Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Apron Sew-A--Long...read and then move to the new
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Apron Sew-A--Long...read and then move to the new Next Topic
Page: of 133

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  06:21:01 AM  Show Profile
bias tape to me seems to take a lot of patience ad pinning at first...and sew slowly! I dont like the super wide, it seems to buckle...and bunch, but the approx...1/2 " double fold seems to work well for me...just go slowly it takes some practice. I have been working with my daughter on bias tape this summer, and it is very tricky. Practice practice practice...and you still may get frustrated at ttimes!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  06:39:57 AM  Show Profile
Here are a few things I do. I serge the entire edge that I am going to bind. This helps prevent pull off of the tape. And Jessica is correct. Go Slowly and make sure that the edge of the fabric is up next to the fold of the bias tape. You want that bias tape to grab deep into the fabric. Next if you have curves you are going around I usually cut my bias tape to the length that I need plus a couple of inches to work with and then lay the tape around the edges and press it so that the curves have a memory in the bias tape. That prevents the puckering around the curves and just as you are going into the curves. You can always pin the tape on after pressing and take out the pins as you go along before hitting it with the machine needle.

BUT having said all of that, I am truly NOT the bias queen. Bev uses lots of bias tape perhaps she has more hints tricks and tips!! I'm all ears!!

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
http://auntgeorge.etsy.com

"Made With Love"
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  06:47:14 AM  Show Profile
well..maybe between all of us on here we can master bias tape...i still have trouble. i made this one and havent shared it. a very simple one from maryjanes book...and ofcourse its mini because i can no longer use a fabric without making a mini!
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  07:33:45 AM  Show Profile
Bev!! Hey , it works! Don't fix it if it ain't broke!! LOL
Now I love this one~the unconventional mix of stripes and floral.
I'm going to steal that yo-yo pocket design...........

http://www.bonne1313.homestead.com/spiritspace.htmlSoap
http://groups.msn.com/spiritspaceCrafting Group

Edited by - Bonne on Aug 16 2007 07:34:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  07:40:00 AM  Show Profile
dont you just love love love embellishing with yo yos!
Go to Top of Page

nitere
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Amy
Hickory NC
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  10:32:45 AM  Show Profile
as for the bias tape...i bought some clover bias tape makers and my life is so much easier! they are very easy to use and since you are making the tape out of your own fabric, it is not nearly as stiff as the ready-made kind, which i think makes it easier to use, especially on curves. also, you get the freedom of making whatever kind of tape you want (color and pattern). i highly recommend them.
here is a link...

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog_old.jsp?CATID=24991&PRODID=11900

Elizabeth-i love the cupcake aprons! just my type of fabric!

http://www.buraellen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  10:43:36 AM  Show Profile
Holy Cow~I wanted to browse some more aprons, so
went to Etsy and did a search for "Apron".
2,567 aprons!!
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  10:51:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
I second the motion...the clover bias tape maker is great! I have no real secrets for using bias tape. I don't use pins, but I do sew slowly and keep jammin the fabric into the fold of the tape. Practice, Practice, Practice!

OMG!!! I went to JoAnn's today...they know me....asked if all the fabric was for aprons...I am sure they think I have lost my mind!

Jess, so glad you guys had a blast! Do the straps of that apron button to the buttons on the corner of the skirt??? Very cute!

And Georgann....very punk!! You will definitely be a hit. I think you should make a whole wardrobe of aprons....everyone will be excited just to see what you wear to work each day!

E- I bought fabric that reminds me of you, today.....aprons to follow......

Now, off to chain myself to my sewing machine.....not really.

Keep Smiling.....Bev
Check out my shoppe at www.honeybeez.etsy.com
www.beehavenacres.blogspot.com , www.beehavenmaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  11:11:18 AM  Show Profile
Bev,

You are my Apron Hero! What a beauty it is!! Yes, I see you figured out the "color thingy". I like using the color so no one will miss out when I'm talking to more than one person in a reply

Be back later, Stephanie

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  11:23:53 AM  Show Profile
Hey Bev,

I just noticed your remark about maybe using another apron design. I think you have perfected this one and can make it look unique by using different fabrics and trims. If these are selling good for you then "I wouldn't try to fix something that isn't broke".

I like the style because it allows you the flexibility to add your color, texture (trims), pockets, etc.

One idea I have in my mind is to add a small pocket on the bib area the size to hold a "cell phone" or "MP3 player" or a small double pocket on the bib with a vertical seam to hold both!

I know so many of us have both of those gadgets.

Just a thought that may broaden your clientele.

Talk to ya later, Stephanie

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  11:31:36 AM  Show Profile
Jess,

I love your apron!! Which Mary Jane book is this pattern in?? And I want to know the same thing, do the shoulder straps button to the sides of the apron?

Where is everyone?? I know I missed y'all early this morning. I'm a night owl so sometimes I'm just getting in bed when y'all are having your morning conversation.

Let me know about the book and the apron, OK?

Edited by - queenofdreamsz4u on Aug 16 2007 11:33:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  11:50:40 AM  Show Profile
Bev and Stephanie!!!
yes...idea book life book...you may need to make it bigger..it is to fit a 32"waist when enlarge 400%...i think page 220/221.

it goes over your head...and then buttons to the sides.

i do not like the size of the pockets they are too small...it needs bigger, and it needs a chest pocket and a place for a spoon.

if i make this one again it will be reversible as this fabric was kind of thin and did not feel very substantial, but was made to order, so not my choice.

Edited by - smoothiejuice on Aug 16 2007 12:01:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  11:59:46 AM  Show Profile
okay i took some pics of how it works... i was also an inch short on bias tape, and still need to figure that out...

Edited by - smoothiejuice on Aug 16 2007 12:00:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  12:14:54 PM  Show Profile
Hey Jess,

This is a re-design on one of the vintage patterns from around the 40's..Very cute....I've got to get the book now so I can make this apron.

The reversible ones are just great..get two totally different looks. I've got material set aside for half aprons right now. I like the little "Bitro sytle" half apron. I have a heck of a time making bibs to fit over (the girls) LOL so I gave up for now... And plus I'm only 5' 1" tall so I have to be careful with the length and too much ruffle.

But after seeing Bonne in that Apron where we can go download it I know I can work on making the bib fit me. Bonne made it fit her so I know I can make it fit me now.

Bonne,

What exactly did you do to make the bib lay flat arcoss your chest with the ruffly apron you made from the download?

Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  12:49:39 PM  Show Profile
Steph, I had to position the straps and pin them in the proper place(for me) whilst wearing the apron.
At first I just stitched them on and when I put it on they gapped funny, so I did the adjustment while wearing it. Same with the waistline darts.
I'm 5'7" by the way, so mine may look completely different on you~you just have to tug and adjust and pin until it suits.

http://www.bonne1313.homestead.com/spiritspace.htmlSoap
http://groups.msn.com/spiritspaceCrafting Group

Edited by - Bonne on Aug 16 2007 12:51:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  12:51:37 PM  Show Profile
Bev...I just got my mail...thank you so much you dear sweet swwet lady!! Giving me all kinds of warm fuzzies!!! I love it all! Thanks Again...jess
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  12:53:04 PM  Show Profile
Oh Steph...do ya want my enlargement...i think i am done with it!!

And how irresponsible of me...Thank you to Autumn...Deep South Mama...i got it today and cannot waitto tweek it!!! Thank you so much!!...jess
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  12:56:53 PM  Show Profile
Oh Jess,

How exciting! Yes, I'll take your enlargement I'll draft me one and mail it back to you, Ok?

Stephanie

Edited by - queenofdreamsz4u on Aug 16 2007 12:57:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  1:02:04 PM  Show Profile
no no dont send it back to me, please, just keep it for yourself!!!! just think of it as part of the package you already received from me!
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  1:05:53 PM  Show Profile
Okie doke!! Thanks

Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  1:13:43 PM  Show Profile
I just got an email flyer from Hancock's ~ 18-19th only, Simplicity patterns
are 5 for $5 (limit 10) Time to stock up on apron patterns~LOL

Unfortunately , all the Hancock's in town have closed here. wahhhhhhh!!!!!!!
But maybe some of you other's can partake.

http://simplicity.com

Bonne
Go to Top of Page

Naomi Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

1563 Posts

Naomi
Sunshine State
USA
1563 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  1:17:27 PM  Show Profile
But hey, If you have a joanns, they'll be having their Simplicity patterns on sale too....
Not sure of the sale dates, so you might need to check on their site...99 cents....not bad at all eh?:P

~Naomi~

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be-Abraham Lincoln
Check out my blog:http://thebellamodiste.blogspot.com/
and my Etsy store: www.shesewsbytheseashore.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  1:27:15 PM  Show Profile
Bonne, let me know what numbers you need and I'll pick them up for you and get then to you if you would like! That is where I work now! LOL......starting tomorrow evening for a few hours.

And I have my list ready. I already have all of the Simplicity apron patterns and only have 1 on my list, so just let me know and I can pick up 9 for you if you want them.

G

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
http://auntgeorge.etsy.com

"Made With Love"
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  1:37:35 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Miss Beverely I need a camera, no digital at this house. My mom has one but she lives 7 hours away and is a crazy woman with hers. I love it. Okay still on page 58, 2 more to read, gosh you girls have been having fun, Oh Bev, love the stipes and flowers, great getting addicted to wanting to do aprons, yoyo's and hmmmmm I am in big fat trouble now!!!!!

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

nitere
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Amy
Hickory NC
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  1:41:14 PM  Show Profile
ok ladies, i finished my first child's apron. i made it for my daughter.

please check out the other photos of it on my blog, including one of her modeling it. thanks!

http://www.buraellen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 133 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Apron Sew-A--Long...read and then move to the new Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page