Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  10:52:04 PM  Show Profile
I read that the nasty noisy cicada's are coming back to the midwest. I read four states Indiana, which is where I live and Illinois and I can't remember the other two. They were just here in 2004 so I don't know what's up with them coming back. They said to expect them to be here between Tuesday and June 1st. The last time the noise was so bad you couldn't even sit outside and carry on a conversation. It was horrible. The ground crunched when you walked. I'm really bummed about these nasty things.

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

www.mikkijo.etsy.com

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  11:28:35 PM  Show Profile
eww..please tell my one of those other states ISN"T Utah..haha

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  05:32:36 AM  Show Profile
I hate those things!! I thought they weren't supposed to be back until 17 years and we just had them a couple of years ago. They fly in your hair and stick like glue. Ugly, red eyed, bug eyed things. I just can't stand them. Can you tell? lol. When I went out to mow, I had on my big straw hat and it was covered. The stupid things even flew down the front of my shirt. Yuk, yuk and more yuk. Gives me the shivers just thinking about them.

May God bless those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  06:16:41 AM  Show Profile
I don't remember things like Cicadas in Los Angeles where I lived as a little girl so when I went to Japan to visit family it was the first time I have ever heard them. I thought they were nice but I'm sure I went during a time when they weren't over run with them. I think GA has them but everytime I tell DH I think they are out he just laughs and says that's a cricket. I guess I'm a pretty sad excuse for a countrygirl. :)

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  06:38:31 AM  Show Profile
A couple of years ago we had our round of Cicadas in the area where I live. I've never seen anything like it before. For about a month, all you heard was the buzz...buzz....din of these bugs and they were all over the place! The funny thing was that my area was the only one in my state that had them. You would drive down a major highway and not hear a thing, then all of a sudden you would hear that strange sound, which sounded like the aliens have landed. Weird!
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  06:44:41 AM  Show Profile
I am so clueless. I thought we had them every year here. Aren't they the guys who leave their shells on the pine tree bark?
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  07:19:13 AM  Show Profile
I'm not sure (no expert), but I think there is a type that come out every 17 years...the ones that swarm the place. Then there is the type that you see occasionally every summer..the empty shells you see. ?????
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  08:31:05 AM  Show Profile
Here's a little info on them for anyone that's interested...it's nice to read that they're not something that'll harm crops or anything of the sort, just more of an annoyance to people. http://web.extension.uiuc.edu/state/newsdetail.cfm?NewsID=5588

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  3:38:44 PM  Show Profile
Here in central Arizona we have cicadas every year. This last year there didn't seem to be as many, but we've been encouraging birds to our yard, so it could be that they kept the cicadas at bay.

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Cicada's are coming back Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page