True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 27 2007 :  11:33:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi ladies!

Just wondering how your garden is doing? I think mine is about ready for me to harvest the first set of lettuce leaves! I am really excited but I think I will wait a week or so more just to let the plants get a bit bigger.

My carrots are flourishing! I have thinned them out once already, and I need to do it again. I also think I will plant secondary carrot seeds so I will have two crops. I spaced the rows WAY to far apart, but I think that will end up working out in my favor.

My peas are looking great. Some of them are over a 16 inches tall now! I really need to get some chicken wire for them to climb. Some of them aren't even 5 inches tall though so I am not quite sure why they aren't thriving like the ones just a few feet away.

My tomatoes are suffering. I only have 10 plants in the ground and I have tons more that I need to plant. I bought over 2 dozen. The ones in the ground are doing great, but I am just waiting for them to grow a bit. I am sure they have grown since they were planted, but it sure doesn't look like it!

I have had horrible sunflower fatalities. Very sad about that. I planted 5 so far, and only 2 have survived the local dogs running loose in the backyard and the roofer guy running over them with his truck and trailer.

Did I mention my roofer guy parked his truck ON TOP of my garden? my poor lettuce- I was sure it was dead!

Anyway back to the sunflowers- I have another dozen or so that are just little sproutlings that need to be planted. I think I am going to try a different approach this time and stake them so people hopefully won't demolish them. I hate to use an inorganic fertilizer, but I might give them a shot or two of miracle-grow to help them get established.

And my corn and squash still needs to be planted. I am hoping I haven't procrastinated too much! Before I can plant the corn and squash I need to dig another garden plot. I just need a sunny and dry day to do some garden work.

So that is pretty much my garden update- How is yours doing? Anything ready for early harvest yet?

Alee

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 27 2007 :  3:14:34 PM  Show Profile
Hi Alee! Sorry about your poor sunflowers!
I've been eating (and sharing) my lettuce greens for about a week now. Peas should be harvested next weekend! Yippee! Potatoes are flowering as we speak so two weeks from now, I can start digging for small potatoes, and let the other's keep growing. Carrots have sprouted, and I'm going to thin them this week. After one set of my peas goes kaput, I'm going to turn them under and plant my black eyed peas for drying and autumn harvest. Green beans are looking nice, and will probably jump a foot or so after this crazy heat wave! I think that's about it, but it's enough for a first time gardener. Keepin me hoppin'!

Good luck to you, Alee. Sounds like, despite some of your fatalities, you're doing just fine!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - May 27 2007 :  4:05:24 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Alee...I'm so sorry to hear about your garden getting parked on. You have been working so hard on that. Grr.

I have cukes as long as my thumb, one pea plant that somehow survived staying a seed all winter and came up volunteer...has a head start on those I planted, and has a pea pod already (might disappear while I'm out weeding, perks..) Harvested spinach last night (mmm). The rest is growing along. Just put some more mulch down to help...they raised our water rates, so I'm being extra careful and using all my best tidbits of eco-friendly gardening this year. Oh, delicata squash, I have two little squashlets...planted that one from seed I gathered last fall/winter. Kinda proud of that.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 27 2007 :  4:57:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Michelle-

Your garden sounds great! I am so glad it is coming along so nicely. We have had a good spring so far, but I am really looking forward to the warmer summer days that will really help our gardens grow!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - May 27 2007 :  5:35:09 PM  Show Profile
I envy your longer growing seasons in Eastern washington and Idaho. Most everything I've planted is just now beginning to perk up and do it's thing. I've never had any luck with tomatoes other than "cherry" The warm season just isn't long enough for us plus I have one spot on our property for the garden that gets sun until about 4:00. The plants in the green house are doing beautifully. I have 5 varieties of pumpkins ready to be planted at my mom's since she has full sun all day and more room. I decided to try a tomato in the green house and so far it's doing great. It's tripled in size in the three weeks that I put it in there and is already flowering. Bush beans are doing good as well as the spinach carrots and lettuce. I added extra flowers this year. zinnia, calendula, bachelor buttons, autumn beauty sunflowers and some lavender that I propagated last fall. I bought a hops vine on the way back from farm fair last year and I have it growing on a trellis that I made out of limbs from our property. I think that thing grows 2-3" a day. Can't wait to have the dried flowers from it. Well, I guess that's my ramblings about my garden!!

Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
http://18happyhens.blogspot.com
www.LaMargueriteFarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 27 2007 :  6:10:47 PM  Show Profile
My garden is just now getting going, too. We can't plant very soon here..has to be after Mothers'day for sure. I still have seeds to plant but we got our tomatoes and peppers and like that planted. And some flowers and herbs I had ready to plant.
What looks like a beat up old cabin in the background is my hay barn (mostly empty now waiting for new hay) and my big old apple tree..the best shade there is.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on May 27 2007 6:15:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 27 2007 :  8:43:19 PM  Show Profile
goin' .. growin' .. SLOW .. i've been away so much that i haven't tended it like i should.

we have some veggies pretty well established and a few herbs .. but are hurtin in the 'flower' department .. gonna' get to that THIS WEEK though! xoxo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 27 2007 :  8:44:32 PM  Show Profile
p.s. i did plant a ba-jillion sunflower seeds .. but wasn't here to water them .. i'll be home for the next couple weeks .. sooo .. i'm going to try again tomorrow! i did put in lots of annuals at my daughter's home in toledo last week though! xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 27 2007 :  8:54:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I found my sunflower seeds actually did better when I forgot to water them. I got their seedling pot nice and moist and then they got put outside. Their soil actually completely dried out and that is when the seedlings finally emerged about 5 days after when the packet said I should see them. Good luck with your sunflowers! I am hoping tomorrow will give me some sun so I can plant. If you don't hear much from me tomorrow- thats why!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 27 2007 :  9:24:40 PM  Show Profile
Mona got out this afternoon (a kid ..not one of mine..left the gate open I think) and tippy toed through the garden. We caught her quickly and she was nice enough to not eat or destroy any of the new plants ..just ate weeds around the edge and left big old footprints in the parts not planted yet. Whew! Could have been worse..I am glad we were home!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4186 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4186 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  04:26:45 AM  Show Profile
Some of my garden is just starting to come up. The peas, radish, guess that is it so far. 37 here again this morning. I do have tomatoes set out, so hope it does not freeze. Michele
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  10:55:53 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Jenny, love that rooster! Very fun. I didn't get my garden in until Mother's Day. Most of it I had in dixie cups started in Feb. inside. The spinach just comes up every year from a few I let go to seed. I'd love to get some daikon radish, sunchokes, and lovage going...I think I'm too late/too busy already this year...thank goodness for farmer's markets! Gas prices are helping me stay local, though. May have to get creative and do some produce swapping here...we don't really have a farmers market locally. *sigh* might be time to "plant the seeds" to get one going.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  11:30:15 AM  Show Profile
Well I am STILL having trouble posting photos, even with Gabes very detailed instructions! If you can't see the photo, you can see it on my blog. If you want to see my itty bitty tomato plants off in the distance, click on the photo to make it bigger. I'm using a Propex fabric like Mary Jane recommended this year, although I couldn't get the specific one in the book.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on May 28 2007 11:41:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  12:09:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Brenda-

The picture doesn't show here in the forum, but if you click on it, then we can see it! Your garden looks great!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  12:52:09 PM  Show Profile
Horribly
I started a bunch of heirloom tomatoes from seed.
My tomatoes are getting eaten by some animal. Everyday we have another little plant that has been gnawed to the ground. Since these are fairly exotic tomatoes, I can not run to the garden store and replace them. My asparagus crowns died. Half my lavender died too. I only plant things that you cant find at the market or are outragious to buy like black cherry tomatoes or french potatoes. We will be planting a bunch of heirloom potatoes too.... Hope they dont die. Even the lettuce mix isnt doing well. So we only have arugala for sandwiches.

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com
www.Botanical-Bath.com

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."

Edited by - BotanicalBath on May 29 2007 11:28:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  3:21:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh No Elizabeth! That is so disheartening! It sounds like you need some sort of pest control. Do you know what is munching on your garden?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  5:11:11 PM  Show Profile
Here in central Arizona our summer heat is starting, so the garden I planted at my folks' house is beginning to slow a bit. The Heartland tomatoes are ripening, looks like we should get a good 3-4 lbs per plant (not bad for bush tomatoes!) I tied up the Early Girl tomatoes, but I'm worried I planted them too late and they're going to fry in the sun. I've been neglecting the bush beans; after harvesting a few pounds I've not picked over the plants and now have several too-far-gone pods. Since they're hybrids I'm not going to save the seed.

Our only green zucchini plant produced a few fruits and then died at the crown so I pulled it. A couple days ago I harvested a yellow zucchini; those plants are doing OK despite the fact that I planted them a bit late. The pickling cucumbers are growing fine; I harvested three little ones that Mom used in a salad. And, I found a volunteer okra from last year that has two pods.

My pride and joy would have to be the tomatoes. Mom is absolutely loving going out to the garden and picking a tomato for her daily tomato and butter sandwich.

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  9:24:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Phew! I just got in from mowing our lawn (it hadn't been done in about 3 weeks!) We have a big section of sedge grass that I am trying to re-claim as our own and I got 6 more of my tomato plants planted. They are looking pretty sad and I am not sure if they will survive. I HAVE to ge the last 10 plants in the ground tomorrow at the latest.

I got to eat my first lettuce of the season though! I had two lettuce plants too close together so I picked the smaller one, washed it off with the hose and enjoyed right there in the garden! It tasted so good! Nice and fresh!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  05:20:51 AM  Show Profile
I finally got my garden in yesterday. I had put in the lettuce,spinach and peas a few weeks ago and yesterday I put in the cucumbers,beans,carrots,radishes,3 kinds of tomatoes and two kinds of sweet corn.We are putting in a new bed this year to try doing big pumpkins and ornamental corn. My strawberry beds are coming along nicely. I think we will have aton of friut this year. My asparagus was great. I got 4 or 5 pickings and now I am letting it go to seed again. The flowers I had started are all in but I want to pick up a few more to fill in some areas. So from now on all I will have to do is weed. I'll take some pictures when everything starts to grow. I can't wait for a fresh tomato!!!
Alicia

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

EmmJay
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Mary Jane
Amherst Nova Scotia
Canada
352 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  06:01:04 AM  Show Profile
I am so envious of you girls. I cannot put the garden in just yet, as there is still risk of frost. Around here, the planting is in June.....(Not too far away )
I have an eight foot table in the dining room that is covered in cucumbers and tomatoes. They were all started from seed and I have given several away. I will be doing some heavy canning when these are ready.....
MJ

"Thank GOD I'm a country girl"
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/EmmJay07/
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  10:53:31 AM  Show Profile
Memorial Day is the frost cutoff date here, so I planted my lettuce, spinach and pole beans yesterday. My garden is only about 6 x 3 feet. Trying a different corner of the yard this year, and I'm hoping it's sunny enough! I need to plant some other things in my pots...maybe next weekend.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  11:34:50 AM  Show Profile
My garden is doing well this year. We definitely have bad drought, but we have also had unusually cool nights and breezy days, and I have watered a lot. My tomatoes are almost to picking stage, and my sugar snap peas are still giving off peas, and I have had very few pests! Hope it continues that way until my tomatoes are done. And also, the blueberries this year will be a bumper crop! Love it! Green peppers are on the vine, too, and I have a few cucumber plants I just planted. They are getting their secondary leaves now and starting to "crawl".

Oh, and Jenny, you sure grow your roosters big out west! :)

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on May 29 2007 11:37:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  12:36:55 PM  Show Profile
Well, I am all bummed out. I was really tired last night and went to bed early, depending on the DH and DC to cover the tomatoes. Guess they were tired too, cause no cover. When I got up this morning at 5:00 a.m., the temp was 20 degrees. I didn't even go check. I know what I'm going to find.

Oh well.....you don't live in Wyoming to garden, but since you do, you may as well try. :o}

www.taylorscountrystore.etsy.com

http://sheronesgarden.tripod.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  7:08:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sherone-

I am so sad that your crop got frozen! I have been there a few times!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  9:59:07 PM  Show Profile
Alee,
I feel your pain, my sunflowers normaly do very well, but I planted them in a different location in the yard this year & they are getting eating to death by the slugs! Of the 12 seeds I planted I ony have 3 that made it past the 3ft high marker, the rest are struggling @ 12" & the leaves are being snacked on by pesky slugs, oh if only my turtle could climb, she would make a good meal out of them.
My moonflowers are also sluggish this year but my gourds, blackberries & grapes are doing terrific, I've been snacking on the blackberries all week.
Lost all my avacados to the freeze, have a small crop of almonds & apricots.
My pineapple guava is growing like gangbusters.
My cala lilys are all blooming too! The Bearded Iris are spent & my Lilys of the Nile are opening up as are my hydrengas. Butterfly bush is healty but no flowers.
And I can always count on my roses & lavender to bloom like crazy & they are!
That's how my little "Garden of Weedin' "is doing.

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
www.katmom4.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  12:53:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Grrr! I am down to one sunflower! I carefully mowed around my two remaining ones and hand pulled the grass surrounding them. The next day I went out and one of them had been beheaded! The leaves on top were just gone but the stem was still there! I am not sure how hardy sunflowers are for surviving a beheading, so I am going to just assume they are gonners. I am going to dig a trench and make it painfully obvious that I WANT these things to grow there- plus my neighbor with the dog that runs all over the place is moving so hopefully my next set will survive. Poor sunflowers! They will be the only shade for my back yard! I _need_ them to grow!

Alee
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Garden Gate: Previous Topic How is your garden doing? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page