Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Apron Sew-A--Long...read and then move to the new
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Apron Sew-A--Long...read and then move to the new Next Topic
Page: of 133

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  1:56:29 PM  Show Profile
Bev, when you make your double sided aprons do you put anything in between the layers to hold them together or do they lay pretty flat, with the pockets in the middle there, without bunching when you move around in them?

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  1:57:24 PM  Show Profile
Hey Amy,
Love the apron and the "beginner writing" fabric! What part of Atlanta are you in? I'm about 100 miles northwest of Marietta.

Stephanie

www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz

Edited by - queenofdreamsz4u on Aug 16 2007 1:58:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  2:40:14 PM  Show Profile
jess
Glad you got it so quickly- have fun!!
Let us see your version!!!
Autumn

quote:
Originally posted by smoothiejuice

Oh Steph...do ya want my enlargement...i think i am done with it!!

And how irresponsible of me...Thank you to Autumn...Deep South Mama...i got it today and cannot waitto tweek it!!! Thank you so much!!...jess

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  2:53:59 PM  Show Profile
AW that's a sweet lil girl's apron!

Georgann, I'll not have you putzing around with my errands when you're trying to
learn a new job!! Besides, I can always go to Hobby Lobby this week, as McCall's are
$1.99 thru Sat. I'll get my apron fix that way~LOL You're a sweetheart for offering, you know that?! hugs, Bonne

ps: here's a set of online how-to videos for beginners on apron-making:

http://www.expertvillage.com/interviews/apron-making.htm

Edited by - Bonne on Aug 16 2007 3:20:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  3:19:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
[red]Elizabeth[red/]....I don't have any problems with the aprons hanging straight or laying flat....there is nothing between the layers.....but they are joined on all sides and around the neck.

[red]Steph[red/]....great idea...the pockets you suggested.

Keep Smiling.....Bev
Check out my shoppe at www.honeybeez.etsy.com
www.beehavenacres.blogspot.com , www.beehavenmaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  3:20:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
I played a bit this afternoon.....
one pocket has a fabric bow and the other has a yo yo flower and stem and leaf applique.

Keep Smiling.....Bev

Edited by - Bee Haven Maven on Aug 16 2007 3:21:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  3:27:13 PM  Show Profile
very nice I love Roses! They make me feel like I'm part of an English Garden..

Stephanie

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

Naomi Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

1563 Posts

Naomi
Sunshine State
USA
1563 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  3:30:10 PM  Show Profile
All of the aprons posted the past few days that I havent commented on til now...How very cute! I love em all! So cheerful! bright and colorful! :P

~Naomi~

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be-Abraham Lincoln
Check out my blog:http://thebellamodiste.blogspot.com/
and my Etsy store: www.shesewsbytheseashore.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  3:38:38 PM  Show Profile
Bev's an alien
How else could she whip those out so fast?!?

http://www.bonne1313.homestead.com/spiritspace.htmlSoap
http://groups.msn.com/spiritspaceCrafting Group
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  3:45:41 PM  Show Profile
Bonne,

RITFLOL LOL!! I have wondered about what Enchanted Place she enters into when she starts sewing So quick, beautiful and well done!

'Apron Faerie" for sure!

Stephanie

Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  4:41:05 PM  Show Profile
That is my favorite! I love the roses on that darker bkgrnd!
Beautiful work-
Autumn

I will try to overcome my fear of bias tape but I think I'd rather
learn to barter for an apron!

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  5:00:28 PM  Show Profile
LOL....Poor Autumn....you can do it girlfriend....just get small pieces of fabric and practice!!

Bev....you are related to Samantha from Bewitched for sure......just twitch your nose and ***poof**** APRON!!!

Love the latte' and roses!! Two of my favorite things!!!

Oh, and I was just talking to my friend and she is so gung ho on the tea bar......it is getting closer and closer!!!

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
http://auntgeorge.etsy.com

"Made With Love"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  5:06:51 PM  Show Profile
Autumn,
Here is another idea for you. If you would like a nice edge to your apron without bias tape, try lying some large rick rack on the right side of your garment with the edge even with the edge of the apron. Sew it down and then fold it out and press. Then top stitch it on the front catching in the edge on the back...Voila' nice clean edge

Another way is to do a reversible apron and stitch the two sides together leaving part of it open so you can turn it and top stitch it closed. Then just embellish the heck out of it!!

Just some suggestions on making an apron when one has an allergy to bias tape!! Hope this helps a little!!

G

"Made With Love"
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  5:19:43 PM  Show Profile
that is exactly why i started making reversible aprons!!!
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  5:22:06 PM  Show Profile
You're so funny! I AM allergic to bias tape!!!
I already figured out to make the apron reversible- cuts out the whole issue and I still get an apron!
Tks for all the tips.
If I ever get off this computer I might get an apron made!!!
Autumn

Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  5:41:14 PM  Show Profile
When I designed the doggie diaper pattern for my Miss Morgan I was faced with a bias tape around the tail opening. You talk about enough to twist your brain...I'm talking about a circle the size of a quarter or so that had to be encased.

I'm with Jess, I love a reversible apron. Or else just give a nice narrow double hem and then attach the embellishment to dress it up if it's not reversible.

I love the "tea aprons". They just define a woman's inner child I think. Especially the delicate ones with ribbon ties...just love them!

Autumn, you better kick that "spirit of fear's" behind and tell that Bias tape that YOU are in charge and not it....
WooHoo!!

Stephanie

Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  7:03:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
Now you guys know my secret....fairies!!

Georgann I am so going to be there for the opening of your tea room....and I will be wearing just the right apron for the occasion! But seriously, you had better let Hancock Fabrics know that you need some time off next june for our farmgirl retreat....I am counting on you to help me plan.....you are in charge of afternoon tea each day....we can do it by theme......should be a ton of fun! I am counting on your creativity for this idea!

Now, about that bias tape...start with the larger size and get good at that before you even attempt that little skinny size. When you are ready to use the skinny stuff....let me know and I will send you your own little sewing fairie!

I got a yo yo maker in the mail today....boy does that make the job easy!!!! Wow! All it takes is the right tools for the job.

Well I can't wait for tomorrow....more time to sew! And I have another apron on the cutting table....oh yea...and by the way, my sewing room looks like a tornado hit!

Keep Smiling.....Bev

Edited by - Bee Haven Maven on Aug 16 2007 7:06:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  7:20:33 PM  Show Profile
Bias tape..... I think no pins work best... and let the tape bend for you. I also think a zipper foot makes it easier. Once you get good at the 1/4 " stuff.... then try the 1/8" it is a lot harder to get it straight espically when you have 2 layers of fabric going in to it.

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com www.Botanical-Bath.com www.BotanicalBath.etsy.com http://botanicalbath.blogspot.com/

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  7:35:30 PM  Show Profile
Boy, I'm not able to get on for one day (computer glitz) and low and behold - WOW!!!! Look what I missed! Everyone had such darling aprons to look at. I am getting so inspired. Have to get some more material for some more aprons.

Kiddy aprons - that's on my list to make for four of my granddaughters as part of their Xmas gift. Found a pattern on-line and just thought it would make up real cute as a gift.

You all are so inpirational. Aunt George and Bev, do you ever sleep? You guys just come up with the most darling apron designs.

Peace and love,
Annie
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  8:02:08 PM  Show Profile
ATTENTION:::::::Corney CONTEST::::::::::VISIT MY BLOG!!!

When you go to my blog, don't forget to leave a comment after you take the poll!!

I highlighted the comment "button" in blue text below the body of the message. The poll is anonymous, so I won't know you took the poll. So please leave a comment!!

It is a corn related basket of goodies. I'll post a photo when the basket is ready to be seen!!

"Made With Love"

Edited by - Aunt George on Aug 16 2007 8:31:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  8:25:44 PM  Show Profile
Okay ladies, you are having way too much fun. Hmmm I could try and describe what I did since I am digitallly challenges as ? was that was Bev said, sorry no camera here, drat it. Someday I will have to give you a tour.
Repurposing making aprons is kinda fun. I used a skirt that was way to small, black fabric with white flowers, ruffle around the bottom edge with a little piece of ribbon. This was already done, I just ripped out a zipper and a seam, hemmed along those two edges, added a black and white striped wide gross grain ribbon for the ties and walla....apron. DD loves it, might just be a present for her. Using granddaughters skirt that ripped and making into 2 aprons for them. They love aprons and take off with moms, put them on for when they are cleaning their rooms. Their Christmas presents will be aprons for them and their dollies. Smeday mabye I better sew them, gonna make them a Christmas set and give them to them early.
I love seeing all the aprons, gosh you guys can whip them out quick....
Carol Sue

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  8:36:49 PM  Show Profile
Ok Ladies, this is not for the faint of heart. I was browsing Etsy's plethora of
aprons and lo and behold found this "unusual" style. Somebody has a sense of humor~LOL

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=72292&order=§ion_id=&page=3
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  8:43:24 PM  Show Profile
Okay, not sure what I think of that one LOL.....I think a cute shorty see through one would be more fun!!!!!!!
Carol Sue

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  8:47:09 PM  Show Profile
okay those are hilarious..my great grandma was a great crafter and one christmas for some ridiculous craft booth she made these pantyhose santas...and if you lifted the beard...voila!! Of course, as a 10 yr old I thought it was strange, now I find it to be hilarious!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  9:05:00 PM  Show Profile
EEEeeeewwwww. I'm sorry, but I just can't abide these....argh.....She has sold 51 of them though at $30 a pop, so there are alot of folks who think they are fabulous....just not my thing.

G

"Made With Love"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 133 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Apron Sew-A--Long...read and then move to the new Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page