Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Apron Sew-A--Long...read and then move to the new
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Apron Sew-A--Long...read and then move to the new Next Topic
Page: of 133

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  09:11:40 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the greetings my friends!! I cannot believe that a computer relationship with other women would actually seem like real life friendship! It is awesome really, huh? I am no longer a scoffer about that whole thing.

I usually purchase my bias tape because I am so lazy about that part. For a quilt, I will make it myself to match, but for aprons and other smaller projects, I almost always buy it. I think it is about $1.30 for a package, so it is not too expensive. For a quilt it would be I guess. I use a little over 2 packages for an apron.
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  09:23:40 AM  Show Profile
I am lazy, and for less than $2 a pack... I just buy it. I think homemade bias tape looks better and matches perfectally, also you can control the fiber content.... wrights bias tape is 50% poly 50% cotton.
Maybe one day when the kids are a bit older and I have some more time...

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com www.Botanical-Bath.com www.BotanicalBath.etsy.com http://botanicalbath.blogspot.com/

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  11:05:21 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing your experience with bias tape :)

Naomi, what did you use when cutting the material for your bias tape? Regular scissors or a rotary cutter?

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Naomi Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

1563 Posts

Naomi
Sunshine State
USA
1563 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  11:20:41 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, I used a rotary cutter, I think its easier then scissors when cutting unmarked straight edges, just mark at beginning and end of cut, line up your metal ruler, and cut away...didnt take long at all...
cheers,

~Naomi~

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be-Abraham Lincoln
Check out my blog:http://thebellamodiste.blogspot.com/
and my Etsy store: www.shesewsbytheseashore.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  12:26:00 PM  Show Profile
Naomi yours always looks so pretty..
i do always like the finished look I get..
But i get so aggrevated.. I just end up flinging it across the room..
& grabbing a package.. I HATE how expensive it is though.. I think it's crazy.. Something about spending THAT much.. on that smidgy amount of fabric.. i don't know.. just gets me worked up..
( But then.. what doesn't.. right?)

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  2:41:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
Ok, I need to branch out and get a little more creative. I think my aprons are becoming a bit boring....snore!!!!! But anyways, here is today's. I think I am going to use some of that cowgirl pinup fabric next. I promise I will be a bit more creative!!

Keep Smiling.....Bev
Check out my shoppe at www.honeybeez.etsy.com
www.beehavenacres.blogspot.com , www.beehavenmaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  2:46:48 PM  Show Profile
No.. No.. No..!!
Yours are never boring!!
They are very inspiring Bev!!
Silly Rabbit!!
You know how much we all love your Aprons!!!

It's funny.. it doesn't matter that it is the same style or not.. it's the choice of fabric that you select..
& the color combinations.. that make the Apron..
& then the embelishments that you use.. or don't.. !!
Each & everyone is unique.. & all are so treasured..
This one is really so sweet.. nice pretty pastels..
See.. they all have their own personalities!!!

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  2:55:42 PM  Show Profile
Bev, I agree! This apron is very pretty...you go girl!!

I added my Mini Aprons to my blog...take a look

www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot

...til the next time ~ queenofdreamsz

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  3:14:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
OH, you guys are the best! Where were you all when I needed you during the crisis years of my life?????? So glad to have all my great friends, now, tho. But anyways....I am going to cook up something much more interesting.

I got some new trim in the mail today.....cannot wait to use it. It is a ruffle edging like I usually used that is white and is embellished with red rick-rack.....way too cute!!!!

By the way, Kathie....I have been doing a bunch of reading on other threads.....you are the queen of the prom, you know.......I think you get the title of most beloved.......and it is easy to see why....you are are riot and always sooo soooooo encouraging and loving.......etc...etc....etc...

Your tiara is in the mail!!

Keep Smiling.....Bev
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  3:17:02 PM  Show Profile
Bev, Boring - No Way! I get excited when I see that you have posted a picure of a new apron. I am on dial up so everything take a little bit to down load. then I check out your etsy to see more views!

Keep posting.

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com www.Botanical-Bath.com www.BotanicalBath.etsy.com http://botanicalbath.blogspot.com/

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  3:30:50 PM  Show Profile
Jeez...elizabeth get with the program you soap making apron wearer!!! Hurry up and get something done about that!!!
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  3:58:30 PM  Show Profile
I know! But But But there is only one good service in columbus, and I dont want to pay $79 a month for it. It would totally cut into my fabric purchasing! Since I pay $10, that leaves $70 extra per month to buy fabric and books! I wait for the pictures to load... although wireless would be nice! So I think Columbus should go the way of SF and provide free wireless to all who can recieve the signal! Viva La Wireless!

E-

Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  4:06:17 PM  Show Profile
Hey there, I think everyone told me I could post stuff I'm making or have made on this thread...this isn't an apron but just wanted y'all to see what I did with my yucky burgandy colored dressform

I used the Powerknit fabric that is used in Bra and Girdle making...picked up a bolt of it at a thrift store years ago..

I even covered the metal pedestal and legs

So from Shabby Crap to "Shabby Chic"

...til the next time ~ queenofdreamsz

www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz

Edited by - queenofdreamsz4u on Jul 16 2007 4:08:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Naomi Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

1563 Posts

Naomi
Sunshine State
USA
1563 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  4:52:38 PM  Show Profile
Love the cherries, love the flowers and stripes...and the lacy dress form...way cool..I'd totally do that...except...I LOVE my BRIGHT red dress form, it completely matches my red and white pillows I made for my room yesterday, and the colors i want for my room(red, white, and a touch of elegantly used black...not goth...yuck no...but french...hehe)
cheers,

~Naomi~

Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  5:11:00 PM  Show Profile
Na...you crack me up!!!!
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  5:22:25 PM  Show Profile
Hey Naomi,

Well if my dressform had been RED it would have stayed that way..LOL I'm talking about that drab burgandy-brown color.. Actually, chartreuse green or turquoise would have been preferred if I had this stretchy fabric in those colors

My studio theme is Alice in Wonderland and my house was built in 1953 and has the knotty pine walls and ceilings so the retro colors of chartruese and turquoise really fit

....til next time ~ queenofdreamsz

www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com

Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  5:23:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
Stephanie....great make over of the dress form!!

E - I feel your pain....we only have dial up at the farm....when I am there (which is about 1/2 the time these days, I am off line....takes too dang long to do anything! And that is our only choice for now....too rural!

Keep Smiling.....Bev

Edited by - Bee Haven Maven on Jul 16 2007 5:26:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  5:31:33 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie: Love the dress form. She looks so sexy!

Oh Bev, never boring!! Love all the aprons because they are homemade and the coolest color combos!! Keep on doing what you do!
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  6:20:47 PM  Show Profile
Hey Elizabeth,

Since I really don't know how rural you are...this info may be useless I pay $65 a month for my Cable High Speed service and I'm out in the county but am lucky enough to be in the service area of Time Warner Cable.

I disconnected my landline phone and got each of us a cell phone cheaper than the landline bill then got the cable internet..

Don't know if you have any of those options available to you...I pay way more for my internet than I ever have but they are the only game around these mountains.

You must be lucky and not be having all that disconnect stuff going on with the dial-up...That's when I changed over....no choice. I couldn't do any business and took foreverrrrr to upload or download anything.

...til next time ~ queenofdreamsz

quote:
Originally posted by BotanicalBath

I know! But But But there is only one good service in columbus, and I dont want to pay $79 a month for it.
E-

Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  7:53:28 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, that dressform is kinda sexy..now if she could just loose some inches off that waistline she could be a pinup dressform

My Mini Aprons are on my blog:

My Farmgirl ~ Past and Present Photo Album is here.. You can look at my Dairy goat herd from yesteryear that I miss soooo much!

www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com/farmgirl.html

Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  9:30:55 PM  Show Profile
Actually, I am with in the city limits. So getting service isnt a problem, just the cost. I had road runner before Bill, and it was great. I had SBC dsl, which is about as bad as AOL dial-up. Now I am on People PC... and it is slow, but it rarely ever kicks you off. I can leave, go shopping, come home and I am still logged in. But the bottom line is that I dont want to pay for it... I would rather have a few more toys at this point.

E-

Go to Top of Page

Naomi Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

1563 Posts

Naomi
Sunshine State
USA
1563 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  11:17:36 PM  Show Profile
jessica...."Na"...thats a new one...Never knew I could shorten my name...cooooool....hmm....so lets see...a list here...
Naomi
nana(pronounced nay nay)
manona(ma no nay)
nomie(um...yeah...)
and now...Na...
quite a list I've got going...sweeeet..;)

Stephanie,
I completely understand wanting to cover the brownish burgundy...you'd think that they'd have decorative covers you could buy...and maybe they do...but come on!...I mean...yes you can make a cover...but valuable time is lost on that when it could be spent sewing other things...:P...maybe thats an idea..you could start making and selling pretty knit fabric covers for the people with.....dare i say...ugly....dress forms...:P
your studio sounds so fun...I assume you have a "looking glass" on the wall? haha...how about a bottle with a tag that reads "drink me"(hat was what it said..right...been a few years since i last read Alice in Wonderland...hehe...)oooh and playing card guards..poster size...on either side of the door.....yeesh...maybe once I've my own place I'll have a room like that..you could have so much fun with that theme....haha
hmm...I've rambled a bit....ooh well...
cheers!

~Naomi~

Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2007 :  01:33:20 AM  Show Profile
Hey Naomi,

That's a great idea for me to start making the knit covers for the dressforms..You think my slogan "Go from Shabby Crap to Shabby Chic" would fly....woohoo..RITFLOL Just a joke ladies!!!

Yes, here I am at 3:24am taking a break and being goofy And yes, I do have the bottle tagged with "Drink Me" in the studio....I drink some everynight so I can create all night long!

And I have a vintage looking glass hanging on one wall where the alice fabric is. I've got a two volume book set from the 1930's with awesome illustrations that I'm going to re-design and blow up to hang around the studio...

I'm looking for more vintage Alice in Wonderland fabric if anyone comes across any.

Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2007 :  01:37:56 AM  Show Profile
Hey Elizabeth,

Boy you have willpower...I would pull my hair out if I had to deal with dial up again...But at least you don't get disconnected..that's a great plus.. Yeah, Road Runner (time warner) is way too expensive in my area but they have no competition at all around here. I was paying $24.99 a month for high speed down on the coast.

I know what you mean about keeping that cash for more fabric and goodies So much fabric and only one lifetime to use all of it up!!

Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2007 :  02:12:44 AM  Show Profile
It was hard.... Yes very hard since I just got back from my dads who has cable modem. Oh how quickly I was able to process credit cards.... and I did check out the angry chicken site. So many cool pictures to see on the Japanese craft mag page. Yes it is hard, but until either Bill gets a job (yeah I do support us with soap) or he become half computer interested... he did get my hand me down laptop... we will stay in the slow lane on the information super highway.

But Oh how I wish I had it.... I did build the website on dial up with a new Sony vaio. < Yes Mommy has cool big toys since she makes all of the money. The day Daddy makes more money than Mommy.... well then what is Mommy's is Mommy's, and what's Daddy's is Mommy's too. Hey I had to gestate birth the kids.

E-

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 133 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Apron Sew-A--Long...read and then move to the new Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page