Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  12:40:45 PM  Show Profile
I've toyed with writing for years now... I used to be a reporter and before that, an English teacher. As an avid reader, I've always wanted to write really good books. I've got several starts in my file cabinets, and about 2/3s of a Southern mystery in the computer.

But recently I've been reading lots of kids' books, mostly because of my 7 year old daughter. We read the Magic Tree House ones, and I pick up a lot on my own. I just finished reading a time-travel called "George Washington's Socks" and I was amazed at how a good story, even one for kids, can still entertain adults.

So I'm thinking of working on a time-travel series for kids, mainly for the ages in grades 3-5. A friend who writes non-fiction science books for kids said his agent told him that those are hot, that series are hot, and that kids are eating up series chapter books.

So, who else here writes? Anyone? Anyone want to write?

On another board I used to visit, they called the BHAGs... Big Hairy Audicious Goals... Now I have another one! :)

Kim in NC

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  12:59:34 PM  Show Profile
I don't write. I always wanted to and like you have a few starts in a drawer. But your friend is right about the series books. My daughter and all of her friends have all devoured the Harry Potter series. When they were younger, they all read the entire Goosebumps series. They are now all into the Fruits Basket series. If one of them gets the next book before the others, they fight over who gets to read it next! There have been other series in the past that they all read, too. I just can't remember the name of them right now. They also seem to enjoy trilogies and sequel books.

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

We come from Nature, we go back to Nature; health & happiness in between requires intimacy with Nature.
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  1:02:17 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Kim! What a resume you have! I am also an avid reader, and would love to write and actually be published, like Aunt George. Our local public radio station hosts a "Books of Summer" contest every year where you write in a summary of the book you have read. They read one every morning on air, and a neighbor actually heard mine being read, and I ended up winning second prize. I bet there are others like me on the farmsite who would love it if you would give a tutorial on "how to" get started. Anyway, best of luck to you in the writing arena. Nance
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  1:05:48 PM  Show Profile
I write for children. But have been on hiatus from it for a while. It is a really tough arena. Have a novel, PB, multiple magazine stories, poetry published....well, the publisher for the PB and the novel folded right before mine went to the printer....big sigh......

Good Luck, Just right the story and revise later....get the story out, don't over criticize your work

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
http://auntgeorge.etsy.com

Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  2:03:48 PM  Show Profile
I write, not professionally, but would love to publish someday. One thing that really helped me was to take part in National Novel Writing Month. http://www.nanowrimo.org/ It takes place in November and your goal is to write a 50000 word novel in 30 days. It's not about quality - it's about quantity! Just getting you writing, plain and simple. Then you have til next november to edit and fiddle! Last year I finished a young adult novel about growing up on an 1840's farm in rural ontario. NaNo is great because there is a big community of people all writing at the same time - so any help you need - especially encouragement to keep writing- is availible.

Good luck with your writing- keep it up! I look forward to seeing your books on the shelves one day

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  3:46:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love writing. I have a novel/series idea that I have had since I was in Middle School. I have started and scraped it several times, and at one point I had a role playing story club (where you create a character and write short little "day in the life of" stories to post to the whole group) hosted off my website that was based on the story idea. I would love to get back into writing as I haven't been able to work on it for a long time and I think now that I am older I will be able to translate my dream story onto paper better.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  4:19:29 PM  Show Profile
I write and hope to be published one day. I'm currently writing three novels - all of them Christian fiction/romance. I'm currently focusing on a Christmastime book. I adore writing. One of my books is set in Yosemite National Park and the other one takes place in a cabin on the edge of Great Smoky Mountain National Park. I hope, SOMEDAY, that my books can pay the bills!! I use my blog as practice. Blogging is an excellent way to hone your skills.

check out my blog: http://catholiccountrygirl.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  07:28:11 AM  Show Profile
I'm a freelance writer. Up to this point, I have been doing primarily non-profit (read not for payment!) I'm hoping at some point that I will be able to write professionally as a career. I have been compiling chapters for a book for quite some time, but since it is my "...personal..." writing, I'm not certain what I'll do with it. It is so much easier for me to write on behalf of someone else because there are no emotional ties. ~ K

~ Kaylyn ~ (Living in Suburbia with a FARMGIRL Heart!)

My Cause: http://nickspavilion.blogspot.com/
My Life: http://vintageredhead.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  07:47:28 AM  Show Profile
I have done a little freelance writing - see www.farm-garden.com I have written for the Flower Gardener column.

I have also been fortunate enough to write a couple of short articles in the MJF magazines, and I would love to do more free lance writing. There is an online magazine written by another poster here named Tina Michelle.....she sometimes publishes free lance articles from other writers on this site, I think.

I, too, would love to write children's books, and I am all the time getting ideas. However, I have not found a way to get them published! Good luck to you on your venture and keep us posted. I would love to hear how it goes for you!

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  3:43:21 PM  Show Profile
I used to write a lot, in fact I took several college writing classes. However, I just don't have the willpower to finish anything! I actually started my blog as an excuse to get back into writing. I like the National Novel Writing idea. I did well in my writing classes because I HAD to produce written works, but with no accountability I just flounder.

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  8:20:00 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
I write but for enjoyment. I have written for a long time but not for any one or anything (other then classes, when I have work in them of course I write) All my English and Writing Professors want me to write and have pushed me toward being published, but I never have. For me writing is enjoyable and easy and fun, and I would like it to stay that way! IF I can do that and one day be published, that would be wonderful, but if not, I am happy writing here at home!
I write poems and stories and may write a series, but they are for my family, I will pass them on to my kids and have them as a series of stories for my children and grandchildren. My father has been published 3 times now and I did alot of work on his second book for him. Of course he wants me to write and tells me he will get my book published by his publisher if I write one, but I dont know, I love it so much and just wonder if the whole publishing part would suck the joy right out? So who knows...
But yes I do write and LOVE it very much! The only thing I think I may love more is reading, but is a close race! I wish the very very best to all those who want to write or who want to be published!!! I do so hope your dream comes true and that it is a wonderful blessing to your life!! Hugs to all my fellow writers! And of course...
Hugz to All!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  8:43:47 PM  Show Profile
I write but mainly for myself. I have written for other posts on horse sites and have been told I have knack for it. Also an English instructor kept some of my writings for classes in the future.

My mom had a PhD and Teacher of the Year twice and believe you me, I know my grammar!! (Well, MOST of the time!!...don't ask me about math tho...)

Now I have my journal in my laptop and I like to write short little notes to myself about this and that. When I was paid to write, all of a sudden, I couldn't think of a thing to say!! So it's better for me to just do it for the fun and joy of it.

Also, I have always wondered why I like to write and come to find out, my grandmother wrote a column for a paper for years! One of them, thar ancient family secrets that everyone thinks the whole family knows about but in reality, no one really knows, y'know??

Winona

Don't sweat the small stuff...

http://goneridingagain.bravehost.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic who writes? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page