QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  8:18:33 PM  Show Profile
I am really wanting a dairy cow and have no idea where to look!
I raise dairy goats now, but would love a cow for all that gorgeous cream.
Is it better to get a calf and raise it yourself? Is there a preferable breed for a small ranch/homestead?

Also, money is an issue, like with every other family raising a brood of children
Anyone out there have advice for me?

www.homesteadblogger.com/TheQueenofQuiteAlot/
www.freewebs.com/muckbootsnaprons/
www.freewebs.com/dailywalkinfarm/

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  10:23:46 PM  Show Profile
I believe that Aunt Jenny is one you'll want to "hear" from (Jenny????) and I know that several other farmgirls have cows. I am excited like you - and I am also getting Jenny's beautiful cow, Mona's, new calf for my own milk cow. I'm with you - sometimes what a farmgirl needs is her own cow. I don't have the experience with cows, however, to be very helpful to you, but I AM excited for you!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  10:27:53 PM  Show Profile
A lot of the small farms around here have the dexters. They give good milk supply to be so small.

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

www.mikkijo.etsy.com

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  10:31:38 PM  Show Profile
I really wanted to get a calf to raise for my first milk cow, but couldn't find one ANYWHERE near here. I talked to every cow person I could find, followed up leads and was nearly ready to give up when finally there was an ad on an internet site called KSL.com. It is all Utah, but maybe your state has something like that too. I found Mona as a bred heifer. Not usually the best situation. I think an experience cow is usually better, unless you get a perfect cow like I did. haha. My best advice is to NOT give up. I think everyone in our county knew I was looking for a jersey cow. Be sure to tell anyone you know at the feed store..even goat people too..I had dairy goats (Saanens) before the cow.
The only breed I ever considered are Jerseys. It was the dream I have always had and HAD to be a jersey. I have not been dissapointed at all. There is usuallly a quart of cream to each gallon of milk at least (that rises, still lots in the milk too!) and at peak Mona gave over 6 gallons a day last year. With friends buying the extra milk for their "pets" to drink, and selling her calf it pays for the hay and grain. Mona is small enough that I can handle her myself, but still seemed huge after having goats..even big goats. I am not a small person but even though she has still grown this last year she still respects me. I havn't been sorry even once that I got her.
Good luck..I hope you find your dream cow. I am so glad that Mona's calf this year is going to Libbie. We are only an hour apart and I will get to see her. She is adorable!!!!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
USA
865 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  09:43:24 AM  Show Profile
hhhmmmmm..I'll keep dreaming. My husband looked at me like I grew horns of my own when I brought it up. ")

I won't give up entirely though, he he.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  10:23:34 AM  Show Profile
No...don't give up..my husband did the same thing...for years..it is truly easier for me to milk one cow than two goats ..and I did that for years! Plus..those cow eyes are just so sweet!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
USA
865 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  12:57:45 PM  Show Profile
I agree...and all that yummy cream!

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  2:21:46 PM  Show Profile
No, Dalyn - don't give up! I got the "you're crazy" look, too - for quite a while - He'll get over it. I am so excited, too, to be getting Jenny's, well, Mona's calf - that way I'm hoping she'll come with advice from Jenny, too!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
USA
865 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  3:48:36 PM  Show Profile
okay, I'll keep hoping.

Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  7:56:47 PM  Show Profile
Mikki, do you have a Dexter? Hubby's dream bovine would be a Dexter. I never thought of them as a milk cow. I wonder how much milk they give? As much as I love Jerseys, 6 gallons of milk a day is an AWFUL lot for 2 people, one who isn't too thrilled with milk (me); I'd have to learn cheesemaking really quick!

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4274 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4274 Posts

Posted - May 23 2007 :  05:08:08 AM  Show Profile
Dalyn, there are many ways you can look at this. If you get a calf you have to wait 2 years before she will have a calf. But you will be raising her, and training, so you should have a very friendly animal. A heifer or cow that is bred, nine months to have that calf. A just fresh cow, instant milk. Price always is a factor for me. I got Summer as a cow, and it is unbeliveable how good she has been. Maybe it is that Jersey bred. Summer came from a dairy farm. She came to a beef farm. She is out with the beefers on pasture, but she had a 12x12 pen for winter. I used the boys grooming chute, they had made for the show beef, for a milking stall. It has a stantion type front, and works well. Summer went from a pipeline line milking system, to a surge bucket milker. Again she never kicked, or anything. I have been able to lead her, she was never broke to lead, but she does well. I either use a rope halter, or just her neck strap. She was used to a tie stall barn. I keep the neck strap on her, and lead her by that most of the time. I am 5'11, so I am bigger then she is! You can control the amount of milk given, somewhat by the amount of grain you give her. But you will still have lots of milk. Trying to use up all that everyday gets overwhelming. 4 different families get milk from us. Cheese making is not hard, but it is time consuming,for some cheeses. I do alot of colby, takes 70 minutes of stirring often.
So whatever you choose, good luck. Michele
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 23 2007 :  10:41:34 AM  Show Profile
WE have alot of famlies who get milk from us too..one who gets milk daily have 12 kids!
Michele..I am dying to try colby cheese this year...so far I can make good mozzarella, ricotta and cream cheese.
I think you are right..Jerseys tend to be a sweet breed. Mona wasn't broke to lead or even be handled when I got her..I had her for almost 4 months when she calved and had handled her alot by then..and she was just perfect. I think any good cow, if you really spend time with her, gets easier for sure. I use a surge milker now too...wonderful!! I am still milking her out by hand most of the time right now..since she calved this time..just easier until that first swelling goes down..then I will use the surge again only. I love it.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - May 23 2007 :  10:59:24 PM  Show Profile
Ok gals, what is a surge milker & where do you get one?
This cow talk is making me wonder....goats, cow?
We're hoping to have our place fenced by fall for one or the other.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & Herbalist
www.herbalmomma.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4274 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4274 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  04:17:50 AM  Show Profile
Surge milker is just one brand of milker. My dad used this and his dad before him. It hangs under the cow via a strap. You will need a vacumn pump to run this. My husband rigged up my dad's old vacumn pump for me. Look on ebay or any milking web site, and you can see what these look like. Jenny, more power to those hands of yours, for milking Mona by hand!!! Colby cheese is easy, but takes time. I have been using a cultered buttermilk for the culture, and of course you would need rennet. But I follow the directions in Ricci Carrols (sp?) cheese making book. I just recently got a cheese press, which works wonderfully. I did order mesophilic starter, but have not had time to get that going yet, to use in the cheese. You can make string cheese out of you Mozz. by just making a long rope out of it. Then you peel it apart and enjoy. I have made a wonderful sour cream too. Recipe is 2 cups cream, 2T powdered milk, and 2 T cultered buttermilk. I let it sit 7-10 hours in my oven, (has a pilot light) About 95 degrees, and when thick refrigerate. Also when you do make colby, don't store it in plastic. This will cause it to sour faster. Wrap it in cheese cloth. I just found out that fact from a guy that his parents had a cheese factory. It does cause a rind to form, that we cut off. I have not aged any cheese yet, we just eat it fresh. Fresh cheese lasts about a week or so. Though that was when I stored it in plastic. Since then it has not lasted long enough to know. Have fun Michele
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
USA
865 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  06:53:55 AM  Show Profile
I make alot of cheeses with my goat milk. Feta is my favorite to do because you can make it look SO pretty in olive oil and herbs in a nice jar. They make great gifts tied up in a ragged little ribbon or some raffia.
Feta freezes very well too, so I am eating feta made last year right now.

I have the cheese press (all ss) and it works very well, though I have never had a small enough cheese to go into the smallest tube ")
Ricki Carrol's book and the 4 little booklets are a very good investment. The 4 booklets are all you really need to get a good start and they come when you buy the video- which is well worth every penny!

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Dairy Cow Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page