Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Help! Late garden start Next Topic  

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  3:06:19 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone,
For all the ordinary reasons (too wet, to scheduled, too cold, etc.), I find myself at the end of June and all I have planted are tomatoes, summer broccoli, lettuce, peppers, and kolharabi. What else can I still plant in Iowa at the beginning of July to get some real food into this house? Thanks for your thoughts!

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  3:51:21 PM  Show Profile
You can plant herbs relativly easy all year round. Plant in big pots so you can bring em in when the weather turns cold again!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  4:52:22 PM  Show Profile
You can still plant lots of things Joy, although I admittedly am not sure of your first frost date. What comes to mind are radishes, spinach (shaded by something taller perhaps), green & yellow beans, peas if you give them lots of water, another planting of lettuces, chard, carrots, beets, turnip, etc. If your first frost is after the 30th of September, now is the time to start your fall brassicas (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage) transplants, too. Make sure you keep them in a place where they don't get blazing hot, July sun on them.
Just be sure to keep your soil well-watered while the seed germinates and gets a strong start.
Di
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  7:21:59 PM  Show Profile
Herbs are the only thing I have growing well at this point. I've never taken them in before. Tips please! i would love to do this.

It's not too late to plant peas/!? Wow! That would be wonderful. I can water water water.

Thanks Julie and Diane!

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  7:57:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I second the carrots. They grow really fast. And Zuchinni. Zuchinni will grow really fast! Speaking of which... I hope I can find some starts at the farmer's market on Saturday! I would love to make Zuchinni cookies this fall!

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

AliShuShu
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Alison
Charlotte NC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  05:42:47 AM  Show Profile  Send AliShuShu an AOL message  Send AliShuShu a Yahoo! Message
all of you gals are in a completely different part of the country from me... so i'm wondering what and when i should plant or start my fall plants/veggies. i'm in nc and it is hot as the blazes here now... we currently have corn, tomatoes, edamame, pawnee beans, sugar snap peas, okra, tomatoes, cukes, eggplant, several varities of squash as well as peppers (sweet & hot) and we're trying our hand at watermelons, cantelopes & gourds (for crafting). i've been told its too late to start potatoes, but not sweet potatoes. anybody out there have any advice for a southeasterner?
thanks!

Alison
I think that if ever a mortal heard the voice of God it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. ~F. Frankfort Moore, A Garden of Peace
Namaste'
www.shumusings.com
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  07:53:00 AM  Show Profile
Hey, Alison! Even though I am spending summers in southern France these days, I have gardened for years in Norfolk, VA, so I know what you mean about being "hot as blazes"!! If you like mini harvests, you could plant seeds of heat tolerant varieties of leaf lettuces every two weeks or so; also mid July try swiss chard, collards and spinach, which may need a row cover for the hottest weeks but really bounce back once the days get a bit cooler. And of course collards are sweeter after a light frost.

PS. Your garden sounds divine!!! Nance
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  7:22:28 PM  Show Profile
I planted my pole beans around this time last year (super wet spring last year) and they were ready to eat by labor day. Basil did really well, too.
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  08:05:20 AM  Show Profile
I'm so glad there is hope for somewhat of a harvest. More than I could have possibly thought possible.
Thanks!
Have a wonderful day!
Joy

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Help! Late garden start Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page