Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Diary-free finger foods
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Diary-free finger foods Next Topic  

greentea
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Alicia
Wisconsin
USA
76 Posts

Posted - May 18 2007 :  10:16:16 AM  Show Profile  Send greentea an AOL message  Send greentea a Yahoo! Message
My 9 month old is the only baby in his daycare who hasn't been given the greenlight for dairy by his doctor. He's old enough he can eat figer foods from the lunch of the day. But, we live in wisconsin, so lunch almost always has dairy in it. YEsterday, toasted cheese, today mac and cheese.

He doesn't HAVE to eat lunch with the other kids, but he likes to sit up in a highchair and eat with them. So, I've been trying to figure out some finger food packed lunches I can send with him. Today I sent him with a half of a bananna. I might pick up some whole grain grahm crackers. I made him some muffins. At home I'll give him veggies, egg yokes...but at school, it's a little harder to figure out things that he can take with him.

Any ideas?

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - May 18 2007 :  10:28:53 AM  Show Profile
How about making a grilled soy cheese & cutting into strips for him to eat? Easy to handle & no dairy.

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~
Go to Top of Page

greentea
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Alicia
Wisconsin
USA
76 Posts

Posted - May 18 2007 :  10:35:51 AM  Show Profile  Send greentea an AOL message  Send greentea a Yahoo! Message
Do you all give your babies soy? I hesitate to give him to much...though he'd love to be able to have some 'cheese' with everyone else. And it's protien.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 18 2007 :  11:49:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I was allergic to dairy growing up. Sometimes it is hard because there is dairy derivitives in almost everything commercially on the market. Here are some of the things I ate:

Teddy Graham crackers
Fruits and veggies
Jello with or without Cool Whip
homemade fruit roll ups (apple leather)
Rice Cakes with margarine and cinnamon sugar or Honey after a year old

At 9 months old, I am sure you are more upset about him not being able to have dairy than he is. Growing up it was only really an issue when others got to have "treats" that I could not have like ice cream and such. And since now they have some great soy ice creams- he probably won't even miss out on that! I even drank a soy baby formula until middle school because that was the only "milk" I could have and at the time (living in Wyoming) finding a regular soy milk was unheard of.

With you home baked goodies- you son probably won't mind not being able to eat cheese. I know sometimes when my mom would make home baked goods that I would take to school- the other kids were jealous instead of the other way around. One time my mom made Zuchinni cookies that were absolutly fabulous! Yum!

Good luck!

Alee
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Diary-free finger foods Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page