my trip to Wyoming. I hope it rains for 10 minutes every day that I am gone since I am sure my Fiance will forget to water and I am not sure if my neighbors will remember either. Everyone cross your fingers that the garden stays watered and growing while I am gone!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  9:02:09 PM  Show Profile
The kids and I spent awhile planting seeds today. We already got our tomatoes and peppers and cabbage and broccoli in last week. I put out some basil seedlings that were in the house today too. We still have more to plant. I need to get my supports up for the cukes and I want to put in just a couple zuchinni plants. I put out three spaghetti squash seedlings that a neighbor brought by for me today too. It was hot and sunny today and looks to be that way tomorrow.
I got lucky last night. I guess it got down pretty cold and I totally forgot to cover the tomato and pepper plants last night..they did fine though. My garden area is protected enough that we can do okay unless it is a really hard frost. I will sure check the thermometer outside when I milk tonight though. (I always milk late..about 11pm to 11:30) I am glad I have the stuff I covered things with last fall still ready...I will cover the basil if I have to also. It had grown enough inside that I was able to harvest enough to make a nice pesto sauce to go on chicken for supper tomorrow night..yum! I just love pesto.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sunflowergal
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Jennifer
Olalla WA
USA
7 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  07:00:59 AM  Show Profile
I just skimmed through this, so please forgive me if I mention something already mentioned.

I live in the Pacific Northwest and our growing season is marked by lots of rain and cold weather before and after. This year to get a jump start, we bought tomato plants from our local famer's market. The vendors warned repeatedly to not put these tomato plants outside. My husband and I obediently nodded our heads and then went to Ace Hardware to purchase plastic "Walls of Water". Basically they are a ring of tubes that you fill with water. The tubes act like a mini greenhouse for the plants inside. Our tomatoes look gorgeous and are larger than the model garden at the farmer's market.

I also managed to plant 4 types of lettuce, spinach, brocolli, acorn squash, beets, purple, yellow and green beens, peppers, corn, and carrots. I still hope to get in some chard and a couple home started tomatoes.

Just to show how tough us farmgirls can be I want to mention that I started planting in my third trimester and am now in my 9th month and plan to plant this morning.

I was born after my time.

Edited by - sunflowergal on May 31 2007 08:25:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sarah Blue
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Sierra Mountains California
USA
172 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  08:06:44 AM  Show Profile
We have two gardens and they're both small. A surprise frost in April killed quite a few things and almost all of our heirloom tomatoes so we had a setback. For some reason my boyfriend planted a ton of beans, all different kinds. I'm expecting them to be coming out my ears and if so, I'll be trying Kimberly's pickled beans recipe so I'm kinda excited. We've also got okra, squash, cukes, onions, a few garlic, peppers, basil, carrots, corn and my favorite - beets. This year we made a new raised bed so the gophers can't steal all my favorites!

"i believe in god, only i spell it nature." - frank lloyd wright
http://www.myspace.com/svgrrrl
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  12:45:26 PM  Show Profile
Sarah, I to lost a lot from the freeze in April.
But the good news is, we can always plant more!
Have you tried your hand at Artichokes?, they are fairly easy, but they do attract ants. At the end of the season you just cut the plant down to a stump & loosely cover with straw & they grow back in the spring. They do need about 3 feet of space per plnt. I find that the 2nd year the 'chokes are a bit smaller, and last year I just let them go to flower (like a thistle).
Have fun in your garden.

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
www.katmom4.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  1:46:39 PM  Show Profile
My garden is coming along quite nicely....except I started my peas too late and now the days are too hot for them it seems. I worry too much about my garden though when the truth is...things grow just fine without me worrying and fussing about it.

I have peas, lettuce mix, spinach, basil, corn, 3 tomatoes, green beans and brussel sprouts. I scaled WAY back on the garden this year but I put in a row of raspberries this year and a few herbs here and there.

Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.

Edited by - FlipFlopFarmer on May 31 2007 1:46:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sarah Blue
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Sierra Mountains California
USA
172 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  8:46:43 PM  Show Profile
Mmmm, raspberries sound nice. We had a row but the horses pulled them up and ate them, despite the thorns. Yes, Grace, we've grown artichokes. The plants are beautiful aren't they? I'd like to grow more of them, but they do take up a lot of space. Can't wait for the okra to get big. That's one of my favorites too.

"i believe in god, only i spell it nature." - frank lloyd wright
http://www.myspace.com/svgrrrl
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  9:02:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Gosh Sarah! You peas look great! Mine aren't that big yet!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

shmeg
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Megan
Granville Ohio
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  04:23:29 AM  Show Profile
Hey Elizabeth -it could be cutworms (or something like that)who like to eat through the stem at the base of the plant when the tomatoes are young. Try making a little "necklace" for them out of aluminum pie tins cut into strips and circle them around the bottom of the plant into the dirt. A 2 inch wide strip should be enough, and then make it long enough to go around the bottom of the stem. Once the plant gets bigger you can take it off.

I started heirlooms from seed to and had great success last year, this year not so much. We started our garden but we rent our property and our landlord told us she was showing the house. We didn't want to put anymore money into the garden if we were going to have to move so I put some of the plants that I had started from seed in containers. I checked them this morning and they have been dug up by the local raccoon or groundhogs. I'm about ready to give up for the season and give the rest of plants to whomever wants them. Oh well....
Go to Top of Page

Runbikegrrl
True Blue Farmgirl

250 Posts

MaryAnn
Waterbury Ctr VT
USA
250 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  04:45:20 AM  Show Profile
My poppies are blooming...just a few so far...take a look

http://lovelifelivegrrl.blogspot.com/

I love flowers!

"So many interests so little time!"

Go to Top of Page

sunflowergal
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Jennifer
Olalla WA
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  06:38:36 AM  Show Profile
They look loveley.

My rhodies are blooming. These are the late bloomers. My whites and yellows have already bloomed and wilted. Flowers are cool!

I was born after my time.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  12:47:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I just got back from watering my garden. The Carrots are doing great and my peas are flowering! I have 28 tomato plants and about 14 heads of lettuce. I can't wait until everything is ready at the same time!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

horse
True Blue Farmgirl

371 Posts

laura
pontotoc mississippi
USA
371 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  12:56:45 PM  Show Profile
The only things I have planted are tomatoes, pepper(18 different types) and rows of purple hull peas. I have small green tomatoes, and my pepper is producing. The peas are doing better since we have had some rain.
Laura
www.2lmzfarms.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  2:51:50 PM  Show Profile
I took advantage of the three day weekend and just planted my carrots and potatoes last weekend. But I started tomatoes, peppers, okra, sunflowers, green beans, pumpkins, corn, zucchini, cucumbers, gourds and a bunch of different herbs earlier this year in the house. I then put them out in the greenhouse with a bunch of lights to keep them from freezing in early April. I planted all of those(except the peppers) out in my raised bed garden last weekend, too, and then had to cover them for three nights when it got down to 28 again. All are doing very well.

I've decided to keep my peppers in the greenhouse this year and see if by keeping them warmer at night might produce bigger peppers(our nights are usually in the high 40's to low 50's) My peppers last year weren't much bigger than golf balls.

My peas that I had planted in the same bed that I had heirloom lettuce in last year are at least 12" high. I apparently dropped a lot of seed from the one lettuce head that I let go and a ton of lettuce was coming up with the peas. I transplanted most of it and ate the rest! They were small, but yummy. I have 3 strawberries almost ready to eat. So each of us will get a taste this weekend for sure. I can hardly wait. I LOVE strawberries.

I officially went organic this year. I bought organic seeds, organic potting soil, used manure, compost and fish emulsion instead of Miracle Grow. From the results I'm getting so far, I have to say that the fish emulsion works better than Miracle Grow. The only drawback is that if I splash any of it on me, I smell like dead fish the rest of the day. Oh well. I really like what it's doing for my garden!

I planted a bunch of annuals, too, but still need more to fill in the blank spaces after the tulip leaves die back. I need more room so I can start more flower seeds inside. A second greenhouse, maybe.....

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

We come from Nature, we go back to Nature; health & happiness in between requires intimacy with Nature.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2007 :  1:14:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Lisa- Your garden sounds great! What a wonderful way to get an early salad! Isn't it so easy to drop those little tiny seeds from the lettuce?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  08:17:30 AM  Show Profile
Alee, I thought I was being so careful not to drop any, but they obviously escaped. I really didn't mind having to transplant them. It was a lot of fun to eat my way through transplanting!

We come from Nature, we go back to Nature; health & happiness in between requires intimacy with Nature.
Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  3:35:33 PM  Show Profile
I posted a photo of our recent tomato harvest on my blog. The garden is starting to show signs of heat stress, but the tomatoes are giving it their all. This is the first time we've had birds eating the tomatoes though!

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  4:03:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh my! Those tomatoes look so yummy! Tomatoes in the store just never seem to have that great color! You can tell that those are homegrown! Yum! My mouth is watering just thinking about them!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  07:17:43 AM  Show Profile
So fun to see and hear what all of you are doing. I don't know what all is involved in starting up a local farmer's market, but since coming here, it is calling to be done. New project coming on... I know we're all distant, but it does feel like a farmer's market at this post. So friendly, so interesting, very enjoyable!

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  12:39:01 PM  Show Profile
MariaAZ, I'm so jealous. My tomatoes are just pea sized at this point. I'm with Alee; my mouth is watering just looking at them!

Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  3:48:19 PM  Show Profile
If we lived closer, Alee & Lisa, I'd be more than happy to share the bounty! Mom's been sharing with the neighbor, but these 6 bushes are so productive that I think I'm going to make ketchup! When I was a little girl, I remember Mom making ketchup one year. I didn't care for it in the beginning because it didn't taste like storebought, but once the commercial stuff was gone, Mom didn't buy anymore. Being the ketchup lover I was (ketchup sandwiches... hard to believe I ate 'em but I loved them back then!) I grit my teeth and forced down the homemade stuff.

Then a funny thing happened; it started tasting GOOD. By the time the homemade stuff was gone, I was begging Mom to make more. Unfortunately, it was the only batch she ever made. I think 35+ years is long enough between batches ;)

Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  06:52:59 AM  Show Profile
My blue lake pole beans are just starting to come up. My little tomatoes are finally established and look like they are starting to grow. My onions are doing good and so is the head lettuce. I also did some weeding and found I had some butterleaf lettuce volunteers so I am letting them grow too. Potatoes are doing their thing too. Pull Rhurbarb last weekend - oh my god huge amount. Cleaned it and cut it up and froze part of it and gave a big bunch to a freind that has a restaurant for them to make pies out of. I have gotten a few little strawberries off of my few plants. Blueberries will be turning blue soon and the raspberries and marion berries are all done flowering and are starting to develop berries. So things are just starting to hum along. Still waiting to see if the zuchinni and cucumbers are going to come up along with sunflowers and some of Aunt Jenny's red hollyhocks. When things are up a bit more I will have to post pictures.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  08:57:51 AM  Show Profile
Anne, what a wonderful garden! Rhubarb and all those berries! I wish we could grow those here.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Garden Gate: Previous Topic How is your garden doing? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page