Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Bag made from pillow case
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Bag made from pillow case Next Topic  

kreativeblonde
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Amanda
Summerland Ca
USA
135 Posts

Posted - May 13 2007 :  1:24:13 PM  Show Profile
I was looking in the newest Martha Stewart Living Magazine and saw an idea for using pillow cases to make bags/purses. It looks fairly simple actually. And if you used larger pillow cases you could have a larger bag.

Here's the directions:
1. Trim 1/4 inch off the closed end, and cut the case in half on the diagonal. Turn the fabric of each of the four diagonal cut edges over by 1/4 inch, twice; pin and hem.
2. Place one pillowcase half inside the other, lining up bottom edges; pin, and sew at front where the fabrics overlap. Repeat on the other side. Turn fabric inside out, and hem case's cut bottom. Trim with pinking shears. Turn case right side out, tie top ends into a know, and you have a carefree summer bag.
It comes with photos, so if you need to see it you could probably find it on her website. It's called,'sleeper of a bag' in the magazine.
Amanda
http://www.theheadlettuce.blogspot.com

Too much of a good thing is wonderful.
Mae West

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - May 16 2007 :  10:21:50 AM  Show Profile
Thanks fo the info. Sounds like a cute hobo bag.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 16 2007 :  10:38:40 AM  Show Profile
I have the Magazine, I will check it out. My problem is following instructions, I do much better if someone just shows me how to do something. So since none of you handy sewing people live nearby I usually am at a loss for what to do.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

newheart
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Margie
Owings Mills Maryland
USA
471 Posts

Posted - May 20 2007 :  03:57:02 AM  Show Profile
I want to make this bag.....but I need to see the instructions up front...I don't get Ms magazine but maybe her internet site would have it........

Can someone photo-copy the article and send it to me..I will send cost of copy and postage...

MARGIE

Edited by - newheart on May 20 2007 04:30:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - May 20 2007 :  05:12:44 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Nancy Gartenman

I have the Magazine, I will check it out. My problem is following instructions, I do much better if someone just shows me how to do something. So since none of you handy sewing people live nearby I usually am at a loss for what to do.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

Nancy, I am the SAME way. I can't follow instructions at all. I'm a sewer and a quilter but I can't figure out patterns to save my life! I always design my own. I've bought patterns before but they just collect dust. I always read the instructions, say "HUH????" and then put it away! You're not alone!!!!

check out my blog: http://catholiccountrygirl.wordpress.com

Edited by - RachelLeigh on May 20 2007 05:13:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

threebusybees
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Mandi
Myrtle Beach South Carolina
222 Posts

Posted - May 20 2007 :  05:13:20 AM  Show Profile
Margie,

Send me your snail mail addy I will send it in the morning. I have a copier so no worries.

Mandi

"There will no longer be so many pleasant things to look at if responsible people do not do something about the unpleasant ones." Madeleine L"Engle
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - May 20 2007 :  05:49:10 AM  Show Profile
What a great bag!! I think I'll make one too.

Here are the instructions online!!

http://www.marthastewart.com Then just type in Sleeper of a bag in the search box and it is the fourth one. Full instructions and photos. Looks really cute!! Thanks so much for the tip!!

Georgann

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
http://auntgeorge.wordpress.com/
My new apron's only blog!

Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!

Edited by - Aunt George on May 20 2007 05:55:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - May 20 2007 :  06:07:46 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the link, Aunt George. I lvoe the print of the pillowcase they used. Yup, it's a great hobo bag, perfect for summer. I have to try this soon.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

kreativeblonde
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Amanda
Summerland Ca
USA
135 Posts

Posted - May 20 2007 :  7:05:32 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for posting the link Aunt George. I was just about to get everyone's emails, and planned on making a trek to the Post Office tomorrow. I always forget about just going to the source. Well, actually I DO remember-it's just usually days later :-)

Amanda

http://www.theheadlettuce.blogspot.com

Too much of a good thing is wonderful.
Mae West
Go to Top of Page

Michelle Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Michelle
Many Louisiana
USA
158 Posts

Posted - May 20 2007 :  7:47:28 PM  Show Profile
Now, how did I miss that in the magazine? I looked at mine a few days ago. I have a problem with purses and bags. The problem is, I cannot pass up a cute one in the store... and I cannot pass up a craft to make a cute one! These daughters of mine have inherited this problem. My girls and I will definitely try this out this summer. Last summer we did purses made from books, and the summer before we did kool aid & capri sun purses. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Bag made from pillow case Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page